Fortnightly Writing Competition - CARPENTARIAN

Started by SilverSpook, Fri 09/10/2015 12:07:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Congratulations Baron, Ponch and WHAM. It's no shame to lose to such worthy opponents.
And now, Baron, give us a topic I'm actually comfortable with. ;)

Baron

Thanks everyone for the votes.  I cringed a little when Ponch didn't win, especially after he mentioned the shelf-full of John Carpenter DVDs.  I only ever saw John Carpenter's Vampires and Escape From LA as a kid (in retrospect, the only video store in town was into really cheesy movies....), but like the other contributors I read up on a bunch of JC's other movies and actually ended up watching The Thing based on a review I read about it.  So I guess my eyes have been opened to something new, and that's probably somehow made me into a better, broader person.  But Ponch's piece had something that mine didn't: PASSION.  You could read it in between his dangling participles, that here was an author that had deep and powerful feelings about Mr. Carpenter and his work.  Sure I read the rules first before writing, but that only resulted in a technical victory.  I think Ponch's piece was more than a sum of its parts that we categorically voted on: it was gripping, emotional, and stirringly well-written, and in my opinion deserved to beat mine, which was just a bunch of goofy tropes from various movies mashed together in a semi-coherent manner.

But it seems you can't talk sense into good judges these days, so I humbly accept the crown, barely, again, and will have the next competition up in a jiffy.  Stay tuned for the next exciting instalment of...

The Fortnightly Writing Competition!

Ponch

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It was nice to be a part of this competition again. I had fun and we all learned that WHAM lives in a house made of shame and lies. :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk