Adventure: Welcome to the Genre

Started by Akril15, Wed 21/10/2015 22:59:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Akril15

Thalia James' job in the Computer Game Maintenance Squad is seldom an easy one. After one of her assignments nearly ends in disaster, she is asked to track down five characters believed to be responsible for a series of criminal activities throughout the 2D adventure genre. With that to grapple with as well the mysterious condition from her past that has inexplicably resurfaced, the first annual Adventure Game Awards and the grand opening of something called the Mega-Game, this adventure is bound to be anything but mundane.

------------------

The third installment in the Thalia James series has been in production for the past 2-3 years, and is finally nearing completion!

Unlike its predecessors, the majority of art, sound and music in AWTTG is original. You will still be seeing a number of familiar locales and characters, but there will be a lot of new places and faces as well (plus a few characters that will be familiar to you if you have played Adventure: The Inside Job and Adventure: All in the Game).

There will be puzzles, there will be inventory items, there will be dialog trees...

...and there will also be wardrobe changes.

------------------

UPDATE (11-9-17):

First off, I want to apologize for abandoning this thread for so long. For over a year, I was in a pretty bad place where not only was I unable to work on my game, but even simple projects felt like things I had to force myself to do, and the pleasure I got from them was minimal. As of a few weeks ago, I've finally gotten to the point where I'm able to work on Adventure: Welcome to the Genre again.

The game is ready for beta-testing (drop me a reply or a PM if you're interested, and I also have a somewhat more atypical (and hopefully, more fun) request: If you've got any questions you'd like to ask about Thalia and/or her series (either serious or non-serious), please send them my way.

(Also, I feel I should clarify something I said in my original spiel for the game: when I said the game's music would be mostly original, I meant that it wasn't ripped from other games. Almost none of it was created specifically for this game and is mostly royalty-free tracks, but it should still sound good.)

Also, here's another screenshot:

UPDATE (11-15-17): Beta-testing is underway.

UPDATE (1-23-18): The game is finally out! Check out the AGS page here or just download it directly here!

Sslaxx

Are we going to run into any villains like Madeline or Central? Any cameos?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Akril15

Quote from: Sslaxx on Wed 21/10/2015 23:09:25
I'm not familiar with either character, but I'm not sure if I can give a yes or a no at this stage.

There also is something related to cameos which I'm planning to elaborate on this weekend, if all goes well.

Mandle

OH MY GOD!!! The first two games are on my all-time favourite AGS list!!! I have re-played both many times! I had no idea that a third game was in the works! Sooooo excited now!

CrashPL

The general idea behind the project is great, plus mixing such diverse art/design styles into one package makes the game, as a whole, really unique! Looking foward to this one as well. ;)

selmiak

cool beans, great clash of styles. I'd totally animate that EGA sun to make it even more trippy, just for the sake and glory of the hypnotoad in the next picture. ;-D

Sslaxx

Quote from: Akril15 on Thu 22/10/2015 05:36:45
Quote from: Sslaxx on Wed 21/10/2015 23:09:25
I'm not familiar with either character, but I'm not sure if I can give a yes or a no at this stage.

There also is something related to cameos which I'm planning to elaborate on this weekend, if all goes well.
You mean you've not played any Wadjet Eye games?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Akril15

Quote from: Sslaxx on Thu 22/10/2015 23:58:52
You mean you've not played any Wadjet Eye games?
I might have played one or two, but to be honest, I spend so much time making games that I rarely have the time to play them.

Akril15

And the cameo-related thing I mentioned a couple posts ago is now a thing!

Cyrus

By the way, regarding these five criminal characters... I've always thought it would be great to have a team comprised of drastically different adventure game villains, similarly to supervillain teams in comics (for instance, LeChuck, detective Ryan O'Riley from Laura Bow, and Fluffy from Toonstruck), and watch how they get along with each other. For instance, Fluffy could get a place at LeChuck's Carnival of the Damned, alongside Dinghy Dog and Wharf Rat. Or some dialogues could take place between them, like:

O'Riley: You know, my beloved no longer loved me, so I killed her.
LeChuck: I also tried to kill mine, so that she could begin loving me.

Akril15

That is a neat idea, Cyrus. One thing that should be said about this particular scenario is that not all the villainous characters involved were originally written as villains. :wink:

Here's another screenshot, featuring a character that some of you may recognize:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s249/Akril15/awttgscreenshot2_zpsejortgws.png

Also, if you have an AGS game and would like one of your characters to make a cameo in this one, check out this thread!

Cyrus

Yep, this is from Tenebrous in Torin's Passage :wink:

Akril15

Just leaving a quick update:

Work on the game has slowed down due to some personal issues, but it is still very close to completion. I can't say at this point when it will be finished, but hopefully it will be done within the next few months.

SilverSpook

LMAO @ radiating high quaintness levels.  Comic gold, dude!

arj0n

Quote from: Akril15 on Wed 21/10/2015 22:59:11
The third installment in the Thalia James series has been in production for the past 2-3 years, and is finally nearing completion!
YEEY, awesome!!

Akril15

In case anyone watching this thread didn't know, there's still a chance to have one of your AGS characters make a cameo in this game. Check out this thread for details.

Cassiebsg

If the game is freeware, I can get you a character of one of the games I'm working on. A colonial warrior from the original Battlestar Galactica. It's a 3D model, so you like, you can just send me the BG (or a sketch of it, so I can pose the character and send you the sprite(s) (including small animation).

Anyway, I understand if you rather be out of IP characters and unfinished games. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Akril15

The game is going to be freeware, so that character should be just fine. I'll PM you a picture of the scene when I have the time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk