The Mystery Of Rakkathua - New screen and progress

Started by Martyn, Thu 22/10/2015 16:03:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn

The Mystery Of Rakkathua

Chapter One - Light of the past.

Alright AGS people!
I want to announce that I'm working on a short game about a disappearance on a remote island.

In the first chapter of The Mystery Of Rakkathua,  the search for a lost father leads to into a twisting plot of intrigue and secrets. Follow Karin
when she puzzle her way forward and begin to uncover the true fate of her father and the mysterious past of the island.

Karin, Bernt, Micke the American ship dude and Kippis guide and masterchef.
Some of the characters in the game, more to come.

What can be expected:

* It will be a free game, but i'm thinking of put up a Kickstarter later on.
* Game length, will be rather short. not a commercial fulllength game.
* The act will be taking place on Rakkathua, there will be a bunch of people and some puzzles.

Features:

Platform   PC
Perspective   Third-Person
Control      Point-and-click
Gameplay        Quest
Genre       Adventure
Graphic Style   Pixel art
Resolution    320x200
Presentation   2D
Media      Internet download

Notes:

Right now, the game is entirely in Swedish, it's easier for me to work with. It will be translated into English when I'm done, So do not despair.

Progress:

Story/Puzzles - 90%
Scripting - 65%
Graphics - 60%
SFX/Music - 10%

Estimated release: Autumn 2017

Development Diary:

Feb 11th, 2017
* My friend Johan has joined me on my journey.
  He will make the music and sound.

Feb 6th, 2016
* Added a new and fresh screen from the island.
* In game, i Have add a "coin menu" as in Curse of Monkey Island, with three choices, talk, look and use.
* I have set the deadline to April for the demo.

Dec 20th, 2015
* Sneak preview of one of 10 location from the island.
* The game has a new name, The Mystery Of Rakkathua.
* A new portraits, shows one above,  Kipis.

Oct 28th, 2015
* Have begin on the first background on the island.
* I'M working on a last pieces at the demo.
* Has made two new portraits, shows one above, Micke.

Oct 22th, 2015
* Publically announced the project.

Stupot

Looks cracking. Keep it up :-)

Monsieur OUXX

Wow. Really, really cool graphics. I hope the story/puzzles will be of the same quality.

Blondbraid

Looks beautiful, and your depiction of Stockholm looks spot on! (nod)

cianty

Wow, those graphics look awesome! Really really cool! The story also sounds very promising.

Just one honest word though: Please make sure some native speaker will work on the texts. I found the introductory post near unbearable to read, which is a huge shame considering the great graphics and premise.

Keep it up!
ca. 70% completed

Martyn

Thanks! :smiley:

regarding my english skills, know it is a bit limited sorry! but I trying! :grin:
don't you worry about game, will fix some one to help me!

Creamy

Sweden in the 80s...a daughter investigating the disappearence of her father...Are we talking about the SAMARITAN PA...nevermind (roll)

The art looks gorgeous.
One minor quibble : Karin looks a bit like a boy (portrait). You may try to reduce her chin. 

AprilSkies

this looks so beautiful!
all is perfect to my eyes, both backgrounds and portraits!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

AnasAbdin

I think heaven is going to be an eternity of Sweden in the 80s. For some reason the first screenshot made me go and listen to "Det blåser en vind". Your choice of colors is flawless. The story is intriguing. I'm so looking for this :) good luck.

Gribbler

I love the art! Looks awesome!

selmiak

Everyone is in awe? Right so!
That's some sweet pixelart you've got there. And traveling around the world and searching for missing persons and ancient archeological stuff and big mysteries is always cool! Please keep us updated!
How long will it be? Are you going for a commercial release or will it be free for all?

Martyn

Thanks everyone! :cheesy:

* It will be a free game, but i'm thinking of put up a Kickstarter later on.
* Game length, will be rather short. not a commercial fulllength game.
* what to expect, yes, the act will be taking place on the island, there will be a bunch of people on the island, and some puzzles.

that's what I can tell you now! :grin:

CaptainD

The characters seem interesting and those screens are wonderful!  All the best with development.

Gurok

Ummm... these backgrounds are beautiful. I wish you the best of success.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Snarky

Looks great, and from that first background could easily be taken for a sequel to The Samaritan Paradox.

Just a small thing, but it might be best to get it sorted early on. "Mickelsön" in English would probably be "Mickel's Island" or "Mickel Island". "Mickels Island" suggests that it's named after someone named "Mickels".

Kumpel

Don't you mean someone named "Mickel", Snarky? The correct spelling for an island of a guy named Mickels would be "Mickels' Island" I think.

Anyway b2t:

This looks fantastic Martyn! I love your "The Journey Down" easteregg. I hope the character says something good about these masks (laugh).

You logo design reminds me of some 80's TV Show but I really cant remember which one. I think it was a sitcom...

Good luck for your project!
Kumpel

Snarky

Quote from: Kumpel on Tue 27/10/2015 14:26:58
Don't you mean someone named "Mickel", Snarky? The correct spelling for an island of a guy named Mickels would be "Mickels' Island" I think.

No. In English, island names are usually just the name (almost always the family name or peerage) of the person they're named after, without a possessive: e.g. Scott Island, Ellis Island, Maury Island, etc. In fact, in the US it's against official naming regulations to use a possessive S in place names (with only a handful of exceptions)!

Although a few islands elsewhere do have a possessive (I assume; I can't actually think of any), that can't be the case for "Mickels Island", since it's lacking an apostrophe altogether.

(Some old names omit the apostrophe even if the etymology calls for it, but this is quite uncommon.)

ThreeOhFour

Martyn

Kumpel: Thanks! Glad you saw it! Is actually four easter egg in that room "four different games" :grin:
Will certainly place more easteregg in the game!

concerning the name: I have no idea! :wink: I write That in a hurry after the swedish name on the game!
Hummm.... In Swedish The name is Mickelsön after Mickelsmässan on 29 September.
so in english thats is Michaelmas, and than it shud be Michael Island instead??
but the name will be change, as I wrote! After all of the Easter Island's not actually Easter Island! its Rapa Nui!?

Snarky

Quote from: Martyn on Wed 28/10/2015 09:00:23
Hummm.... In Swedish The name is Mickelsön after Mickelsmässan on 29 September.
so in english thats is Michaelmas, and than it shud be Michael Island instead??

In English it would probably be Michaelmas Island ("michaelmas" is pronounced "mickelmuss", BTW). In fact: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaelmas_Island

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk