Help me find a laptop to buy

Started by Babar, Fri 30/10/2015 13:47:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

Perhaps this is an odd topic for this site, but since there's such a large concentration of you awesome people, I figured I could ask for help here.

My current laptop, which I got around 2009 (a Core2Duo Toshiba Satellite) has served me very well, and still has absolutely nothing wrong with it (aside from a reduced battery life and the "3" key having come off, I suppose). The issue is that the work/research I'm doing now has requirements that are beyond it, most specifically, no USB 3.0 ports. It's a bit complicated, but I can't use a converter, backwards compatibility isn't going to help here, and installing a USB 3.0 on this system isn't going to work.

So I figured this was as good an opportunity as any to move up to a new laptop. Something I can use for my work right now, as well as keep for everything else for hopefully at least another 5-6 years.
The optimal specs for my work (other than the aforementioned USB 3.0 port) are essentially:
i5 Quadcore or more
2.4 GHz or more
8GB RAM or more

I have no issue with sizes (although the screen needs to be less than 24 inches, which I don't think will be a problem), weight, battery life (will mostly use it plugged in), brands, OSes (my work requires Windows 7/8, which I have a license for, although it would be nice to have enough space to dualboot with linux), or HD space (although again, this being for long term use, and hopefully dualboot so something as low as 120GB probably wouldn't work).

I'm looking locally as well, obviously, but I've got an opportunity to be able to order it from the US (if I can decide within the next week). I've looked around online using various sites (eg. amazon and newegg) with some relevant (and loads of irrelevant) filters, but that weren't very helpful. In fact, someone suggested a laptop model to me which fit my criteria, and then when I googled it, I got an amazon page, which I hadn't seen when I was using the filters on amazon.

Can someone suggest to me some procedure through which I can find the cheapest choices for my criteria?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk