MAGS November: "There be monsters" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/11/2015 01:06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Haha, nice one Eggman. I cracked up at the first verse.

So, 24 hours (or thereabout),
To finish your games and get them out.
So squash them bugs and find your hosts,
And upload your wonderful monsters and ghosts.
Don't worry if they be a little unpolished,
As long as they're fun you won't be admonished.
Still more to do? Time to beg, steal and borrow,
'Cause (not to labour the point) the deadline..
...is...
...tomorrow

Chicky

I'm with MiteWiseacreLives on feeling sick,
finishing this game has been quite the trick.
Only 13 hours left and and much to implement, I'll be leaving work early with a fierce intent.

Myshkin

Hey I'm first to finish?!
I put it down to being in Australia where it is now nearly midnight...

So anyway here we go, presenting:

QuoteSong Animals is a short adventure puzzle game, featuring a variety of strange and fantastic creatures on a quest to free their friends. Explore surreal watercolour worlds and use the power of music to rescue your animal friends.

Download:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1979/
(it's a gamejolt link - if anyone has any problems let me know and I'll upload a mirror)

I feel like I stretched the theme here somewhat, having made a game that doesn't actually have any words in it. But it is still a game about monsters "rhyming" in a way. All the art in this one was done by my sister.
Good luck to the others in your last few hours - looking forward to playing what you've come up with!

And now I'm going to bed.
(He said)

Mandle

Ah damn, I thought I was first,
But I'll not let that diminish my thirst,
For monsters that will fill all our nightmares with dread,
PLEASE CLICK THE DOWNLOAD BELOW OR YOU'RE DEAD!!!

*************************************************************************************************
MONSTER WANTS IN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~MONSTER WANTS IN (MAGS VERSION)~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the version of the game I created for the November,2015 MAGS contest.

I plan to expand the gameplay of this game, polish it further, and eventually release a complete version.

This version represents only the bare-bones gameplay which is basically just "Whack-A-Mole" at the moment.

A monster is breaking through the door from the other side. The idea is to hold the door by bracing the sections it is attacking.

Just click on the dark spots that appear on the door as fast as you can. There is no way to survive the encounter with the monster. Your goal is to outlast its onslaught for as long as possible. Your final score is how long you survived plus how many times you blocked the monster.

In the full release all this will change: You will be able to fight back against the monster and possibly even win, or maybe just outlast it until dawn when it will slink away back into the crawlspaces.

Anyways...Good luck and...

Don't lose face!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Ross Kevin Moffat AKA Mandle~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Game Features:

* A MONSTER!!!
* Atmosphere
* WHACK-A-MOLE!!!
* Animation
* Sound Effects
* VIOLENCE!!!
* Voice acting of an excellent quality!!!

Please don't forget to vote in the 2015 NOVEMBER MAGS CONTEST if you played this game and all the other worthy entries...

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

BEST EXPERIENCED IN A DARK ROOM WITH HEADPHONES AND FULL VOLUME
Headphones Disclaimer:
Spoiler
A lot of games that suggest headphones do so because there is some ridiculously loud jumpscare sound effect (mostly that same one). Not so in my game: I just found that some of the sounds were quite subtle and, to my ears at least, were much easier heard with headphones. There are a few loud noises but I avoided the usual "blow-the-player's-eardrums-out" variety.
[close]

Atavismus

***crunch***

Hi all :)

So, how many hours left?
Our game is almost ready, I guess we'll post it tonight.
But the english translation (we made the game in french) will come a bit later from a french AGSer living in Philadelphia (it will still be 30 november there ^^).

More news soon ;)

Cya and take care!

***crunch***

Chicky

My entry is so very nearly ready! I hope to have a link before midnight, fingers firmly crossed!

Currently pulling my hair out searching for bugs.

Eggie

I'm still writing vital dialogue
There will be no bug-fixin'
I hope that all these errors
Don't lead to my crucifixion

selmiak

@Emont:
I freed an angel but couldn't get any higher with it. Are there more pplz to free?

Looking forward for more cool MAGS games ;-D

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 30/11/2015 22:38:11
@Emont:
I freed an angel but couldn't get any higher with it. Are there more pplz to free?

HINT:
Spoiler
There is a way across the chasm to the right...
[close]

SPOILER:
Spoiler
Select the birdy character and click on the tree you can see across the chasm
[close]

Awesome game by the way Emont. Calming graphics and music, and challenging puzzles.

I've found about 4 friends I believe but a tad stuck on one of the sound puzzles. Damn my tone-deafness!!!

PS: a Save Game feature would be nice

MiteWiseacreLives!

Here it is! After 15 sleepless nights and the sweatiness of palms..

He needs no introduction..
It has teh grateness froms within insides!
Teh Scourge of teh Underwurlds!
WITH RHYMINGS HE COMES AMONG TEH MONSTERS!
OCEANSPIRIT DENNIS: The Terror of the Ice Princess
[/b]
[imgzoom]https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/849b/1srwhjzqbnlhsdm6g.jpg[/imgzoom]

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1981/

*Edit: F5 to save F6 to reload

Mandle

Slight fix for my game:

The cursor has been changed from the hand icon to the pointer icon. This was something I had meant to do before release but forgot.

It makes the game quite a bit easier to play, so please check it out at the same download link if you downloaded the hand icon version already:

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Chicky

I've finished! I'm uploading now whilst doing a final playthrough. Eeeeeeek!

*Edit*

Okay, here's a Google Drive link. I'll start uploading a temp mirror now.

Google Drive Download

*Edit edit: Left/Right keys to move, Space to interact. I'm still checking that this version is definitely completable, there will be bugs (potentially gamebreaking) i'm afraid so save often! (esc to bring up the rushed menu)

*3dit Updated link, see below.

*Updated the link again, fixed the save/load bug.

Eggie

I can't get through a playthrough
Without the damn thing crashing :(
Stu said 'a day' at 6AM
This loophole I will cash-in

Chicky

I'm happy to play by dem rules, although I have to go to sleep now so i'll have to live with my bugs for the time being :P

I think the restore game gui is broken in the version above, also spotted a few annoying visual glitches. Are we allowed to fix those sort of things after submitting? Maybe, maybe not? :-D

Eggie

I won't have time to play your game until I'm finished and I deserve the best damn it, Chicky.
do it. Dooooooo iiiiit!!

Chicky

Haha, you got me man! I was lying in bed and checked my phone and BAM! How could I ignore a such a Labeoufy call to arms.

Here's a new version with a few of the visual glitches fixed:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B79NVQD8Purzc3UzS1UyMUVoU0E/view?usp=sharing

Stupot

You're free to fix and tweak and change and
polish if it's dirty,
As long as somewhere in the world
It's still November thirty.

Nice one Chicky. Do you have a screenshot you want to use?

Lots of entries so far and more to come. What a juicy month this is turning out to be :-)

selmiak

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 30/11/2015 23:23:19
Quote from: selmiak on Mon 30/11/2015 22:38:11
@Emont:

HINT:
Spoiler
There is a way across the chasm to the right...
[close]

SPOILER:
Spoiler
Select the birdy character and click on the tree you can see across the chasm
[close]

Awesome game by the way Emont. Calming graphics and music, and challenging puzzles.

I've found about 4 friends I believe but a tad stuck on one of the sound puzzles. Damn my tone-deafness!!!

PS: a Save Game feature would be nice

Spoiler
Lol, I didn't even find the exit to the first screen  :-[
I just didn't know where I was clicking. It's just like pixeling on the PC...
[close]
some indication that you are on a clickable hotspot would be cool, like a different colored mousecursor or a text label or so. Well, a textlabel wouldn't quite so fit to the game, so maybe a sound... something!

HanaIndiana

Myshkin

Good points Selmiak and Mandle. As those puzzles only require clicking on something they seem really obvious to me, but for someone who's never played it before it's probably not clear what can even be clicked on. And I didn't consider a save feature necessary as the game is so short - but again, it's short for me because I made it!

So I'll probably add:
- save option
- cursor change on clickable objects

However I guess to be fair these should only be added after voting is over? Not sure of the rules on stuff like this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk