MAGS November: "There be monsters" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/11/2015 01:06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Creamy on Tue 01/12/2015 17:37:04
Spoiler
Try the opposite way.
[close]

I've only played your game so far. Very atmospheric. You have a thing for lightnings apparently. I must confess that I always put my headphones off when I'm advised to put them on :-[.

Hmmmm...I thought I had tried that...I'll give it another go...

Concerning the headphones: Yeah, a lot of games that suggest headphones do so because there is some ridiculously loud jumpscare sound effect (mostly that same one). Not so in my game: I just found that some of the sounds were quite subtle and, to my ears at least, were much easier heard with headphones. There are a few loud noises but I avoided the usual "blow-the-player's-eardrums-out" variety.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 01/12/2015 22:24:20
8 votes already, with an interesting demographic pattern. Can I remind everyone to try out all the entries before voting, to vote for your favourite and to vote only once. Cheers.

Wow...that's a lot of votes already...

Or maybe not...

I mean...There are 7 billion or so people on the planet, so the fact that 8 people out of 7 billion have already managed to play every single entry and vote on their favorite within 3 days is not entirely inconceivable...

Personally, I've only played 3 so far, and only 2 to completion...

But I'm probably just a slow-poke...

Billbis

Maybe this very inappropriate tweet can explain strange pattern in the voting...

Chicky

Mandle: It looks like Stu posted that just under 24 hours after voting was opened, 8 votes is quite a few in that case!

I was under the impression that voting was generally kept within the forum, after the last MAGS I had lots of friends wanting to vote but I told them it was more of a community competition and that it would be unfair if they voted (despite having played all the entries).

Maybe voting should be tied to an AGS forum login? Or is it already? Either way, I don't speak French but the translation of that tweet seems to read something like 'Vote for France, vote for Chic!' :p

I guess they forgot to add the 'y' ;)

How does everyone else feel about this Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding :)

Eggie

Let's not get all political about this. That's just gunna ruin the fun and community spirit.

Yo french guys! You go ahead and vote with your hearts, I trust you!

Creamy

EDIT : Yeah, whatever,  back to the games :-D

Chicky

Eggie: Hell yes, vote ahead I didn't mean to give that impression! Just giving my two pence, it would be a shame if MAGS entries ended up needing their own advertising campaigns :P Anyway, there are enough politics going on in the UK today already :-D

cat

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 02/12/2015 18:32:41
On the other hand the vote will be unfair to us if it's limited to the forum. 6 authors of Freak Chic are registered here and they won't vote for their own game. The other games are made by single authors. 
But it's the same rule for everyone! You choose your team yourself ???
Anyway, I think everyone who votes should have played (or at least tried to play) all games.

Other topic:
I'm stuck in the OSD game right at the beginning? I have no clue what I am supposed to do ???

Kumpel

Spoiler
Just swim right. Then you'll get to a new room
[close]

Stupot

Quote from: Billbis on Wed 02/12/2015 17:09:03
Maybe this very inappropriate tweet can explain strange pattern in the voting...
That would explain something.

I don't wish to suggest any foul play. There's nothing that says you can't invite people from outside the main forum to play your game but if you are going to ask people to vote it would be more sporting to invite them to try all the games and vote for their favourite as opposed to saying 'vote for ours'. It's a small community contest that sometimes struggles to get 8 votes in a whole month, let alone the first 12 hours (a number which has since doubled)

That said, I'm excited by the buzz this MAGS has going on and six games is insane to me (and it could easily have been 9 or 10). I got the "bumper" edition I'd hoped for in my first full month as host and I don't want to let this voting thing become a scandal.

Feel free to PM me if you have any concerns or suggestions, not just about voting but any aspect of the competition. I'm open to tweaking things going forward. My main concern in getting enough people to take part. :-*:-*

selmiak

Stupot++1

still have some more to play before I even consider voting.

Mandle

Quote from: Billbis on Wed 02/12/2015 17:09:03

Thank you Billbis for tweeting under that and explaining that voters should have played all the games first and then vote for their favorite.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I doubt 24 hours is long enough for that many people to have played all 6 games.

Stu has also mentioned that the votes have since doubled and I'm also going to assume that they are mostly for one game.

I think we need a restart on the voting at a seperate IP to the current one, and this time no kneejerk "Vote for our game" advertising campaigns.

I'm not saying this because I think my game has a chance of winning in a fair race (because I don't)...I'm saying this because I feel sorry for the people who are going to have their win tarnished for them (when they would quite probably have won normally), and for the other entrants who put a hell of a lot of work into their creations.

As things stand the voting is already pretty much a foregone conclusion when in reality none of those voters have played all the entries, and everyone in the contest (winners and non-winners) are going to end up dissatisfied with the outcome, and left wondering what could have been...

MAGS is not all about the winning. It's supposed to be a kick in the butt to get us making and releasing games for our own satisfaction and for the fun of the community...BUT the voting is an important part as well as it is supposed to provide some feedback and entertainment for the participants after the long, hard struggle to release their game.

The current voting, to put it bluntly, is people voting who have not played all the games, and quite probably have not even played the one they voted for. Thus it is meaningless.

I personally think a restart is needed. Just my two cents of course. I'm not going to complain or be offended or ragequit or anything if we just continue on... :)

Creamy

QuoteBut it's the same rule for everyone! You choose your team yourself ???
You're right, it wasn't relevant. Sorry about that.

Quoteit would be more sporting to invite them to try all the games and vote for their favourite
The word has been spread.

QuoteI personally think a restart is needed.
I think it's a good idea.

Ponch

It does seem a rather ungentlemanly thing to do. But that's just my two cents.

Enjoying the MAGS games so far, but there's no way I can complete them all until the end of this weekend at the earliest. Fun batch so far, and it's nice to see so many entries. (Wish I could have finished my own entry :undecided: )

[delete}

Great, so many monstrous entries! :)

And a major scandal ("Vote early and vote often."  Al Capone) is just the icing on the cake.

kconan

Quote from: Ponch on Thu 03/12/2015 01:22:30
It does seem a rather ungentlemanly thing to do. But that's just my two cents.

Agreed, inviting friends en masse to stuff the ballot box is ungentlemanly to say the least.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: cat on Wed 02/12/2015 19:02:44
Quote from: Creamy on Wed 02/12/2015 18:32:41
On the other hand the vote will be unfair to us if it's limited to the forum. 6 authors of Freak Chic are registered here and they won't vote for their own game. The other games are made by single authors. 
But it's the same rule for everyone! You choose your team yourself ???
Anyway, I think everyone who votes should have played (or at least tried to play) all games.

Other topic:
I'm stuck in the OSD game right at the beginning? I have no clue what I am supposed to do ???
Pro: bigger team to make game
Con: more of your votes going elsewhere
Although I think everyone gets that.. I'm trying to ignore all this because I really like Chic, silliness.
Btw: to get things going in OSD you have to try and fight the pirates like the unicorn says (in a roundabout rhyming way ;) )

edit: I just read the actual tweet, my french is not the best, but
Quote'Vote for France, vote for Chic!' :p
is a pretty loose translation :) It gave me a much different impression than 'Vote for the French AGS forum's game entry for MAGS Nov 2015, Freak Chic!' .. not very thoughtful but not nearly as questionable.

Billbis

For what I now understand, this tweet only had little effect, as the French AGS twitter account is not that popular and the link was for the game page, not the MAGS voting page.
It seems that one of our team member, who was unaware of the ethics of this competition, went a little over-enthusiast and publish advertisement in 40 (forty!) different forums...
It would have been only me, I would have said to simply disqualify us for this voting, as I totally don't care about who is wining, I do MAGS for making (and finishing) games, not to win the competition. But because other members are involved, I suggest the following:

1) do reset the vote before it is to late.
2) change the url for the vote.
3) do a 2-steps vote: 1st question should be: "have you play through all the 6 games", and 2nd question should appears only if yes was answered to the first one.

If French ass-holes continue to bias the voting process, we can't really make anything more but restrict voting for the AGS forum members...
Sorry for the mess, they was no ill intentions from our part but only a few over-enthusiasts Frenchmen...

For myself, I won't be able to play those promising MAGS game before this week-end, but congratulation for all the 5 other entries!

Mandle

It's understandable that someone who is not aware that the contest's voting has certain requirements got excited and thought they were supporting their team by advertising around. I honestly believe that no ill-intentions were in play. It's more of an honest misunderstanding.

I know I do not harbour any bad feelings whatsoever towards anyone, and I doubt that anyone else does either.

I think as well that the best course is a restart of the vote, and the two-part voting system idea is brilliant, if it is possible to set up (I have no idea)...

Atavismus

Yeah, maybe better reset votes.

Still, I guess open the MAGS to the world is a good thing both for AGS and for our games (but ppl must be aware of the rules).
Games are made to be played and we could bring new people to AGS.
As in real life, a community can't be closed to others imo.

I plan to tweet the link to this tread + a screenshot of the table with all the games.
Is it ok?

Of course, it has always been mandatory to me to play all games before vote.
The Billbis' idea is very interesting, let's see what Stupot think about it.

Also, about team vote I guess it's not a real problem (or it's the same problem that we can't avoid: "vote for friends").
I mean, I'll play all the games (or won't vote).
If I prefer another game than our, I'll vote for this one, it's as simple.
People here are not childish I guess. :)
For sure, as in all games, I don't want to win with cheat.

But maybe we need more rules, even if I'm not on that side.

MAGS is sweat and fun, it's a jam, it's a party, don't let a small tweet ruins it. :)

Congratz all btw ;)
I'm eager to play!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk