MAGS November: "There be monsters" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/11/2015 01:06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

MiteWiseacreLives!

People keep mentioning the weekend, has the voting deadline been announced?
I'm a little stuck on two of the games, I'd better start asking for help 8-0
Edit: December 15 ! That's tonnes of time :)

Mandle

Yeah...It does look like some thought the voting deadline was this weekend...

It's not!

We have until December 15th to play all the games and vote.

I've got two left to go, and the three I have already played:

Freak Chic
Song Animals
The Man That Only I Can See

Have all been incredible!

The quality level is amazingly high this month...DAY-UM!!!

Cassiebsg

Outch, haven't even starter... only played one so far. (laugh)

Well, there's a very big difference about advertising your game/MAGS so others outside the community can play the game(s) (nod) , but it's an entirely other thing to say "go here and vote for game X!" (wrong)
So, yes, do reset the voting... if anything else fails, there's always the choice to revert to PM voting, like Atelier did. ;) (but lets reserve that for "last resort" type of solution.)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Okay folks. It seems nobody minds and it's the right thing to do, so:

THE VOTING HAS BEEN RESET!

If you've already voted, please vote again.
The deadline for votes hasn't changed: December 15th

Remember to:
Try all the games
Vote only once
Vote for your favourite

Ponch

But I wasn't able to vote before the reset! My vote wasn't thrown away! If this keeps up I might have to start believing in democracy again. (wrong) ;)

Mandle

YAY Stupot! You made the right choice, oh brave leader...Now everyone, including the team in question, can experience an honest feeling of satisfaction with the results, win or not (but especially in the case of a win)...

Cheers!

Stupot

Just glad we can start talking about the games again (nod)
So far I've played three and I'm stuck on one. So much great stuff though. You guys are awesome.

Mandle

With so many awesome entries it was getting harder and harder to figure out which game to vote for:

At first I thought I would go for Freak Chic because of the sheer tons of work done by the team to make such an ambitious game in such a short time...AND it was great fun!!!

Then I considered the amazing feelings that Song Animals gave me...Such a beautiful game and probably the true timeless classic from the bunch...I feel this game could have a place in the AGS hall of fame for most pleasant gaming experiences ever...

The other entries also entranced me...Well...OSD mostly annoyed and confused me (but I think that was also mostly the point so: job well done!)

But...at the end of the day we are instructed to choose the game that we had the most fun playing and for me that was definately:

Scylla and Charybdis: A Grecian Ship From Olympus U

I must now go and play the original game as I never got around to it at the time of its release, but this Alex dude has mad skillz for making fun games in my book...

Eggie

Thanks man...dle. I'm glad you had a positive experience despite the myriad issues.

So far my vote's swinging to Song Animals but I still have to finish Freak and Dennis.

Cassiebsg

Of all the batch, I've only finished one so far (guess which (laugh)) and have yet to even start on one.
Hope I can do it before the voting deadline.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

MiteWiseacreLives!

QuoteThe other entries also entranced me...Well...OSD mostly annoyed and confused me (but I think that was also mostly the point so: job well done!)
I did also want it to be fun... but you know time constraints  :P
What caused most confusion, the convoluted Denis-sp33k combined with rhyming or obscure goals/puzzles? (As you guessed I did want it to be highly bizarre as it is an OSD game)
I do want to learn and progress with my game-making 8-)

As for picking a winner, I need to do a little more deliberation... 

cat

I think what was most confusing/annoying was the often happening blocking stuff. You are supposed to do something with the coconuts and chest but then those blocking animations and dialogs stop you from doing this.
The text and rhyming were fun!

Mandle

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Sun 06/12/2015 18:09:14
I did also want it to be fun... but you know time constraints  :P
What caused most confusion, the convoluted Denis-sp33k combined with rhyming or obscure goals/puzzles?

Oh, don't get me wrong: It was a lot of fun! But yeah: The Denis-sp33k often made it hard for me to understand what the goal was, especially with the cannon...And the blocking animations Cat already mentioned made me want to leave those screens as fast as possible instead of taking time to enjoy the deeper graphical details ;)

But at the end of the day: FUN was had!!!!11!!one!11!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Plan on doing a quick re&re on the game once the competition closes. I'll definitely rebuild those scenes to be non-blocking!  Because it's a lot more complex to have stuff like that running in the background, more bug prone, I chose to block the gameplay just to cut down on dev time. Find it in your heart to forgive me Cat  ;) I know Mandle has :)

Mandle

MiteWiseacreLives!

So I've made my pick finally and as was pointed out earlier a gentleman shouldn't choose his own game... Even though OSD was the bestest!   ( (roll) I was pulverized by the competition in reality.)

Song Animals by Emont : A lovely game, I liked the musical take on/ abuse of the rhyming theme. Pretty proud of the fact I actually completed it!
   Monster Wants In by Mandle : Great artwork, sound design and a lot of fun to play.
   The Man That Only I Can See by Chicky : Creepy and terrific art, loved the parallax scrolling. More of an interactive fiction than anything, but held my attention to the end.
   Freak Chic by Atavismus, Marion, Bilibis et. al. : Solid overall game, lots of puzzles and things to do! Would like more responses for attempting to use items though and I was surprised how many times I totally overlooked small clickable details (that's on me I suppose).. I felt a little lost quiet often, but this one I think had the most content.
   Scylla And Charybdis: A Grecian Ship From Olympus U by Eggie : Wow, the sheer amount and quality of animations in this one is mind blowing!  8-0 Too bad you didn't have just a little more time, Eggie, to get the transitions working right (the way she turns the wrong way before walking everytime isn't on purpose is it?) and kill a few more bugs.. Funny how This game and Freak Chic both lost me a little due to language barriers  (laugh)

In the end I did choose Freak Chic. Its traditional gameplay and puzzles gave me the most enjoyable experience, although had a super hard time deciding which I enjoyed the most  ;-D Great showing by all!

cat

Finally I finished all games. Each of them had there good and not so good sides and it was a very hard decision. In the end I went with OSD because it was best regarding rhymes, which was the topic of the month.

Ponch

Voted! :cheesy:

This was a fine batch of MAGS games, bugs and all. :smiley: Congrats to everyone who managed to get their game out before the deadline crushed their hopes and dreams once more... like it always does... sniffle. :cry:

Chicky

I was under the impression everyone else was rushing their entry too, but it seems like you guys nailed it! Ace games this month, I particularly liked Eggie and Mandle's entries, haven't had a chance to get stuck into Freak Chic yet.

I'm a bit gutted that my entry turned out to be such a bore, but you live and learn :)

Billbis

Song Animals by Emont: Great entry! Very nice interpretation of the theme, and neat production. Well done!
Monster Wants In by Mandle Fantastic audio ambiance, and well execution. Not my kind of game, though.
OCEANSPIRIT DENNIS: The Terror of the Ice Princess by MiteWiseacreLives! My very first OSD game, it was great fun, and... some great frustration to, but I guess that's part of the experience. :-D Don't fix it!
The Man That Only I Can See by Chicky For some reason, it is too slow to be playable on my old netbook, will test it Saturday on my desktop!
Freak Chic by Atavismus, Marion, Yo riso et. al. (I didn't play it before, only help making backgrounds). That was great fun to! I played it in French. But that damn STONE PUZZLE!!! We should polish the game and it will be a neat little one.
Scylla And Charybdis: A Grecian Ship From Olympus U by Eggie Superbe animations and nice character design. I certainly didn't get two thirds of the references, but overall I enjoy the experience.

Well done everybody! I'll vote after playing the promising entry by Chicky.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk