Codename: Blackout - Artist and Animator Needed (UPDATE 17/12/15)

Started by justnickfoster, Mon 19/10/2015 21:33:07

Previous topic - Next topic

justnickfoster

Project:
Codename: Blackout

Details:
It's a science fiction thriller set in 1973 during the early days of Area 51. A high profile experiment is accidentally let loose in the facility. Now it's up to head of security Daniel Baker, and a small number of administrators to secure the facility and stop the experiment before it's unleashed on the world.

Positions Available:
I'm looking for an artist, animator and pretty much every other technical position an AGS game calls for. I'm purely a writer and would rather stick to my strengths. However, I am NOT simply an "idea guy" and will work around the clock (my laptop is always with me) to make sure the story and any other issues production-wise concerning the game are handled in an orderly manner.

Deadlines:
I'm not familiar at the moment with the how long a typical production lasts with one of these projects, but since there is no pay I would hope at the least to have it done by June 2016. No matter the date, I'm willing to work with your schedule.

Comments:
I've provided a link to a sample of the story I've written so far for the game. It's only 15 pages, but since I'm not an artist I figured this is the best proof of concept I can give you.

Codename: Blackout Part One

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE - 17th December 2015:

I have some concept art now.

Stromvin

Hi Justnickfoster

So i thought i just leave my two Cents of thought here.
While i am currently most likely not available for help, i was checking out your sample, and while it was of course just an introduction it was rater interesting.
There are some questions which came to my mind.
Fist of all, it would be helpful to know what Kind of graphics/animations you want. What Resolution are you planning, what Kind of style do you have in mind. Is it Comic like, or as realistic as possible, or rather reductionist to leave things for Imagination?
How Long is the Story, or rather as a result how Long will the game be? Dialogue is one Thing, but in best case, there should be some kind of gameplay inbetween. Do you already have any Kind of ideas for that or is that also TODO?
For your scedule: June 2016 means about 7-8 months, while that is some time indeed, it is very important to consider that game length, detail and resolution all can make a great difference here.

just my thoughts, and wish you much luck with your Project.
greez Stromvin
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

justnickfoster

Quote from: Stromvin on Fri 23/10/2015 13:36:18
Hi Justnickfoster

So i thought i just leave my two Cents of thought here.
While i am currently most likely not available for help, i was checking out your sample, and while it was of course just an introduction it was rater interesting.
There are some questions which came to my mind.
Fist of all, it would be helpful to know what Kind of graphics/animations you want. What Resolution are you planning, what Kind of style do you have in mind. Is it Comic like, or as realistic as possible, or rather reductionist to leave things for Imagination?
How Long is the Story, or rather as a result how Long will the game be? Dialogue is one Thing, but in best case, there should be some kind of gameplay inbetween. Do you already have any Kind of ideas for that or is that also TODO?
For your scedule: June 2016 means about 7-8 months, while that is some time indeed, it is very important to consider that game length, detail and resolution all can make a great difference here.

just my thoughts, and wish you much luck with your Project.
greez Stromvin

Thanks Stromvin. To answer all of your questions:

The animation style and look I would want would be along the lines of the 5 days a stranger and the rest of the trilby sagas and also the Ben Jordan series.

The story I hope would last two to three hours.

Of course gameplay in general has been planned out but specific puzzle have not as I am no good at planning puzzles.

Again I recognize that this would be free labor on all of our parts so June 2016 is the goal but I'm willing to work at any pace required to make a quality game.

Stromvin

Hi again,

As i said, im kinda occupied, but maybe i can help with one or two things from time to time. Dunno if someone you cannot really completely rely on is of use to you. But what you really need is someone who puts everything together.
Anyhow, much luck,
greez Sromvin
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Superkumi

While I too may have time issues, I'll be more than happy to lend as much help as I can, even if it's grunt work in the engine.

Retro Wolf

I need a clearer picture of the game is, you need some form of design document. How will it play? It could be a first person shooter for all I know...

I need more proof that this is a serious project that can get off of the ground. If you get a talented artist on board with some completed artwork, and an impressive vision of what the project will actually be; I may be able to offer coding help on a part time basis.

I've been an amateur programmer in various engines since 2007, worked on many projects (not always released, but working prototypes) including: shooters, strategy, platformers, life sims, interactive stories, tower defence, roguelikes, tile based RPGs, point and click adventures. I'm by no means an expert, my approaches often unorthodox; but I get it to work.

justnickfoster

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Mon 16/11/2015 18:26:04
I need a clearer picture of the game is, you need some form of design document. How will it play? It could be a first person shooter for all I know...

I need more proof that this is a serious project that can get off of the ground. If you get a talented artist on board with some completed artwork, and an impressive vision of what the project will actually be; I may be able to offer coding help on a part time basis.

I've been an amateur programmer in various engines since 2007, worked on many projects (not always released, but working prototypes) including: shooters, strategy, life sims, interactive stories, tower defense, roguelikes, tile based RPGs, point and click adventures. I'm by no means an expert, my approaches often unorthodox; but I get it to work.

This game is a point and click project in the style of lucas arts games and more recent games like 5 days a stranger or the ben jordan series as I stated before.

I have a document expressing specifically what would go into the project and the story.

The thing I explained already is I'm not an artist and just like coders many of them won't work for free no matter how determined a person is. I've already written a big sample of the story and have another writer who is willing to join me in making sure the story is taken care of.

If you want to be a part of the project you can help me look for an artist, but I've been serious about this project for about 3 years now and all artist who have shown interest have flaked on me. Honestly, I don't know what can prove my seriousness other that how quick I am to respond to any interest... at all, in this project after all this time.

Retro Wolf

My bad for not properly reading all the replies! Unfortunately I don't have much influence with any artists.

justnickfoster

It's fine. I have no problem still looking for artists. If you have an interest in the project I will be more than happy to give you the full breakdown via the document on what I would like and supply you to the best of my abilities with what you would need for you to do your job.

sketchess

May I ask how many backgrounds you have planned in total?
At first sight, it looks like you head for a simple art style, maybe a 640 x 480 px resolution, low color palette. Am I mistaken or right?
If you wanna attract artists, you should provide details like such. I personally can't make a picture of your visions in pixels yet.

Any every rough sketches at hand somewhere?

SilverSpook

The writing style and story look interesting.

I'm doing every last thing from writing to programming to art/animation on my current project and would love to end this schizophrenic episode at some point.  Once my AGS game is done I'd consider throwing in as artist/animator with this one, but that will likely be at least several months from now.  So I wouldn't hold your breath!

Good luck though, I think you've got some really cool ideas there!  Very cinematic.

EDIT: 

Reading through again, I have to say it does seem like the script is a bit too cinematic and would make for one very long cutscene.   There's a lot of scene changes, dialog, stage-directions, but it's hard to see where the point-n-click adventure gameplay is. 

justnickfoster

Quote from: sketchess on Wed 18/11/2015 01:08:45
May I ask how many backgrounds you have planned in total?
At first sight, it looks like you head for a simple art style, maybe a 640 x 480 px resolution, low color palette. Am I mistaken or right?
If you wanna attract artists, you should provide details like such. I personally can't make a picture of your visions in pixels yet.

Any every rough sketches at hand somewhere?
Duly noted on the tips on resolution. I'm not familiar with resolutions types but whatever resolution those series were at, which does not seem like too much, I'd want that.

I'd say I have about 51 backgrounds broken down as such:
The facility would have 4 floors

21 Offices: The first three floors would have 6 offices each. 5 of the same type (the type would vary by floor) with slight variations (pictures, coffee mugs, etc) and one Department head office. The fourth floor would have three big rooms which would be labs for weapons and biological developments.

12 Hallways: The hallways on each floor would be the same. Grouping the offices on the first three floors with one hallway containing two offices and the fourth floor with one big office per hallway.

1 Elevator: Elevator would take you to each floor.

4 Tunnel Parts: Secret tunnel would be pretty much the same background with little variations (lanterns, wires, water dripping, etc.)

9 Prologue: Plane Hangar, Sky background, beach shore, jungle( 2 parts), survivor camp, deep jungle (3 parts)

4 Stairwell: Mostly the same background with little variations (fire extinguishers, added doors)

I'm talking to a few artists about making some concept drawings. Thanks for the tips. Hope this layout makes sense.

Snarky

Quote from: justnickfoster on Wed 18/11/2015 22:05:00
Duly noted on the tips on resolution. I'm not familiar with resolutions types but whatever resolution those series were at, which does not seem like too much, I'd want that.

All the games you reference were 320x200 or 320x240 resolution.

justnickfoster

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 18/11/2015 22:21:30
Quote from: justnickfoster on Wed 18/11/2015 22:05:00

All the games you reference were 320x200 or 320x240 resolution.
320x200 or 320x240 resolution works for me then. The story and gameplay can carry this game just as it did with those.

sketchess

Like I thought. God heavens that is a huge mountain of work.

justnickfoster

Quote from: sketchess on Wed 18/11/2015 22:55:13
Like I thought. God heavens that is a huge mountain of work.

I don't know how many times I can say I'm not an expert on these things. I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. I figured since most of the backgrounds would be repeats with slight variations it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Either way, it's quality work and everyone involved would be working for free. when money does come in I'd make sure I'm the last one paid because this is a story I feel would really stand out.

I've been open about every aspect of this prospective game. I took time to give you your answer to the best of my abilities and show how serious I am. I don't want any congrats for my efforts, but at the very least I'd appreciate an actual productive statement instead of just that.

sketchess

I am at least as serious as you, justnickfoster.
Don't underestimate pixel work and the whole effort to spend. Complexity and quality will ask for persistence during the process of actual game making. Speaking of everyone involved. I don't see the June 2016 really happening, out of my experience.

Let me say, as an artist, one very important thing to you.
Having the plot is a very good thing to begin with and I like your writing. It is well structured. But there is a difference between writing a story and making a game. The graphics and animations will eat most of the time in making. It doesn't matter if they are small, it will be like this. And more importantly, there is a simple reason why artists decide to row back. Mostly out of frustration. It will not happen, if you can paint a clear picture of what is lying ahead at every time. Spoken in general.

Don't miss the message a response can provide. And be aware that we can't see into your mind. Still not being able to imagine your project in pixels yet. Become aware of everything else besides story writing, not only for yourself. Prearrangements are 50% of the work and as far as I can see, you are not finished yet.

So good luck with your attempt, this fish is to big for me.

Retro Wolf

I have an experimental solution that that could solve the issue of having so many rooms, the offices and hallways. If you had an artist draw you some chairs, desks, plants or whatever; it would be quite easy for me to reuse these assets to procedurally generate as many generic rooms as you wanted. However, getting these rooms to be as interactive, and have walk behinds like a regular adventure game is not something I've figured out.

When I offered to help I took the script you wrote as conceptual, a sort of world building exercise to show people how you can write. Is that the case? Or is there really going to be such long cutscenes?

justnickfoster

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 19/11/2015 13:26:12
I have an experimental solution that that could solve the issue of having so many rooms, the offices and hallways. If you had an artist draw you some chairs, desks, plants or whatever; it would be quite easy for me to reuse these assets to procedurally generate as many generic rooms as you wanted. However, getting these rooms to be as interactive, and have walk behinds like a regular adventure game is not something I've figured out.

When I offered to help I took the script you wrote as conceptual, a sort of world building exercise to show people how you can write. Is that the case? Or is there really going to be such long cutscenes?

I don't want to double post. So hopefully sketchess sees this. I know all of your points are valid. I'm not afraid of criticism of my approach. Until this point I didn't know anything about how to talk to artists. Everything you say I'm going to take in and use it to improve my treatment, so thanks because that was really I wanted at the very least.

Retro wolf, I like your idea and am more than willing to give it a try. I have no problem cutting the cutscenes The only big cutscene is the castro one.
Even though it all reads like a cutscene, the plane hangar and walking through the jungle looking for supplies and then your troop. and walking through the office would all be in game point and click activity. The dialogue would simple pop up from character to character like the games I mentioned for inspiration.

The castro scene I thought would play out in liek the ending of 6 days a sacrafice. I thought about difficulty that's why I set the scene as first person in the dark. The would require four or five figures against a black back drop and once he kills them all, Castro would be the only figure behind a black screen. I thought that would cut out work time but I'll accept it if I'm wrong.

In a nut shell, I'm willing to chat with an artist to augment my project to be more fitting. I'm not one of those guys who are set in their ways. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk