The unprintable MAGENTA (update: June 17, 2017 - unreleased extras)

Started by Fitz, Sat 28/11/2015 03:09:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz

Deep in the night, when evil is most rampant, who's going to stand up against crime?

Witness the birth of a superhero.

Help her embrace her power and tackle the evil of this world.

With might, wit and a sharp tongue.

Mostly because her superpower is pretty lame.

WHILE ON YOUR QUEST, YOU WILL:

- look at everything till you get a pink eye
- touch stuff -- if only to see just how lame your superpower is
- talk to people - mostly to get yourself out of a sticky situation
- try to get used to the sound of flip-flops
- learn more about comics than you'd like to
- make the headlines
- and last but not least: FIGHT CRIME!!!

THE GAME FEATURES

- a deceitfully young-looking, charming heroine
- action and danger!
- a slew of handsome men to flirt with
- a whole band of supers with equally lame abilities
- long-lost twin sibblings?
- surprising, astounding, scary and/or disgusting facts comics and other nerdy stuff
- astonishing graphics in 16K (that's right, siksteen kolors!)

(updated version with better optimization -- if the intro runs slow/out of sync on your computer, this might help)

...or, if you're busy, not convinced yet, or Ben Chandler, you could at least

UPDATE JUNE 17, 2017: unreleased extras

It's been almost a year since I posted the news of a planned update. Soon after that I abandoned the almost finished project to work on music videos also made in AGS, and never got around to finishing and releasing the game's update. Some technical hurdles aside, I figured no one would care to play the game again just for these few extra scenes.
So yesterday I thought I'd simply post them here as videos -- because they're fun little things.
The first one is an alternate scene of what happens when Magenta falls through the mahole:

This one is an alternate Mortal Kombat scene:

...and so is this one:

And finally, this one's is an alternate ending of what happens when Magenta falls from the top of the skyscraper:

I've also had ideas for many more scenes -- so many, in fact, that I decided they'd require a separate game to make sense, rather than fit them into the existing dialogue trees.
The cop choosing a different carreer path:

Karbon merging with a symbiote:

Karbon and Magenta as Tuxedo and Sailor Chibi Moon:

...and them mutating:

Unfortunately, I ultimately dropped all these ideas, as well as the planned sequels, and moved on. I am still toying with the idea of Magenta returning as a comic or an animated series, but no gamedev plans as of right now.

AnasAbdin

YESSSSSSS :-D

Congrats on the release! Been waiting for ages!

Stupot

Congrats on release Fitz. ;-D
The opponent Hen-Man never had is finally here. (laugh)

Mandle

WOW!!! Congratz on the release!!! Been following this for ages...

THIS will be my reward for getting my MAGS entry released!!!

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release! :)
Looking forward to have some time to play it! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Fitz

Thanks, everyone :) Cam you believe it? At some point I myself kinda lost hope I'd ever finish it. It's not my longest project, Gray took over two years -- but still. Glad I took all this time, though. Got so many ideas along the way that I would've never come up with if I rushed it.

Have fun! Me, I'm going to take a nap. I've had maybe 2 hours of sleep tonight. I was so hell-bent on finishing it that I stayed up till half past 4 -- and then my neighbor upstairs decided that 7 am on a Saturday is a great time to do some vacuuming! :-\

Blondbraid

Congrats on the release! Downloading the game as I'm writing. ;-D

selmiak

Fitz

IMPORTANT: if the intro seems lagging/out of sync (the animation falling behind the music), this newly uploaded build *might* work better.

So yeah, I didn't nap at all. Instead, I re-uploaded all animation frames in the intro and outro in gif format instead of png, because they're about 3x smaller in size -- and the puter sometimes has a hard time handling the amount of objects flying by in those lenghty cutscenes as it is. Works like a charm for me now. So I'm a *little* calmer now.

Like F4 instead of F5 on Fujita Scale ;)

NickyNyce

Wow....Congrats Fitz. Sorry that I couldn't help out with testing, work and my 1 year old has me doing nothing else. I'm so glad to see that this is finally out. From what I played a while ago, it was fantastic, and I can only imagine the improvements you made to an already awesome game.

SilverSpook

YAYYYYYY!  Downloading now!  Canceling all my hot dates with the internet and Fallout 4 for the next week to make room for the UM.

SilverSpook

This game is a trip and a half!  In a good way!  5 thumbs up!

I'm not getting any sound during the intro cutscene, though, just FYI.  Not sure what's going on because there's music and sound throughout the rest of the game.

Fitz

Nick: I'll forgive everything if you tell me there's a Visitor sequel coming ;) Plus, it's thanks to your game that I found Problem, who made really elevated Magenta with his music.

SilverSpook: Fallout 4 will be a breeze once you've finished Magenta ;) (how far did you get so far?) And there are some post-apo/apocalyptic overtones to keep you in the mood.
Not sure what the problem with the intro music could be. Codec, maybe? Tried it on other computers and that issue never came up. I also made some further tweaks and uploaded a new build not half an hour ago -- which still works with old savegames just fine.
In any case, the intro sequence is the same as the teaser trailer.

AprilSkies

So geat!
congratz for the release mate!

The trailer is very cool!!! it's an eye candy!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Cassiebsg

Having the same issue with no sound on the intro. ???
No problem with sound running in game.
Only thing I can't seem to find there is the setting to adjust the sound/music level as it's too high for me. :-\

EDIT: Seems like I was too fast to acknowledge the "no sound in the intro"... there is sound! :-D There's just a long silence at the start and I thought that was "no sound" so I had skipped the intro... :-[

abstauber

Hooray for finishing this maGEMta awesomeness :D
..downloading..

Fitz

Thanks, guys! How's everyone enjoying the game so far?

Cassie: Yeah, sorry about that. I just didn't feel adept enough to make a menu with adjustable options (I had enough of a hassle with the main menu as it is). I almost never modify the volume settings in games, myself. If something that I'm listening to at the time is too loud, I turn the the speakers down. Given how varied the volumes are from one youtube video to another -- and ads being 50 db louder than everything else -- I'd go insane without that little knob on my speakers.

Cassiebsg

LOL
Yeah, but that's the problem when my kid is watching youtube videos on my computer... I can't turn the sound down, cause then he won't be able to listen to anything. ;)
I almost always change the game volume settings... music = very low setting, SFX = middle and voice = high. (nod)
It's okay, it just means I can only play it when he's not around. (laugh)

SilverSpook

Well I got through this and boy are my eyes tired!  From crying!  For joy!

Great job and all the kudos to Fitz for getting this done.  Lots of great writing, comedy, and hilarious sound effects.  Endearing and highly original main character, lots of fresh ideas and roasting of various comic book tropes and cliches. 

I certainly don't get all of the comic book references and had to Google-Fu the final test-your-nerd-might challenge after being stumped for about an hour, but it was a great romp.  The antakonistik comik book villain is spot-on kreepy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk