The unprintable MAGENTA (update: June 17, 2017 - unreleased extras)

Started by Fitz, Sat 28/11/2015 03:09:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz

Half of the quiz questions I wrote on the fly -- but the rest of the duos I had to painstakingly google. And I still fail the quiz myself, mostly the blue-themed part! :D So yeah, it was pure evil. Evil I had to face myself more times than anyone else ;)

Glad you enjoyed it!

Ibispi

I have just finished playing Magenta, and I had a lot of fun playing it. It made me laugh a few times.
I think the funniest part was the dialogue with the policeman. And, also, the first puzzle after what was the "demo"
Spoiler
with the cat
[close]
was really smart and funny.
And
Spoiler
I liked the ending, credits sequence... a lot of things happened :D
[close]

Fitz

I'm really happy people actually watch the outro :) I'm the kind of guy who actually likes to sit through the credits, read everything and fish out song titles -- but I didn't expect others to do that. And that action sequence doesn't come in till the latter half of this prettttty lenghty song.

Which I've listened to hundreds of times over the past ten years -- and probably twice that during the long and arduous process of making the outro -- and I still love it :D

Mandle

So much fun so far: I like the Henry Stickmin style gameplay a lot even though I was expecting more of a traditional adventure game...

Bug! During the handcuffs scene I mashed the keyboard to see if that helped and the game crashed saying that the restore game function could not run because another was already cued. I believe the global script line was 1091...

AND also: HEEEEELP someone!!! I have tried the handcuff scene like 40 times and cannot pass it (hide hints please)

Fitz

Oh, mashing your keyboard won't help there. In fact, it's not about keys at all in this scene. You have to...

Spoiler
wait till the cop pauses with the cuffs midway (it's a very clear pause) -- then quickly move your hands apart by moving the mouse to the right, so that they disappear off the screen, and then back left, so that they're on-screen again. You'll see they're flipped and are now OVER the cuffs. It's like playing "red hand". That's when you need to use your superpower. Click!
[close]

Mandle

Cheers for the hint. And wow...people actually figured that out?!

One more thing: I broke the game again:

Spoiler
In the scene with Karbon: AFter the light downstairs came on I chose the option to negotiate, but instead of clicking the speech icon on the window I clicked it on Karbon, which leads back to an earlier dialog with him, which eventually crashes the game because the speech views don't exist.
[close]

Fitz

There was actually a LOT of puzzles that I was really worried people wouldn't figure out -- this being one of them. I wasn't even sure if they'd pick up on the main game mechanic of clicking on a particular spot on the other person's body. Especially if you're a developer, you'd think a character is a single sprite.

Oh well, I'm an expert in coming up with weird, evil puzzles (laugh)

Speaking of which, if anyone's having a hard time with the quiz, here you have a cheat sheet.

Mandle

I just finished the game...SO MUCH FUN!!!

I actually had fun in the:
Spoiler
Super-trivia quiz part. It did take me over an hour to solve it (and a very jam-packed A4 notepaper) but the feeling of completion without googling, or cheat sheets, was great...
[close]

The end credits were awesome too!

Spoiler
Godzilla...Ghostbusters 2...King Kong...Call Of Cthulhu...War Of The Worlds...Independance Day?
[close]

Great stuff...

(Just one small thing: After pushing ESC to skip the intro could the game just go to the menu screen instead of the start of the tutorial? That got a bit tired each time...)

SilverSpook

Wow, man, you did that whole thing without going to Google?  I was thinking of doing that but I needed to be functional the next day, and couldn't sacrifice the sleep, lol.

Fitz

Mandle: Bravo! A process of slow elimination was how this was supposed to be played, ideally - regardless of whether you're a comic nerd (which in this case is a superpower of sorts) or not. It was tough, I'll admit, but not unfeasible -- you just have to be patient and methodial. The sense of accomplishment that comes from getting through a test like that is exactly what I seek in games, myself. And how did you like the final boss battle?
About the menu: yeah, I was thinking of cramming the menu sommewhere in there -- but my main focus was a smooth, cinematic experience for the first-time player. But I'm currently working on a bunch of little tweaks, and I think I'll include this one. Like, if you've already played the game, after the Magenta logo disappears, instead of the intro starting the menu will pop up -- and if you wish to go watch the intro, anyway, you'll have the START button.

SilverSpook: It's a tough game to play from start to finish in one sitting -- but one of my friends did just that, indeed sacrificing some sleep. That's the greatest compliment for a game dev. Though reports of rage quits tickle the ego on some level, too ;) But only if the player decides to get back to the game later.

Mandle

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 08/12/2015 07:55:33
Though reports of rage quits tickle the ego on some level, too ;) But only if the player decides to get back to the game later.

Oh, my Alt-X keys got a workout at points in the game but, yeah, I went back to keep playing soon after...

sergiocornaga

Did you mean to leave in keyboard shortcuts that jump to any scene in the game?

Fitz

They're just quickloads, using the same code as the checkpoint buttons. So you won't access any scene that you haven't been to previously.

AnasAbdin

I finally finished it :-D That was one of the best AGS games I've played!
Music is just beautiful, makes an awesome soundtrack. The game's style is very well implemented. I'm not a fan of long dialogs but MAGENTA's dialogs are funny, they were amusing to me (laugh)
I loved the puzzles that required mouse clicking and so (nod)

Thanks Fitz for the wonderful game. Hope to see more AGS games from you soon!

Fitz

Thanks, Anas! :) It's a weird game, even for our little retro point'n'click niche, so I'm happy to see the "click time events" aren't universally resented, as I feared they'd be :P And the music! Yes! So much talent there! Can't thank Problem enough. And the extra songs! I actully made one of my dreams come true in having one of my favorite songs ever in the outro -- and Zuri's intro tune was the inspiration for that sequence. I just listened to it and images started popping up in my head. Without that song there would be no intro!

So yeah, looks like it's time to get back to work -- before all the new ideas sprouting beneath my skull cause it to EXPLODE! ;)

Fitz

NEWS UPDATE: March 2 2016:

An update is in the works, with a few suggested tweaks -- including a difficulty choice for certain puzzles (everyone who played the game will know which ones I'm talking about, hehehe). I'll also be adding some brand new cutscenes of failure. Here's Magenta's interlocutor in one of them:

AnasAbdin

Fitz

No idea! I've already applied some simple tweaks, but others will take some thinking -- and writing, and coding. As for cutscenes... I keep coming up with ideas! They're simple (mostly) and shouldn't take long each, but putting together a dozen or two of them might take a WHILE!

AprilSkies

Btw, I nominated this game in a lot of categories for the awards :=
Because it's just great.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Fitz

While the update is taking a liiiiiiittle longer than expected, it's because I've decided to add some content. More extra cutscenes -- in extra locations!

Such as this one:

Or this 16 color rendition of a classic stage:

Can you guess what games these are borrowed from?

Stay tooned!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk