The unprintable MAGENTA (update: June 17, 2017 - unreleased extras)

Started by Fitz, Sat 28/11/2015 03:09:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz

Alllmost there. I still need to make some tweaks to the simplified quiz. But I touched up the last new scene and drew the background for it:

Also a 90's game homage. Guesses?

AnasAbdin

CaptainD

Well it reminds me of Treebeard but I'm guessing not a LOTR based game...

Fitz

Nope :) Check the 2nd screenshot from my previous post, they were inspired by the same classic 90's game. One that I'd already paid a little homage to in Magenta.

Stupot

Fitz

Indeed. The stages portrayed are The Portal and The Living Forest.

STUPOT WINS!

Fitz

It's been almost a year since I posted the news of a planned update. Soon after that I abandoned the almost finished project to work on music videos also made in AGS, and never got around to finishing and releasing the game's update. Some technical hurdles aside, I figured no one would care to play the game again just for these few extra scenes.
So yesterday I thought I'd simply post them here as videos -- because they're fun little things.
The first one is an alternate scene of what happens when Magenta falls through the mahole:

This one is an alternate Mortal Kombat scene:

...and so is this one:

And finally, this one's is an alternate ending of what happens when Magenta falls from the top of the skyscraper:

I've also had ideas for many more scenes -- so many, in fact, that I decided they'd require a separate game to make sense, rather than fit them into the existing dialogue trees.

Imagine, let's say, the cop choosing a different carreer path:

Karbon merging with a symbiote:

Karbon and Magenta as Tuxedo and Sailor Chibi Moon:

...and them mutating:

Unfortunately, I ultimately dropped all these ideas, as well as the planned sequels, and moved on to other things. I am still toying with the idea of Magenta returning as a comic or an animated series, but no gamedev plans as of right now.

NickyNyce

Great stuff Fitz. I'm sad to hear that you're not currently working on anything. Shoot small and perhaps you'll give it a go again. 

SilverSpook

Love the Beebop / Rocksteady guys!  Great designs, always fun colors! ;)

Blondbraid

Fitz

Nick: I'm still trying to figure out what the best format for the story would be. As it stands, it's a series of skits -- and they may well work as short cartoons in the vein of Cyanide & Happiness or Happy Tree Friends rather than a game in which losing is (at least to me) the most fun part. Or maybe if I simply made really short episodes, limited to, say, one room, it would be more friendly -- especially for letsplayers.

SilverSpook: I also drem Magenta as Krang and intended to have Karbon as Shredder for one sequence.

Blondbraid: Not really rejected, just abandoned for the lack of time. It also seems like it's a very niche thing, style- and gameplay-wise. I've had some really heart-warming feedback from a bunch of players but most either gave it a pass at the sight of the 16 color graphics or rage-quit during the cop scene or the superhero quiz ;) The game took me 15 months (on and off, but still, that's a lot of time) and faded into obscurity soon after, with almost zero press coverage, save from news items from our own CaptainD. Wrote and tweeted a whole bunch of people about it, got zero response. Even AG's Following Freeware, who've mentioned my previous projects, shunned me this time. That was a blow. It did get featured on GameJolt, but that was actually such a bitter experience that sometimes I wish it hadn't. So the inner struggle is that while I have a lot of love for these characters and the story, and would love to experiment with limited color palettes EVEN MORE, I'm held back by the fear that the effort won't pay off (other than the great personal satisfaction).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk