[MAGS November 2015] Scylla and Charybdis: A Grecian Ship From Olympus U

Started by Eggie, Tue 01/12/2015 05:32:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Eggie

Hey guys?!! What do you do if you've got a promising but woefully unpolished game under your belt?
A) Fix that shit up
B) Release an EVEN MORE UNPOLISHED SEQUEL!!

Presenting THIS DANG GAME!! It's a sequel to THIS DANG GAME! And this time you get to play as Aergia who it's much more in character to write dumb Lookat jokes for!

Scylla and Charybdis: A Grecian Ship From Olympus U has many fine features including

Over 900 frames of character animation Woah, slow down! That's a whole 75 seconds worth of cartoon goodness stretched over, what, 20 minutes of gameplay. What a treat!

JOKES! I wrote a really good joke about pole-dancing and a really good joke about a fig tree and some other jokes that aren't as good! Jokes!

Coding???????? Or something that very much resembles it but don't look too closely! Haha! Your brain will die! Goodbye, brain!

Basically one puzzle! It's kind of a bullshit puzzle! It's kind of exactly the kind of vague puzzle I always hated in 90s Adventure Games. It's also I realized today, basically unsolvable if you're red-green colourblind. Last year I released a game unplayable by deaf people. What minority group am I going to screw over next? Maybe I'll do something that gives seizures to epileptic people?? Who knows???

Really good title art! It's by my friend Eliot, he put it on his blog here. Here you go, you don't have to download this game now.

I'm tired I wrote 'a really good joke about pole dancing' as 'a really joke and pole' and could very easily have not caught that. Boy I should not have been making last minute, untested code changes with this tired brain let me tell you!

Bye guys??!!?

Mandle

Wow....you must have been coding so fast that you went back in time... (**wink** I think you mean "MAGS November 2015"**)

Anyways: Congratz on the release!!! Glad to see the games pouring in for this awesome theme!!!

Stupot

Eggie

Mandle: I don't know what you're talking about I've never seen an October in my life :|

Stupot: Done! Now to play me some entries

MiteWiseacreLives!

Very nice game, having a little trouble though..
I can open my inventory, but not sure how to actually use any item ???

Eggie

It works like the CMI verb coin, you click and hold on the item you're using your inventory on then release over the item you want to use.

sergiocornaga

Yay! I'm so glad to see to story continue. You weren't kidding about this being even more unpolished, though! I prepared a long and obnoxious list of bugs, notes and suggestions for if you ever find time. I left it rough:

Spoiler
Cyclops skull described with 'create' instead of 'creature'

skeleton on right of room called Hotspot 5

walked left from the universal charger (having gone through the pipe but without sliding down the pole) and was transported to the top of it

Font runs together so ellipsis looks like underscores

No mouseover text for bucket (of seamen) to indicate it can be clicked on

If I go back to the starting cave, it's flashing grey and blue for some reason

Gia looks the wrong way when looking at the dripping pipe

Gia's sprite clips through the pipe opening / bottom of the pipe in mildly unattractive ways

I thought I'd be able to fill the jug/horn at the dripping pipe, but no response

Vaguely related to the above, I really thought I'd be able to rhyme drink with think.

You can re-bash Charybdis' body with the jug and it replays that scene

It would be nice if the shadow of Nyx's cage didn't initiate conversation when you click on it.

The bird broke on me, invisible, perpetually registered as being in the same room as Scylla luckily.

Looking at the photograph, text seems off- between lines it reads "my mom who is also my mom".

Cabinet description says 'locked tight' even when unlocked.

Mouseover text for silhouetted Charybdis is 'New Character'

"Game created by Alex Whitington" appears in credits twice in a row at the end, seemingly? And the October typo is in the credits as well!

How is this game over 1GB but compresses to 20MB? That's kind of amazing.
[close]

But hey! Even if this never gets updated, no big deal really... The meat of the game is all there, start to finish. I don't feel like any of the little things I mentioned really impeded my experience/enjoyment, and there's a charm to roughness anyway. Plus, there's so much extremely high quality stuff to balance it out. I love the smooth animation, and little touches like alpha transparency for Charybdis' fins, big touches like individually animated body parts for Scylla, and that whole super cute water drip interaction.

When you inevitably reply (I hope? I'm not being too presumptuous, right?) let me know if you think you might update this, like, in the next few days. I run a small game curation blog and I'd like to post this there, regardless of whether it gets updated (but on the off-chance you were planning to do it already really soon, I'll wait). I wanted to post Somnamulizer there too, but thought 'maybe it'll get a bugfix and I can post it then' which was silly and I regret that thinking.

P.S. I was the one who'd never seen Cats Don't Dance. It was me.

Eggie

I was going to say if you watched Cats Don't Dance I'd fix them both but then I remembered how many times I've let you down before :|

I'd love to see your bug report list! I forgot to mention that Krazy was a giant help to me in the last few hours before the deadline playing the game and pointing out stuff I coukd fix over skype. Without him it would be even more broken oh maaaan!

EDIT: Oh cool the bug list is right there! It didn't show up on my phone. Awesome, thanks!

EDIT2: Go watch Cats Don't Dance oh my God dude, it's so great!

sergiocornaga

I haven't seen it yet. I'd prefer to watch it with ludicrously high picture quality, which is tough because maybe such a thing doesn't even exist. If only I had it on LaserDisc. And had a LaserDisc player.

I don't feel like you've ever let me down.

My bug report list is all in the spoiler box above that maybe you missed?

Eggie

Cat's Don't Dance is maybe the only movie I would buy on Blu-Ray no question.
Just watch it it DVD-quality guuy, that's the only way I've seen it. AND with the edges cropped too. It's okay though, the quality of the work involved will shine through!!

EDIT: Read the bug report. That was less brutal than I thought it would be. Sad to hear that you got the same invisible bird bug as Krazy though, I thought I'd figured that one out D:

sergiocornaga

The bird bug seemed to get worse over time. I was really confused about what to do for a while, and that bird ending up going back and forth about 10 times. For the first 5 I'm sure everything was fine!

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

MiteWiseacreLives!

Eggie!!!
I'm soo stuck on the first rhyme  ???
Spoiler
Ive got the Charger Cable, the Jug, the Bone, the Horn and the Leftover Cigarette...
[close]

sergiocornaga

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 04/12/2015 03:51:20I'm soo stuck on the first rhyme  ???

You're missing an item!

Spoiler
Chalk!

Also, can you really pick up a bone? I don't remember being able to do that.
[close]

Eggie

Oh boy my beta tester had the same problem but I thought it was just because I prompted him too much. D: Add pixel hunting to my list of accidental crimes.

Ahh, and I was also told just before I uploaded that rhyme doesn't work in every dialect. I've made a monkey wrench puzzle D: D:

(EDIT: There's definitely no bone inventory item. My advice to maybe try rhyming 'bone' with 'chalk')

MiteWiseacreLives!

Cassiebsg

yup, itch.io works fine, many thanks. :-D

Now to go play some games, before the voting ballots close... (roll)(laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

ALERT ALERT ALERT!!!

Your innocent enough looking 28 MB download suddenly turns into over a 1 GB install when unzipped...

I have seen this before...I think you forgot to compress your sprites before compiling the game...

I have a crappy computer with limited storage so I cannot install a game of such size...

Eggie

Aaa I was aware of this. There was a day or so where the game was refusing to run and disabling sprite compression was one of the things I did that seemed to make it work again :/ I didn't want to mess with stuff again after that.
I will build a sprite compressed version right now for you, though. I'm sure I was just being superstitious.

Here you go. It looks like the issue I was having was with my virus scanner, I had to disable it for this version to run so if you're using Avast you might have to do the same

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk