Oh, Its Christmas - A Retro Seasonal Adventure Mini-Game

Started by sbnewsom, Sat 26/12/2015 03:18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

sbnewsom

Happy Holidays from everyone at Naughty Shinobi! We have something special for you today! I made a retro point n click adventure game to celebrate the end of the year! A personal 48 hour game jam.

Oh, Its Christmas is a Retro Point n' Click season adventure mini-game based on our upcoming First-Person Lovecraftian Adventure, Shadow Over Isolation. Join Shadow Over Isolation's main protagonist, Ryan Kappel as he experiences Christmas Time antics! Lots to interact with and some craziness to be seen. As lighthearted and silly as this mini-game is, there are lots of inside jokes and mythos building for Shadow Over Isolation!

If you want to learn more about Shadow Over Isolation, visit us at ShadowOverIsolation.com

Version 001b
Download (EXE)
Available on Windows Only

Naughty Shinobi and our products are completely crowd funded. Like this cool game? Help us out and considered throwing us a dollar or two to help us make more of what we all love.
You can learn more about pledging to our projects at https://www.patreon.com/NaughtyShinobi

Behind The Scenes
Had a chance to play? Check out some the behind the scenes from the production of the game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cEkA1yNCYg

Mandle

OMG! Christmas AND Lovecraft together at last!!!

Downloading right now!

sbnewsom

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 26/12/2015 03:33:44
OMG! Christmas AND Lovecraft together at last!!!

Downloading right now!

I'm still trying to get my team to be all in on making an official non-shoestring budget retro lovecraftian game. But for now, we're sticking with doing our own mythos before going full Lovecraftian.

Let me know what you think.

Gurok

Nice work, Stuart! Is it supposed to be possible to get the maximum score? I noticed a few areas that could use proofreading, but overall, it's a pretty good effort for 48 hours. Have you considered entering MAGS?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

sbnewsom

Quote from: Gurok on Sat 26/12/2015 03:41:46
Nice work, Stuart! Is it supposed to be possible to get the maximum score? I noticed a few areas that could use proofreading, but overall, it's a pretty good effort for 48 hours. Have you considered entering MAGS?

Yes, it is ABSOLUTELY possible to get the maximum score. A major point load can be found using the computer and a certain disk.

There are also other items that can be used in inappropriate ways that add points to the score.

If you don't mind, if you can point out lines of dialog that feel off to you, I'd love to be able to fix them in case I release a patch/update.

I've considered doing MAGS for the past 6 years, but I never manage to complete any of the projects. I could jump in again now with everything I've learned in the industry, but its tough to find time like this to do it. I have 3 jobs as it is just to support working on the game Shadow Over Isolation.

I'll provide a hint guide in the other forum when I have the chance. :)

Gurok

Quote from: sbnewsom on Sat 26/12/2015 03:44:57
Yes, it is ABSOLUTELY possible to get the maximum score. A major point load can be found using the computer and a certain disk.

Ah, I never bothered with the computer and thought 7/42 might have been symbolic in some way. Time to play it again!

If you don't mind, if you can point out lines of dialog that feel off to you, I'd love to be able to fix them in case I release a patch/update.

The description of the computer says "in there places" when it should be "in their places". I didn't note anything else down.

I've considered doing MAGS for the past 6 years, but I never manage to complete any of the projects. I could jump in again now with everything I've learned in the industry, but its tough to find time like this to do it. I have 3 jobs as it is just to support working on the game Shadow Over Isolation.

I'll provide a hint guide in the other forum when I have the chance. :)

Yeah, I thought if you were developing games in a time-limited way for your own benefit, you might enjoy the official AGS version of that :D. Balancing work and game development is another thing.

EDIT: Okay, got 10/42. This is hard. I'm obviously missing a disk.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Cassiebsg

Hey! :)
Congrats on the release. Is there a zip file download with winsetup included somewhere else?  ???
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

sbnewsom

Quote from: Gurok on Sat 26/12/2015 03:54:54
EDIT: Okay, got 10/42. This is hard. I'm obviously missing a disk.

Consider that some 'containers' may have more than one item. ;)

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 26/12/2015 10:18:22
Hey! :)
Congrats on the release. Is there a zip file download with winsetup included somewhere else?  ???

Is there a problem with the current download? Winsetup is already provided under the "Game" folder.

Just to make it easier though, here's a zip version of the game. :smiley:

http://naughtyshinobi.com/files/OhItsChrismas_001Final.zip

I also uploaded a behind the scenes video for the game! Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cEkA1yNCYg

Cassiebsg

Well... the problem was I don't like installers and I wanted winsetup so I can make sure I could play in windowed mode and in a resolution that won't fill my entire screen.  ;) Or just call me "annoying b***..."  (laugh)

Anyway, thanks bunch for the zip! Played and finished it now with 33/42...
Boy, that was scary ending.  8-0

Thanks for the short fun game.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

sbnewsom

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 26/12/2015 12:02:26
Well... the problem was I don't like installers and I wanted winsetup so I can make sure I could play in windowed mode and in a resolution that won't fill my entire screen.  ;) Or just call me "annoying b***..."  (laugh)

Anyway, thanks bunch for the zip! Played and finished it now with 33/42...
Boy, that was scary ending.  8-0

Thanks for the short fun game.  (nod)

Thats the same way I work too. I'm glad the zip worked out for you. For future reference, the exe installer was nothing more than a RAR extractor. I've had to deal with a lot of users that have no idea how to open ZIP or RAR files, so I usually choose the easiest, less destructive route when distributing my software. Also RAR files tend to compress better depending on the size of the files, so there's that too. In this case, with how small the file is, it probably didn't matter. haha (laugh)

Glad you got close to 42 points on your first try (i'm guessing). Let me know what worked for you and didn't, design wise. I may consider jumping in on the MAGS once in a while. So all the critiques you can provide, would be greatly appreciated!

sbnewsom

Small update. Added character portrait for dialog and replaced character sprites with our actual Ryan Kappel character model!

Version 001b
Download (EXE)
Available on Windows Only

Crimson Wizard

Hmm, the label that shows object's name under cursor is positioned incorrectly, and half of text is covered by cursor.

Also, error occurs when you move mouse towards the bottom of the screen:
---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
---------------------------
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.3.4.2)

in "TwoClickHandler.asc", line 140

Error: GUI.Y: co-ordinates specified are out of range.

Fitz

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 11/01/2016 00:47:29

Happened to me, too, twice. I was able to complete the game with no further errors after I set the game to full-screen.

Anyway, that was indeed a fun little game. Lovely color theme! Definitely brings back the spirit of Christmas. Makes you want to chant: "Silent n'ghft, hooooly n'ghft..." ;)

sbnewsom

Quote from: Fitz on Mon 11/01/2016 19:50:41
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 11/01/2016 00:47:29

Happened to me, too, twice. I was able to complete the game with no further errors after I set the game to full-screen.

Anyway, that was indeed a fun little game. Lovely color theme! Definitely brings back the spirit of Christmas. Makes you want to chant: "Silent n'ghft, hooooly n'ghft..." ;)

I can't believe the error didn't come up when I released the update. Now I'm able to reproduce the problem 100%.

Just uploaded the patched version that fixed the problem.

As I messaged Crimson Wizard, the problem arises when you dynamically position a GUI, then it leaves the boundaries of the resolution. I was able to fix it by limiting the position of the GUI within the confines of the screen. :D

Monsieur OUXX

Nice, clean little game.
Two suggestions:
- make sure the descirption label that moves with the mouse stays within the screen boundaries. several descriptions cannot be read because of that.
- chaeck your character's Idle view. At the moment he's moonwalking when he stays idle. If you're too lazy to fix it, just increase the Idle delay to infinity so that it never happens.

I really appreciated the sets of colors.

tsa

Haha! Nice game!
Spoiler
Is it even possible to play the game you find on the disk?
[close]

T.Hi

Is this still downloadable? I tried both the zip and exe files, to no avail.

sbnewsom

Sorry about that, we recently switch to hosting the game on Itch.io indie game website. :) I fixed the original link to redirect to our game page.
https://naughtyshinobi.itch.io/oh-its-christmas

Crimson Wizard

I would like to point out that the game is compiled in Debug mode. For example, if you press Ctrl+S, you will get all inventory items.

E: Also that repeating xmas tune made me loose myself long before I completed enchant :(.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk