Pompadour Pete: On The Road To Goblin Keep

Started by BaJankens, Tue 29/12/2015 06:07:01

Previous topic - Next topic

BaJankens

Pete embarks on a quest to save the princess fare in this RPG-lite adventure.

click here to play

sbnewsom

Where is the download? The link you supplied leads to your patron, which doesn't have any info regarding the software described in this thread.

selmiak

Crimson Wizard

BaJankens, it seems that you renamed your game file before, or took winsetup.exe from another project, because when I try to run "winsetup.exe" it sais: "unable to launch '4hg.exe'".

To fix that you need to make sure that your game project folder has the name you want (you may rename it if you need) and fully rebuild the game.

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 29/12/2015 12:21:32
Spamming your shit much? :P
How is that "spamming"?

Mandle

I downloaded the game expecting it to be an AGS newcomer's cute first attempt at a game, given the rather confusing launch thread and all...

But from what I have seen so far: It looks pretty damn fun!

I have only played a little bit, but, from a game design standpoint:

(1) I understand that my goal is to push to the right from the town and that probably each screen right is one mile.
(2) If I die I go back to town and lose half my wealth.
(3) I can go back to town and train my stats.
(4) Robots have lasers. (laugh)
(5) The game graphics and animations are FUN!

I get all this from playing for about 2 minutes. That's a well designed game so far!

I'm looking forward to playing more of the game tomorrow when I have the time!

Now: Bajankens: Just spruce up your launch thread a bit, and also add the game to the AGS database and link the download link to that page or most likely nobody is going to think that this is a game worth checking out:

Which it seriously seems to be from what I've seen so far...

BaJankens

Okeedoke. So I fixed the file so you can run winsetup by putting the original name back (4hg). I've been messing around with AGS for years off and on. It was only a matter of time before I finally finished something. The game itself was a side project to another game I was working on, and I just kept adding to it. It's not a big game. It'll take you an hour to beat the first time, but there's a few things in it that offer some replay value. I fixed the link in the first post too so it takes you directly to the game's page instead of the homepage (first time using Patreon). Everything else should be in order. Enjoy the game, guys!

sthomannch

Was fun, and an unexpected end! Congratulations
Didn't find the secret room....

selmiak

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 29/12/2015 12:37:36
Quote from: selmiak on Tue 29/12/2015 12:21:32
Spamming your shit much? :P
How is that "spamming"?
If I put so much time into making a game I put a little time into announcing it too, like adding some screenshots or so. Yeah, I shouldn't have called a game I haven't played yet shit, but I did. Wait, you question about the spamming part... I just woke up and thought he posted this in the rumpus room and it was ont he wrong board or so... (roll) :-D
Congrats on the release! Damned, now I'm even more interested in this game... :P

Shadow1000

I just finished playing.

Overall, GREAT game!  I really had fun playing and I laughed at the ending.

If you are interested in improving it, here are some ideas:

- A lot of the game is about improving your stats. I recommend that the stats should be easily viewable so you can SEE your stats improve rather than having to ask an NPC for your stats.
- It would be nice to see the health of the enemy you are fighting so you can see how far you are from killing it.
- A good rule of thumb is that if a game is expected to last more than 20 minutes or so (I made that number up - other people might differ) then there should be a way to save the game.
- Depending on how far you want to take this game, you can build in a more interactive fight sequence where there are more choices than to simply FIGHT HEAL or FLEE. Perhaps Pete could purchase ways to send some sort of spell such as lightning or shock bolt or something at the enemy
- Fleeing should probably have some sort of penalty.

Others have recommended putting screenshots in the first post. I think that more than just the splash screen would be a good idea. I didn't even bother playing until I saw that Mandle said that it's fun.

It looks like a lot of work went into the game. I hope you carry the idea further...

Cheers

SHADOW

Mandle

I just finished playing the game and IT WAS TRULY AWESOME!!!!

It took me 1 hour 10 minutes and 2 seconds to beat the game, and it was a very fun 1 hour 10 minutes and 2 seconds indeed!!!

I see what you mean now by "RPG-lite": The game packs all the fun of upgrading equipment, building stats, and facing new and more challenging enemies (which are the core of RPGs) into a nice little package without all the wandering around...

VERY WELL DEVELOPED GAME INDEED!!!

This is definately a contender for "Best Non-Adventure Game" in the upcoming AGS awards I would say!

EDIT: Oh yeah: Pretty much everything Shadow1000 mentioned for suggestions but mainly: GIVE THE PLAYER A SAVE GAME OPTION!!!

The Great Underground Empire

What everyone else said, great, cute, fun game!  I was really enjoying it, but eventually stopped after:

Spoiler

- first discovering the random "thundercrack attacks" from enemies I'd defeated before that would kill me with one blow
- randomly, repeatedly wounding or outright killing *myself* from what I can only assume is a glitch in the combat code
- finally gold farming the first 4 goblins so I wouldn't waste too much every time I randomly, inevitably died
- and then, right as I started to progress to the 250-ish gold range for buying upgrades, I hit three lasers in a row every time I passed the fourth mile.
[close]

Other than that, I think this could be truly awesome and popular if the same suggestions above were implemented - enemy HP counters, save game feature, ability to see your own stats without asking.  Great job!

Mandle

The "thundercrack" attacks are critical hits. I thought they were pretty fair myself as you can also perform them on enemies and win in an otherwise hopeless fight. It's part of the gambling that's in most RPG battle systems.

I believe the thing where you can wound yourself is on purpose. It exists in many RPGs and is called a "fumble". The hilarious thing is that by the end of the game you can get so OTT powerful that the only thing that can kill you is a fumble from yourself (which I did) (laugh)

The Great Underground Empire

Ohhh that would make sense.  I'm a DND nerd myself so I'm familiar with the similar business of rolling 1's. :)

Mandle

Quote from: PlayPretend on Sun 03/01/2016 00:35:12
Ohhh that would make sense.  I'm a DND nerd myself so I'm familiar with the similar business of rolling 1's. :)

Hahaha...exactly: "You cut your own head off: Instant death"

Crimson Wizard

By the way, I found I can abuse the "Flee" command + infinite respawn combo and buy everything from the town stores by just killing first 2-3 enemies repeatedly (flee at 4th, then repeat until you have enough money to buy new item, and again, and again).
IDK if that was intended :).

BaJankens

Thanks for the positive input guys. I'm really happy you're enjoying it! I'll be adjusting a few aesthetics in the game, but ultimately the mechanics will go unchanged, as most of my time has been consumed with the next project which will feature similar designs but refined. Again, Pete was a side project to help me get better at AGS and with what I've learned from this game and all of your support, I think I can go further and bigger. And yeah, the thunderclap is a crit and the little "going" noise is a botch. And its true you can grind the first three goblins until you can afford stuff, however getting the final gear may take some time with that method. Also, if you haven't found the secret room yet, it's somewhere in town. Also, has anyone found the money on the ground. It appears in town sometimes when you start a new game. Again, thank you for enjoying the game. Look forward to more in the future. My resolution is to finish this new project, so hopefully I don't procrastinate as much as I did on this one, lol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk