Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Luther in the Hood by Jwalt - 1 vote
• Your Grace by Retro Wolf - 1 vote
• The Dark Plague by CatPunter and Gurok - 1 vote
• Oh du lieber Augustin by Cat and Creamy - 2 votes
• The Farm by Funkpanzer - 5 votes
• Among Thorns by Matt Frith - 8 votes

Well done Matt. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for March.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Black Death
This month's guidelines were set by La Tasse Bleue

The competition has now ended and voting is underway. (Ends February 15th)

Luther in the Hood by jwalt
Your Grace by Retro Wolf
The Dark Plague by CatPunter and Gurok
Oh du lieber Augustin by Cat and Creamy
Among Thorns by Matt Frith
The Farm by Funkpanzer

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS JANUARY

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The game has to be about Black Death. You could go for horror or historical (medieval for example) or what ever you like (why not contemporary or even a futuristic plague?!).
There is no other restriction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

Ended: January 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Mandle

Oooooohhhhhhh...An AGS-made Plague Inc. clone would be sweeeeeeet!!!

Peder 🚀

Sweet theme, if I weren't so wrecked from last months MAGS I would've considered joining this one too :P

Monsieur OUXX

I picture a game with a stereotypical Black man from the 70's (large pants and huge afro hair) holding a shotgun and dispensing justice as Black Death.

shaun9991

Cool theme idea! Would love to make something but likely won't have time :(
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

CaptainD

I'm not sure I can manage competing two months in a row... but we'll see.

DBoyWheeler

Alas... how I wish I had time to do these competitions anymore.  Or the attention span, for that matter.

Still, this is kind of an interesting theme.  I wonder what a futuristic version of the Black Death might be like.  Maybe something like Resident Evil in point-n-click adventure form?  I mean, I'm asking you.

Anyway, I wish the best of luck to all who participate.

jwalt

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 04/01/2016 10:28:10
I picture a game with a stereotypical Black man from the 70's (large pants and huge afro hair) holding a shotgun and dispensing justice as Black Death.

Spoiler
[close]

Retro Wolf

Glad to see you back in action jwalt! ;)

Babar

Quote from: jwalt on Tue 05/01/2016 01:36:17
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 04/01/2016 10:28:10

Spoiler
[close]
I very much hope you are participating. WITH THAT.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

jwalt

I did that image because, when I first looked at the topic, I visualized an image similar to what Mister Ouxx saw. I can ususally get my models to look like what they're supposed to be, but I often fail miserably when I try to animate them. I make no promises, but did do some rigging, today:

Spoiler

[close]

Thanks for the encouragement!

Mandle

Hahaha! Amazing stuff jwalt!

But I think he needs a giant gold medallion on a heavy gold chain, and a bit of chest hair showing.

THEN it's the '70's!

Hmmmmm...maybe an Afro-pick in his hair too...

MiteWiseacreLives!

jwalt, you have to make this game. I wanna play.

Mandle

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Wed 06/01/2016 03:59:46
jwalt, you have to make this game. I wanna play.

+1

(Oh, and if your budget allows: You need to get Samuel L. Jackson to do the voice acting :P )

jwalt

Decided a game about death needed the death figure:

Spoiler

I have a "story," but after overnight reflection, it seems hopelessly lame. I also gave up on something involving a gal in a skirt several months ago. I foresee the same issue with death's robe. To understand the problem, think of those Carol Burnett skits, with the gals in those southern hoop skirts, and what happens when they sit down and the back of the skirt runs into the floor. I'll work on it, but don't hold your breath.

[close]

CatPunter

This looks like it's going to be a good month.

Gurok and I are entering again too...except I'm the programmer and he's the artist! Prepare for a hilariously broken game, though I have to admit, Gurok is doing a bang up job on the sprites so far.

Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

Funkpanzer

I'm in with a depressing period piece.

I've been working on this all week and can safely say that after showing the first few scenes to a few people that it's appropriately soul crushing.

selmiak

The black death is sure your new black cellphone. You watch it and type on it and skipt to the next song while walking down the streets and cars run you over. would be a fun reaction game or so...

Myinah

I'm tentatively saying Sox and I will be throwing a Dropped Monocle game in the mix, with bonus team member Problem, coming aboard. I'm pretty busy with Thimbleweed Park dialogs, but I loved the theme so Sox has managed to entice me to write a little something.

Hopefully we can get it finished in time. Expect something a bit darker, and more futuristic from Dropped Monocle.

Mandle

Wow...the entries just exploded! This is looking to be an incredible MAGS!

Matt Frith

Looks like I am participating too! Join us on the AGS irc channel for daily MAGS babbling.

jwalt

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 06/01/2016 05:47:47

(Oh, and if your budget allows: You need to get Samuel L. Jackson to do the voice acting :P )

I don't anticipate music/sound/voice acting in what I'm working up. I can't afford Jackson. Hell, I couldn't even afford Dave Gilbert, who might have the voice I'd need for:

Spoiler

Sorry for the jpg image; all I had at the moment. No hands on him, but I've got an idea for something I'd like to try regarding hands. Also not exactly able to explain what this guy has to do with The Black Death, but my whole idea has a pretty nebulous tie-in to the topic.
[close]

Currently have a good start on the artwork for the rooms. Also came up with a lame idea for a "joke" room, if I can get it to work.

Atavismus

I like what I see and read guyz!
Can't wait to play your games! :)
Good luck you all!

cat

Creamy and I are going to join this MAGS with a game in a historical setting :-D
I did quite a bunch of research already and he has made some amazing artwork. Let's keep the fingers crossed that we make it in time!

jwalt

Bit of a shock when I cobbled together enough assets to want to look at them in a game setting. The "default" game template seems hopelessly broken on my system. Is Roger lost and gone forever, Clementine? Thank God (and Ghost) for that BASS template, or I'd be dead in the water. Making progress. Currently thinking Luther in the Hood might make a good title. But my storyline stil sucks.

Noto

Amazing choice of a topic, no wonder so many people are entering this time around. Because I'm still preoccupied with finishing up what was supposed to be my MAGS entry for last month, I won't be able to enter this one, but have already used its topic as a launching point for a possible future game.

Good luck to all the other participants!

Gurok

How many people's games have a plague doctor? :D From talk on IRC, it seems to be everybody's apart from jwalt's.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Quote from: Gurok on Tue 12/01/2016 20:32:54
How many people's games have a plague doctor? :D From talk on IRC, it seems to be everybody's apart from jwalt's.

Don't be ridiculous my good man! People working on MAGS simply have no time to chat on IRC...You must be feverish...

I know a doctor that makes house calls...I'll give him a call for you...But, be warned, he only visits at the stroke of midnight... ;)

jwalt

I feel I'm still making good progress, although I'm concerned that the dialogs are going to get the best of me. Wondering if most of the game bugs don't turn up, one way or another, in the dialog tress.

Spoiler

[close]

If I can, I'd like to do two more, basically joke, rooms. Could probably get one of them working, but less sure my idea for the other one is actually do-able.

Retro Wolf

Your Kingdom is under threat from a mysterious plague! The Minister of War wants trouble! Will you become a man of the people as The Minister of Social Issues desires, or raise taxes to keep the treasury full? Meanwhile The Minister of Science needs funding for his heretical experiments, but the Church needs a new roof! Who will you support? Who will you anger? Who has a hidden agenda Your Grace?!

Stupot

Looking like some interesting ideas are being had.
We're halfway though January. What is everyone's progress?
By the way, any participants on Twitter can you share your twitter handles? Cheers :-)

jwalt

Working on dialog. Need to do the room for the "credits," and still hope to add one of the "joke" rooms. Made the "cut scene" that closes out the game play. It wasn't as hard to do as I thought it would be, and it seems okay to my none too critical eye. Unless I get bogged down in the dialog, a distinct possibility, I remain hopeful.

Funkpanzer

Everything is a bit of a mess right now as I keep coming up with puzzles that fit into the story better but I'm about half way there, with 13 of the 19 rooms wired. I imagine a lot of them are going to look like this in my entry:
Spoiler
[close]
Music and sound are going to be pretty important and I really don't want to make another silent game this month so a lot of time has been spent refining ambient sounds and music so they blend together well.

https://soundcloud.com/charlietwitch/gardenlooprough/s-wSZaj

I'm actually really happy with how this has turned out so far, unlike last month where I was trying to force AGS to do something it definitely wasn't designed to do! :-D

jwalt

The problem with placeholder art...

I dumped a NASA photo I like, of the Horse Head Nebula in Orion, into my game as a temporary background in one of the rooms. The more I've been in and out of the room, the more appropriate the photo seems for the room, and for what happens in the room. I'm now reluctant to try to replace it. Further, I doubt I have the pixeling or modeling skills to do my own version of the photo. Leaving it in would violate the original artwork provision for MAGs and may force me to drop out, thus saving Stupot+ the pain and anguish (or the joy and satisfaction) of disqualifying me for totally missing the point of this month's topic. Next time I use a piece of placeholder art, I'll make sure it's something I absolutely hate.

Otherwise...

I have one more "cut scene" to code, and the game should be playable from beginning to end. Then begins the bug hunt.

Creamy

So many promising games. I have a good feeling about this competition :)

Our game's shaping up nicely too.

@ Funkpanzer : 19 backgrounds, really? 8-0

Retro Wolf

Jesus Creamy you're going to win on that animation alone!

Dropped Monocle Games

Atavismus

Ok, I'm hooked, I want to play them all! ;)
I guess the vote won't be easy hehe
Good luck all!

cat

The first part of the game will be finished soon. So we are looking for one or two testers that have some time at their hands and want to join our team ;-D

shaun9991

woah, some amazing looking stuff here! Funkpanzer, your game makes me very excited!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

sbnewsom

Excellent work everyone! I should have some free time next month to join in. :D

jwalt

In one way or another, I've probably made every noob mistake in this, my first "completed" game. It's actually less completed than I got tired of looking at it. So anyway:

Name: Luther in the Hood. As a result of an early-on error, the executable in the unzipped folder is afroTest4.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?h02xsl2wyp3nejr

I am concerned that this may not be a working link, since I am also noob at MediaFire. I suspect Stupot+ will advise if it is not, unless someone beats him to it.

In game screen shot:

I was never able to get the dialog to work like I wanted it to, and it also kept turning into War and Peace on me. I also relied heavily on Ghost's BASS template, so Mr. Ghost gets a big thank you from me. Now, you can download and dismiss my very first MAGs entry and eagerly await the good stuff that appears to be coming your way, shortly.

Stupot

Nice one Jwalt. Congrats on finishing a game :-D
I look forward to giving it a whirl.
It looks like a valid download link but I will check it properly in due course :-)

Gurok

jwalt, I can't wait to play yours because I think the dialogue's going to be hilarious.

I just realised, almost the whole month's gone by and Catpunter and I haven't posted any screenshots to show progress. Here's what our title screen looks like:

Also, WARNING: You will need at LEAST an EGA to play our game. Sorry, CGA users! :P

Most of the game is actually greyscale with accent colours, so it looks pretty different from this title screen. Have to save a surprise or two!

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Retro Wolf

A very short project, I'm just glad to have actually released something!

Your Grace!

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2008/

Gurok

I have a question. If someone had a fake studio logo they were planning on making an EGA version of, would that come under "material created before the competition"? The logo already exists, but I'd be recolouring it for the game.

Cassiebsg

Don't think so, since 1) you are re-coloring it, hence remaking it, and 2) it's just a logo... otherwise you also need to change your name, since it was "made before the comp started"... ;)

Retro Wolf

If it's a studio logo you're going to see it for what, two seconds? I'd say it's fine.

Mandle

Wow....For my MAGS entry "Speed Buggy: Manifold Destiny" I totally ripped the graphics from the original cartoon(and several others), and also ripped most of the object/inventory images from google images...

I did however have to work up all the images to get them to fit with the story/puzzles of the game...This took many hours of work: Adapting images to fit your framework is an artistic challenge in and of itself I would say. There is an entire field of art: "Collage", that is all about this...

My goal in creating the game was to pack as many puzzles as possible into the game within the time limit, so I could not spend the time redrawing every pixel of every scene that I needed from the source material...

Actually, the MAGS description itself states that you should concentrate on the aspects of game dev that you feel you need the most experience with: And for me, at the time, that was puzzles...

I feel that the rule of "EVERYTHING IN THE GAME MUST BE CREATED BY THE MAKER" (yeah, except sound effects) is a bit limiting: This is indie freeware...Why not just let the game dev rip off as much pre-existing material* as they like, as long as they are transparent about it, and let the voters decide?(If you are entering MAGS for the win in the first place then you are probably entering for the wrong reason...)

Imagine if Andy Warhol had tried to adhere to the "official" MAGS rules... (laugh)

* By "pre-existing material" I mean material that is already publicly-accessable, not game material that the author had already made themself thus allowing them to enter a GIP into MAGS...That would not be cool...

Stupot

3 day warning!
Thanks to Jwalt and Retrowolf, we have a contest!
But just how much of a contest will it be?
How are things going CatPunter & Gurok, FunkPanzer, Sox & Myinah, Matt Frith, Cat & Creamy?

I've been a bit wishy-washy about the deadline till now. So, I'm setting 23:59 GMT on the 31st as an official cut-off point.

@Gurok - I think this logo you speak of should be fine. The way I interpret the 'make your own assets' rule is that it mainly refers to actual game content, to both promote creativity and promise a level playing field. As Mandle said, he made a whole game with ripped artwork. On another day, people might have got upset and they would have had a case, but on that day no-one seemed to mind so it didn't become an issue. In general though, the challenge of making a wholly original game from scratch in one month is what makes it such a special contest.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 29/01/2016 00:00:34
As Mandle said, he made a whole game with ripped artwork. On another day, people might have got upset and they would have had a case, but on that day no-one seemed to mind so it didn't become an issue. In general though, the challenge of making a wholly original game from scratch in one month is what makes it such a special contest.

Hehe....It probably helped that I was up against "Red Hot Overdrive" so there was little mystery about who was going to win anyways ;)

cat

We're still in, making good progress and should finish in time!

Creamy

Right now, the rats are too agressive so Cat is tweaking their AI.
I hope I can get the fire to spread properly by sunday.

Spoiler
It's a turn-based racing game.:wink:
[close]

Matt Frith

I should be okay for the deadline also. Had a bit more than expected left to do but it's pretty much ready minus a few animations. I'll probably spend all the available time for fiddling and testing though :D

Funkpanzer

I'm submitting whatever I have ready at 6:30pm EST tomorrow, which is currently looking like a good example of things to come. ;-D

Problem

We (Myinah, Sox and I) are not going to make the deadline. But we love the direction our game is taking, so we're going to spend some more time on it and finish it with all the polish it deserves.
Good luck everyone, looking forward to your entries. :)

Gurok

Stress is pretty high! We are burning the midnight oil, but Catpunter has promised to get something uploaded by the deadline. Thanks, Stupot+, for the confirmation about the logo!

CatPunter

Missing the logo and a few tiny tiny things, but I don't want to leave it until after my nap knowing I'll probably wake up past the deadline and doom us both.

So without further ado, here's our game "The Dark Plague"

Download "The Dark Plague" HERE

cat

Creamy and I proudly present:

Oh du lieber Augustin

Download here

No matter how dark the theme, I still manage to include some light-hearted elements in a game :)

Creamy

I was afraid such a dark theme would deter Cat from participating but I am glad to be proven wrong.

Now, time to play some games :-D

Matt Frith

Here's my entry! Pretty pleased with it overall but I will probably go back and improve it after the voting has ended. Should hopefully be bug free though!

Among Thorns

Mandle

Holy Purple Pusticles!!! Soooooo many amazing looking games this month!!! I wish this month had ended on a friday so I could start playing (but I'm sure the entrants are glad it didn't)...

Cassiebsg

So far great entries all I've tried so far! :-D
And he I was thinking "Ready to start playing favorites and 2 more to play!" (nod)
Good job everyone!

Funkpanzer

Presenting ‘The Farm', a gothic comedy set in 14th century France.

TheFarm.zip

When Nicole's father takes ill she begins working for the de Fosse family on a neighbouring farm. There she is reacquainted with her childhood friend, Cecille de Fosse, and the rest of Cecille's family. Over the next few days Nicole's presence begins to have an effect on the de Fosse family, for better or for worse.

It's rough, but I think this is a good base to build on and plan on finishing this over the winter. Enjoy!

Known bugs/changes
Spoiler

• One of the four possible endings isn't working :sad:
  • The wheat field is a pain to interact with
  • The grain shed will eventually have its own room
  • An entire day of dialogue and puzzles had to be cut so things get a bit rushed in the last act
  • Sometimes the menu isn't accessible
  • Lots of audio dropouts etc.
[close]

e. I changed the file because I forgot to turn debug mode off :/

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

A cracking SIX entries. And they all look superb. Well done everybody.

Here are the entries:

Luther in the Hood by jwalt
Your Grace by Retro Wolf
The Dark Plague by CatPunter and Gurok
Oh du lieber Augustin by Cat and Creamy
Among Thorns by Matt Frith
The Farm by Funkpanzer

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS JANUARY

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite

CatPunter

Man, good job everyone. This crop of games is going to keep me busy for the next week, I swear. They all look SO GOOD.

Billbis

Congratulation everyone! Looking forward to play your entries.

Mandle

I've been playing "The Dark Plague" tonight and...

Firstly: It is amazing!!!

But I was wondering:

SPOILERS:
Spoiler

I've managed to create the cure (except for fermenting it) and escape from the loft window into obscurity and the main door into same...I have not figured out how to ferment the cure for a fortnight, nor have any idea what "10 year treacle" is, which I guess I'm supposed to use to speed up the process?

I've found many hotspots that do not provide a pop-up description over the cursor when hovered over and this cost me about half an hour until I figured out that the book and the pot in the loft are actually things I can pick up...Is this on purpose or an oversight? Other things that show positive yellow-cursor but provide no descriptions are the second bed in the loft and the rafters...Although I cannot seem to do anything with them...

So what I was curious about was if there is actually a way to fully make the cure or if the current "you die of old age in obscurity" endings are the only ones possible in this version? Not really asking for spoiler hints: Just asking if I should keep trying for a better ending or if that's it for now?
[close]

shaun9991

These look amazing. Going to have a plague marathon when I get home tonight!! :D

Peder 🚀

Congrats on finishing everyone, I think I'll have to boot up Windows (sound messes up when trying to play AGS games on linux for me) sometime this week and play all the games! Looking great!

Funkpanzer

Me and my partner stayed up playing through everyone's entry last night and had a blast! :P Congrats to everyone that took part!

Atavismus

I'm really glad to see that our theme inspired you guyz!
6 entries is a lot! And they look nice!
Be sure I'll try them all!
Thx you dear MAGSers :)

CatPunter

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 01/02/2016 13:41:21
I've been playing "The Dark Plague" tonight and...

Firstly: It is amazing!!!

But I was wondering:

SPOILERS:
Spoiler

I've managed to create the cure (except for fermenting it) and escape from the loft window into obscurity and the main door into same...I have not figured out how to ferment the cure for a fortnight, nor have any idea what "10 year treacle" is, which I guess I'm supposed to use to speed up the process?

I've found many hotspots that do not provide a pop-up description over the cursor when hovered over and this cost me about half an hour until I figured out that the book and the pot in the loft are actually things I can pick up...Is this on purpose or an oversight? Other things that show positive yellow-cursor but provide no descriptions are the second bed in the loft and the rafters...Although I cannot seem to do anything with them...

So what I was curious about was if there is actually a way to fully make the cure or if the current "you die of old age in obscurity" endings are the only ones possible in this version? Not really asking for spoiler hints: Just asking if I should keep trying for a better ending or if that's it for now?
[close]

Spoiler
It's supposed to be you make the cure because you couldn't find 10 year old treacle (and it'd take too long to make it!) Unfortunately I think I didn't get that across too well. When you leave and face the townspeople with the cure you'll actually trigger whether you helped cure them or not, by leaving through the window you'll run away and live or die depending if you have the wine/flask of water and coins in your inventory. If your fever is too high you'll die of the plague shortly after, with fervor you become a flagellant but if you're under a certain amount for both you'll simply die of old age.

A lot of descriptions for some reason isn't showing up either, probably because I butchered the code, so sorry if that made you waste time. The best endings don't really exist because it's the plague, but if there is one it'd be burning enough objects in the fireplace to trigger the "You burn down the house/village!" ending. If you unlocked the window before doing so you'll escape into the woods instead of burning to death, stop the plague from spreading (because everyone is dead) and live a full life.
[close]

Retro Wolf

Some excellent looking games this month!

Myinah

It's a hard one this month. I feel almost unable to vote because of being in the IRC and knowing how hard everyone worked and seeing the quality of the titles. It's like Sophie's choice :~( I've played them all and there are some real gems this month. 

selmiak

Quote from: cat on Sun 31/01/2016 20:34:16
Creamy and I proudly present:

Oh du lieber Augustin

Download here

No matter how dark the theme, I still manage to include some light-hearted elements in a game :)
I love that atmosphere in the pub. feels like some advX supercut, or maybe I'm just hearing things.  8-0 8-)

cat

Raeff recorded the background noise of a nearby pub while we were waiting for our dinner. He then edited it to make it loop nicely and avoid having words or phrases recognizable.

I agree with Myinah that it was great to meet in IRC and talk about our projects and progress. The little teasers you showed where a great motivation and made me look forward to all the games and work harder on our own game. Too bad team Dropped Monocle didn't make it. I'm looking forward to the extended version!
Also thanks for the occasional AGS help.

I started playing the games yesterday and it was great already.

Mandle

I just finished earlier today: "Oh du lieber Augustin" (commented on the AGS database game page)

Just now I finished playing "The Farm", and as I could not find a database entry or completed game thread I will comment here for now and copy/paste later if possible:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within the space of a single month the author has already created what I would call a masterpiece in the annals of AGS games. I was SO entranced with this game that the unfinished backgrounds, walkcycles, etc. did not detract at all from my involvement and immersion in the plot.

The game approaches topics that even modern society has trouble facing, let alone medieval society. Two in particular being:

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler
Euthanasia of terminally sick loved ones, and the impact a gay child has upon their family and the families around them.
[close]

The story of a young girl making her own choices about such hot-topics that are fully relevant even in modern times, but set back during the era of the Black Death is just such an EPIC concept that it sends a shiver down my spine.

PLEASE Funkpanzer pour your heart and soul into this game and complete it. The game deserves it!

(And I neeeeed to more fully explore the complex world and interpersonal relationships that you have created, or I will have to wonder forever what becomes of our young heroine...)

P.S: I also loved the attention to detail you put in with the environment changing from day to day, and also the atmospheric effects for different times of day...Still a work in progress I'm guessing, but still very beautiful and immersive even in these early stages!

EDIT: I forgot to add a bug report, involving slight spoilers so I will hide:

Spoiler
When you look through the hole in the barn it is possible to click close to the bottom/left of the hole and in a very David-Lynch-esque moment the main character walks into view in the forest while at the same time looking through the hole in first-person perspective. I actually thought you were taking the game in that direction until I realised it was a walkable area bug. I would also advise moving characters to a value like x=10000 when they are off-screen in such views. AGS can handle it and it's very convienient to just remember that x=10000 is the backstage area for the cast (laugh)
[close]

Mandle

Just finished all entries:

Luther in the Hood: Hahaha!!! Very non-PC game with inspired racial commentary. LOVED the opening intro screen: I haven't seen that done before. The game had me laughing a LOT and with sound-effects, music etc. added as well as expanding on the story, could be something really special...SUCKA!!!

Among Thorns: I'm stunned...I don't know what to say...Except that I suspect Matt Frith IS actually a post-physical AI entity to be able to pull off this incredible amount of world-building, graphics, story, charcter-development, GUI dev, etc etc. within a month...I suspect he also appreciated the movie "Transcendence" as much as I did as the best line from the movie appears in the game: "Better."...I'm pretty certain that this game is going to win this MAGS but:

I still must cast my vote for "The Farm" if I'm to be honest about which entry gave me the most amazing game experience personally.

It was a hard choice as "The Farm" is quite incomplete with a lot of placeholder graphics and animations, whereas "Among Thorns" is totally (and almost frightningly) complete and perfect in every way...I guess "intimidating" is a good word...

Also: "Oh du lieber Augustin" is incredible for its charm of setting, story, characters, and animations...

"Your Grace" was so much fun and also funny as hell...With great replay value as well!

And "The Dark Plague", with its retro dithered shading, hallucinogenic imagery, and multiple endings is also an instant MAGS gem...

I feel so horrible to choose but one, but for me it must be "The Farm". It brought me close to tears even without all the polish that I'm sure is to come...

Cheers to all entrants! A true crop of gold and an awesome way to kick off MAGS for 2016!!!

CatPunter

Quote from: Myinah on Tue 02/02/2016 14:41:34
It's a hard one this month. I feel almost unable to vote because of being in the IRC and knowing how hard everyone worked and seeing the quality of the titles. It's like Sophie's choice :~( I've played them all and there are some real gems this month.

Don't feel bad! Everyone submitted such great work and at the end of the month, regardless of who wins, we have a whopping 6 games to play through with some really cool themes. We've all already won this competition :D

Funkpanzer

Wow, thank you, Mandle. I am so happy that came across in this version as I was really apprehensive about even submitting it in this state. I have already started implementing the things that were missing and will eventually make a production thread once things are far enough along to get a discussion going. :)

Thanks for mentioning the bug and the suggested fix!

Cassiebsg

As long as you're fixing it, could you increase the speed of the walk slightly? It's a pain to go so long at so slow pace...

And I'm stuck... can't seem to get pass the next stage.
Spoiler

Need to help the kid that is bored after his mom took his sword. But can't seem find anything to help him. :-\
[close]

Funkpanzer

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 03/02/2016 18:51:15
As long as you're fixing it, could you increase the speed of the walk slightly? It's a pain to go so long at so slow pace...

And I'm stuck... can't seem to get pass the next stage.
Spoiler

Need to help the kid that is bored after his mom took his sword. But can't seem find anything to help him. :-\
[close]

Spoiler
That is an optional task that plays into your morality.
Spoiler
There is a toy in your house that you can give him, if you've already given it to him then I need to fix that :) If you don't have the toy with you on the third day it's impossible to do anything.
Spoiler
If you've already given him the toy you can go one (very optional) step further.
[close]
[close]
[close]

The walk speed got really annoying for me as well and I'm going to figure out a happy medium eventually, most likely a walkspeed option.

e. I should have mentioned, if you hit ESC while playing there is a menu with Save and Load options, etc.

Cassiebsg

Ah crap!
I was afraid of that. :(
Guess I need to restart.

Spoiler

And that step further was rather unexpected. Then I figured it must cause I need the little ball for something...
can't I just collect some pees and teach him to play marbles? :P
[close]

Creamy

QuoteI've played them all and there are some real gems this month.

You're right. All these games are worthy of my time.

Luther in the Hood :
Spoiler
Nice first game. The backstory is a nice touch. No real puzzles here but it's an original take on the theme and the dialogs are funny.
[close]

Your Grace :
Spoiler
Thanks to the distinctive personnality of each each minister, I was entertained for several games. Many different people have fought for me and many swords have been driven through my stomach.
[close]

The Dark Plague :
Spoiler
The austerity of the black and white backgrounds suits the plot very well. I especially enjoyed the first part with the changing backgrounds and weird symbols reminiscent of ancient books. It was very oppressive and for a while I was convinced that I could be killed any moment.
[close]

Among Thorns :
Spoiler
It's astounding that this game was made in one month - so many things happen in the backgrounds. The plot is complex too. Despite relying a lot on futuristic technology, the puzzles remain understandable.
[close]

The Farm :
Spoiler
I like the melancholic atmosphere that oozes from the landscapes and the characters (especially Cecille). It's an ambitious game. Despite its roughness, it's fully playable. I'll probably replay it when it's finished to try to get a better ending.
[close]

jwalt

I took a look at all of these, and I am impressed with all of them.

Among Thorns
Spoiler
The clear winner for me, and the one I'd likely return to play when complete. Awesome.
[close]

The Farm
Spoiler
Funkpanzer has an impressive game, here. Please continue working on it. I thought the simplistic backgrounds were an excellent fit with the overall melancholy that seems to drive the game.
[close]

Your Grace
Spoiler
Fun to play. Fun to try to figure out what opened which ending.
[close]

Oh du lieber Augustin
Spoiler
Another fun to play game. Impressive artwork in the tavern. Might have been my winner if not for Thorns.
[close]

The Dark Plague
Spoiler
Thoughtful piece. Impressed with artwork using the limited colors. Enjoyed it, but not sure of what, exactly, was happening.
[close]

Shadow1000

I don't see a completed game announcement for Among Thorns so I just want to make my comments here.

I just played the game and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. The story is exciting. The environment is very, very impressive. It fits the contest theme but in a novel way. Most of all, the puzzles were AWESOME. My only small concerns are:

- The backgrounds are a bit busy. It would be a bit more pleasing to have less crowding on the screens.
- The interface for using inventory items is a bit cumbersome. If you polish up the game then it would be nice to see an icon with the selected inventory item move on the screen so you can use it on whatever you want to use it. That way the player knows that it is selected and what item is selected, AND one used, it should continue to be selected until the player releases it. Playing a game with great puzzles like this requires a fair amount of trial and error and having to reselect an inventory item is awkward.

Other than that, great job!

SHADOW

Gurok

With so much to play, it took me a while to complete them all. Every game was charming and fun. Talk about a tough decision!

Among Thorns

Spoiler
I liked where the Necronite plague was going, especially the exposition at the end. Felt a little bit like an introduction to a larger game. A little bit of pixel hunting, but overall really solid puzzles.
[close]

Oh du lieber Augustin

Spoiler
Beautiful animations. I appreciated all the work that went into them and I really liked the way the waitress whizzed around the room. I was very impressed with how the thread and puzzle managed to capture a sense of fanciful embellishment that would normally be part of a retelling.
[close]

Luther in the Hood

Spoiler
Had some good world building (and references to it!) but felt a little jumpy and sudden towards the end. The colonel's reveal sequence was nice. I would've liked maybe another puzzle. Good interpretation of the theme.
[close]

The Farm

Spoiler
By far the most ambitious in scope. I think the constant trekking back and forth really helped to add weight to the story as it unfolded. The mood was really well done. The writing had great characterisation. I got the intentional poisoning of the father ending. :D
[close]

Your Grace

Spoiler
I loved the refreshing, light tone of this game. Lots of character in the dialogue. I found it fun to ignore the pleas of the various ministers and just side with ministers unrelated to the issue at hand. Adeel's cousin? Oh my.
[close]

Stupot

48 hours left to vote, guys.
I can say that it's a close run between two titles. That said, no game has gone without a vote, so you can all breathe :-D

cat

Great games all around, was hard to decide.

Luther in the Hood :
Spoiler
Good first game! The introduction with walking along the description and the chicken was innovative and hillarious. Too bad there were actually no puzzles and the game was over as soon as the story was about to take off.
[close]

Your Grace :
Spoiler
Fun game with high replay value. I thoroughly enjoyed the weird outcomes. I only couldn't figure out how to tell the spy on whom to spy.
[close]

The Dark Plague :
Spoiler
Interesting concept, I managed to escape through the window. Changing the background when returning to a room made me freak out. The game could need more polish regarding interactions with items and a few bugs.
[close]

Among Thorns :
Spoiler
Interesting setting with what feels like a whole world created just for a short game. Great animations and graphics. The inventory menu was a bit hard to use for me.
[close]

The Farm :
Spoiler
Another interesting setting and I like the idea of branching paths and decisions. The part of the graphics that was finished provided a very good atmosphere. What bothered be more than the incomplete graphics, though, was the incomplete gameplay. I'd love to have much more dialog and interactions with the people around and the puzzles where also not very engaging.
[close]

Retro Wolf

Quote from: cat on Sun 14/02/2016 11:11:59
I only couldn't figure out how to tell the spy on whom to spy.

You press the enter key when the spy is selected to cycle through the ministers. That was a bit of laziness on my part, if I get a chance to update the project I'll make it easier.

I've been really impressed with the projects this month, and I've voted for Among Thorns!

Billbis

I played all the entries and voted. Many thanks to all of you for your games!

Atavismus

I played all entries and voted.
What a month!
Among Thorns is such a top quality game that it could eclipse all those other strong entries.
They are all different, all interesting and each with some strong points.
You can all be proud.
Thank you all! :)

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Luther in the Hood by Jwalt - 1 vote
• Your Grace by Retro Wolf - 1 vote
• The Dark Plague by CatPunter and Gurok - 1 vote
• Oh du lieber Augustin by Cat and Creamy - 2 votes
• The Farm by Funkpanzer - 5 votes
• Among Thorns by Matt Frith - 8 votes

Well done Matt. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for March.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Gurok

Congratulations, Matt! A worthy winner!

Creamy

cat

Congrats, Matt!

Great entries all around this month!

Mandle

Congrats to the winner, and a huge thanks to everyone who entered one of the most exciting MAGS in quite some time! Also a big thanks to the theme-chooser for such a great theme that everyone could really sink their creative teeth into!

Matt Frith

Thank you for your kind words people. I had a lot of fun last month making Among Thorns and hanging out with others on the #ags irc channel. All the entries were high quality this month so it was stiff competition. Hopefully we'll be seeing a fully complete version of The Farm one day and also Autoblight, which looks great! Would be nice to see more people get involved with the ags irc chat. It was quite motivational to talk about ideas and share progress.

Hopefully I can pick a theme as good as this one :O

Retro Wolf

Congratulations Matt! Well deserved!
And thanks to my secret admirer! ;)

Funkpanzer

Congrats Matt! Glad I could be a part of this great month of work!

Atavismus

Congratz all!
Congratz Matt!
And above all, thank you all for those great games ;)

CatPunter

Congrats everyone! It was really fun and a great month.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk