MAGS January "Black Death" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Sat 02/01/2016 05:49:30

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Creamy and I proudly present:

Oh du lieber Augustin

Download here

No matter how dark the theme, I still manage to include some light-hearted elements in a game :)

Creamy

I was afraid such a dark theme would deter Cat from participating but I am glad to be proven wrong.

Now, time to play some games :-D

Matt Frith

Here's my entry! Pretty pleased with it overall but I will probably go back and improve it after the voting has ended. Should hopefully be bug free though!

Among Thorns

Mandle

Holy Purple Pusticles!!! Soooooo many amazing looking games this month!!! I wish this month had ended on a friday so I could start playing (but I'm sure the entrants are glad it didn't)...

Cassiebsg

So far great entries all I've tried so far! :-D
And he I was thinking "Ready to start playing favorites and 2 more to play!" (nod)
Good job everyone!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Funkpanzer

Presenting ‘The Farm', a gothic comedy set in 14th century France.

TheFarm.zip

When Nicole's father takes ill she begins working for the de Fosse family on a neighbouring farm. There she is reacquainted with her childhood friend, Cecille de Fosse, and the rest of Cecille's family. Over the next few days Nicole's presence begins to have an effect on the de Fosse family, for better or for worse.

It's rough, but I think this is a good base to build on and plan on finishing this over the winter. Enjoy!

Known bugs/changes
Spoiler

• One of the four possible endings isn't working :sad:
  • The wheat field is a pain to interact with
  • The grain shed will eventually have its own room
  • An entire day of dialogue and puzzles had to be cut so things get a bit rushed in the last act
  • Sometimes the menu isn't accessible
  • Lots of audio dropouts etc.
[close]

e. I changed the file because I forgot to turn debug mode off :/

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

A cracking SIX entries. And they all look superb. Well done everybody.

Here are the entries:

Luther in the Hood by jwalt
Your Grace by Retro Wolf
The Dark Plague by CatPunter and Gurok
Oh du lieber Augustin by Cat and Creamy
Among Thorns by Matt Frith
The Farm by Funkpanzer

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS JANUARY

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite

__________________________________________________________________________________________

CatPunter

Man, good job everyone. This crop of games is going to keep me busy for the next week, I swear. They all look SO GOOD.
Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

Billbis

Congratulation everyone! Looking forward to play your entries.

Mandle

I've been playing "The Dark Plague" tonight and...

Firstly: It is amazing!!!

But I was wondering:

SPOILERS:
Spoiler

I've managed to create the cure (except for fermenting it) and escape from the loft window into obscurity and the main door into same...I have not figured out how to ferment the cure for a fortnight, nor have any idea what "10 year treacle" is, which I guess I'm supposed to use to speed up the process?

I've found many hotspots that do not provide a pop-up description over the cursor when hovered over and this cost me about half an hour until I figured out that the book and the pot in the loft are actually things I can pick up...Is this on purpose or an oversight? Other things that show positive yellow-cursor but provide no descriptions are the second bed in the loft and the rafters...Although I cannot seem to do anything with them...

So what I was curious about was if there is actually a way to fully make the cure or if the current "you die of old age in obscurity" endings are the only ones possible in this version? Not really asking for spoiler hints: Just asking if I should keep trying for a better ending or if that's it for now?
[close]

shaun9991

These look amazing. Going to have a plague marathon when I get home tonight!! :D
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Peder 🚀

Congrats on finishing everyone, I think I'll have to boot up Windows (sound messes up when trying to play AGS games on linux for me) sometime this week and play all the games! Looking great!

Funkpanzer

Me and my partner stayed up playing through everyone's entry last night and had a blast! :P Congrats to everyone that took part!

Atavismus

I'm really glad to see that our theme inspired you guyz!
6 entries is a lot! And they look nice!
Be sure I'll try them all!
Thx you dear MAGSers :)

CatPunter

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 01/02/2016 13:41:21
I've been playing "The Dark Plague" tonight and...

Firstly: It is amazing!!!

But I was wondering:

SPOILERS:
Spoiler

I've managed to create the cure (except for fermenting it) and escape from the loft window into obscurity and the main door into same...I have not figured out how to ferment the cure for a fortnight, nor have any idea what "10 year treacle" is, which I guess I'm supposed to use to speed up the process?

I've found many hotspots that do not provide a pop-up description over the cursor when hovered over and this cost me about half an hour until I figured out that the book and the pot in the loft are actually things I can pick up...Is this on purpose or an oversight? Other things that show positive yellow-cursor but provide no descriptions are the second bed in the loft and the rafters...Although I cannot seem to do anything with them...

So what I was curious about was if there is actually a way to fully make the cure or if the current "you die of old age in obscurity" endings are the only ones possible in this version? Not really asking for spoiler hints: Just asking if I should keep trying for a better ending or if that's it for now?
[close]

Spoiler
It's supposed to be you make the cure because you couldn't find 10 year old treacle (and it'd take too long to make it!) Unfortunately I think I didn't get that across too well. When you leave and face the townspeople with the cure you'll actually trigger whether you helped cure them or not, by leaving through the window you'll run away and live or die depending if you have the wine/flask of water and coins in your inventory. If your fever is too high you'll die of the plague shortly after, with fervor you become a flagellant but if you're under a certain amount for both you'll simply die of old age.

A lot of descriptions for some reason isn't showing up either, probably because I butchered the code, so sorry if that made you waste time. The best endings don't really exist because it's the plague, but if there is one it'd be burning enough objects in the fireplace to trigger the "You burn down the house/village!" ending. If you unlocked the window before doing so you'll escape into the woods instead of burning to death, stop the plague from spreading (because everyone is dead) and live a full life.
[close]
Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

Retro Wolf

Some excellent looking games this month!

Myinah

It's a hard one this month. I feel almost unable to vote because of being in the IRC and knowing how hard everyone worked and seeing the quality of the titles. It's like Sophie's choice :~( I've played them all and there are some real gems this month. 

selmiak

Quote from: cat on Sun 31/01/2016 20:34:16
Creamy and I proudly present:

Oh du lieber Augustin

Download here

No matter how dark the theme, I still manage to include some light-hearted elements in a game :)
I love that atmosphere in the pub. feels like some advX supercut, or maybe I'm just hearing things.  8-0 8-)

cat

Raeff recorded the background noise of a nearby pub while we were waiting for our dinner. He then edited it to make it loop nicely and avoid having words or phrases recognizable.

I agree with Myinah that it was great to meet in IRC and talk about our projects and progress. The little teasers you showed where a great motivation and made me look forward to all the games and work harder on our own game. Too bad team Dropped Monocle didn't make it. I'm looking forward to the extended version!
Also thanks for the occasional AGS help.

I started playing the games yesterday and it was great already.

Mandle

I just finished earlier today: "Oh du lieber Augustin" (commented on the AGS database game page)

Just now I finished playing "The Farm", and as I could not find a database entry or completed game thread I will comment here for now and copy/paste later if possible:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within the space of a single month the author has already created what I would call a masterpiece in the annals of AGS games. I was SO entranced with this game that the unfinished backgrounds, walkcycles, etc. did not detract at all from my involvement and immersion in the plot.

The game approaches topics that even modern society has trouble facing, let alone medieval society. Two in particular being:

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler
Euthanasia of terminally sick loved ones, and the impact a gay child has upon their family and the families around them.
[close]

The story of a young girl making her own choices about such hot-topics that are fully relevant even in modern times, but set back during the era of the Black Death is just such an EPIC concept that it sends a shiver down my spine.

PLEASE Funkpanzer pour your heart and soul into this game and complete it. The game deserves it!

(And I neeeeed to more fully explore the complex world and interpersonal relationships that you have created, or I will have to wonder forever what becomes of our young heroine...)

P.S: I also loved the attention to detail you put in with the environment changing from day to day, and also the atmospheric effects for different times of day...Still a work in progress I'm guessing, but still very beautiful and immersive even in these early stages!

EDIT: I forgot to add a bug report, involving slight spoilers so I will hide:

Spoiler
When you look through the hole in the barn it is possible to click close to the bottom/left of the hole and in a very David-Lynch-esque moment the main character walks into view in the forest while at the same time looking through the hole in first-person perspective. I actually thought you were taking the game in that direction until I realised it was a walkable area bug. I would also advise moving characters to a value like x=10000 when they are off-screen in such views. AGS can handle it and it's very convienient to just remember that x=10000 is the backstage area for the cast (laugh)
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk