Weird BgSpeech module behaviour

Started by Kumpel, Sun 17/01/2016 20:04:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

After months of flawlessness I suddenly have a strange problem with the BgSpeech module which forces the playercharacter to stop moving when BgSpeech is happening on screen. Maybe anyone of you guys knows what the reason could be?

Even a clean new project (Downloadable here) with only the demo room, the imported BgSpeech module and this added code:

Code: ags
function room_FirstLoad()
{
BgSpeech.Add(cChar1,"Test",eBgSpeech_NotAnimating);
BgSpeech.Pause(30);
BgSpeech.Start(eBgSpeech_Loop);
}

has the same problem for me, stopping the player's movements everytime the Test speech is shown on screen...

What do I miss? Isn't that module non blocking in every way? Why does it suddenly makes the player stop moving?

update:

while testing what causes this, I just noticed that the module now behaves like this:

After starting the module with BgSpeech.Start(...);
Using the indexed BgSpeech.Pause(...) causes the player character to stop moving when the pause starts.
Using BgSpeech.Add("...") only and non_looped causes the player character to stop moving only when the BgSpeech text disappears(?)
These codes block everything regarding the player character: Speech animation, walk animation, idle view. Even a blocking command like player.Walk(x,y,eBlock) is being stopped by it and is not continued when it's done with its hellish influence?!

There must be dark magic at play here, right? :shocked: 8-0 :confused: ???

(I knew i shouldn't have watched that creepy movie "Unfriend/friend request" about a hacker witch...)

Kumpel

Guys, so nobody has an idea? Do you miss any more information to help me? :X

Gurok

I don't know if many people use the BGSpeech module, Kumpel. You might want to prod Phemar about this thread in a PM.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Kumpel

Thanks for your reply! I wrote Phemar but he saif he is busy and can't really remember what he coded there :D

I solved the problem myself with some amateur-ish coded timer-SayBackground-parts combined with non blocking animations in rep_exec and r_e_a instead of using the module which i don't understand at all (roll)

Atm I needed this to happen for two rooms only. I can live with it though experienced coders would hit me if they ever see it I guess :-[

I actually thought BgSpeech is the common module for this problem below the AGS Version 3.4.X.X
What would you use to animate characters talking in the background, Gurok?

Gurok

Quote from: Kumpel on Mon 25/01/2016 14:28:25
What would you use to animate characters talking in the background, Gurok?

I haven't had to deal with the problem of background animations for speech myself, so I don't know. I'm not saying BGSpeech is a bad choice. Perhaps it's just uncommonly used because not a lot of people do that kind of animation. Not sure.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Slasher

i have used this module and found no ill effect...

i will test a few options and get back...

Kumpel

Slasher this is a clean project where you can see what I mean. Just click on the button in the upper right area and choose download as zip file. Please tell me if you get the same weird behaviour :-\

Slasher

i'm unable to play game and i use 3.2.1

i'll get back..

Kumpel

Not even the compiled exe?

Ah okay. I am using 3.3.3.

Thx for your efford :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk