Those silly little pleasures.

Started by Retro Wolf, Wed 20/01/2016 18:17:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro Wolf

We have a thread about "What grinds my gears" so I thought it would be interesting to do one about the opposite!

Every pay day I have Chinese takeaway, there's a place that's only a two minute walk from my house so I always go there. It's not much to look at, it's a house on a regular street that's been converted into a place of business. It's not a restaurant you can sit and eat in, there's just a little waiting room with a couple of worse for wear deck chairs.

Now here's the silly little pleasure, I could have rang ahead and lessened the wait, I could have ordered from a better place that's further away and had it delivered. But through a door you can catch a glimpse of the kitchen, hear the oil sizzling and the pots clanging, smell the food! There's also a man who sings in his own language as he works, but the silly little pleasure doesn't last long! This is fast food after all...

Adeel

I believe that masturbation is surely almost everyone's favourite silly little (and perhaps guilty) pleasure. :=

Retro Wolf

I was thinking along the lines of people that like walking through the rain or watching the sunrise, trust you to lower the tone Adeel! ;)
And if you feel guilty about masturbation, well that's just unhealthy!

Mandle

When I've lazily let the air pressure in my bicycle tires fall so low that I feel the rims hitting the ground at each big bump in the road....then I stop and fill them until my thumb can't make a dent: Getting on the bike and the first 5 minutes of riding is total bliss.

A friend had anyother one years ago that I still remember: When you buy something at a store and you exactly use up every last bit of change in your pocket.

Stupot

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sun 24/01/2016 16:12:42
That depends on where you do it :/

It's not 'silly', but one of my biggest pleasures is seeing Mt. Fuji out of my apartment window on a clear day. I guess the silly part is that I've been in this flat for 9 months now and I still squeal like it's the first time. One day it'll be 'meh' but today is not that day.

For a more silly one, I like sucking tea through a Twix like a straw. You have to bite each end first to reveal some biscuit and then suck. You can only do it once as the Twix disintegrates quite quickly. But luckily Twixes come in twos :-)

Weston_Kaunk

On long drives or trips anywhere with friends I enjoy when we get turned around and the process of finding our way back. Driving to a concert or the comic store whenever it's a new route or a shortcut everyone becomes a backseat driver, which sounds annoying, but with my friends it's just funny how we can't stop ourselves from trying to help each other or be part of the solution even if we don't clearly know what's going on. It's like being in a car full of stooges fumbling with the map and speaking loudly over each other and the music and laughing. Getting lost when you're alone is no fun, but when it's with friends you know you've got another three pairs of eyes and that you'll figure out where you're going. Plus we always leave early because of how often this happens so there's never the anxiety of showing up late.

Another one that I enjoy more often is reorganizing and cleaning my room, I work a bunch and so when I have time at home between making meals, sleeping, and getting ready for work, I reorganize my room, my book shelf, or just clean the house. Sometimes I listen to an audio book while I do it.

Also doing dishes while at someone elses house. It's kinda silly, but I find it very relaxing. I'm the less connected person of my group of friends so when I go to peoples houses or to parties they'll often have other people there who I haven't been introduced to yet or know very well. So I end up in the kitchen and helping cook/clean up/serve the food or drinks so I have something to do with my hands while I make conversation or something that gives me an easy out of awkward silences if I don't know what to do/ say. I do the same thing every holiday when I meet up with the extended family.  :P
tldr: I say too much
http://westonkaunk.itch.io/

Snarky

On the first proper snow day of the year, taking out my kicksled for an evening ride on the neighborhood streets. It's just about the most inconvenient form of transportation there is (whenever you get to a major road or somewhere the snow hasn't been hard-packed, you have to carry it), but that's part of the charm, and gliding downhill when everything is covered in fresh white snow is totally jinglebellicious.

Retro Wolf

@Stupot I do the Twix thing with Coffee! I do get funny looks, but they don't know what they're missing!

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 25/01/2016 18:00:06
On the first proper snow day of the year, taking out my kicksled for an evening ride on the neighborhood streets. It's just about the most inconvenient form of transportation there is (whenever you get to a major road or somewhere the snow hasn't been hard-packed, you have to carry it), but that's part of the charm, and gliding downhill when everything is covered in fresh white snow is totally jinglebellicious.

Really
Old-school
Sledding
Experience
But
Under
Developed

Mouth for war

Candy in bed while watching family guy or something else stupid/funny! :D That is my guilty pleasure for sure!!!
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Stromvin

i just love rain, not walking through it, but watching and listening. Like standing under a thin metal roof just wide enough to protect me from getting all too wet. But with all its sound and smell. Just makes me feel all comfy.
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Stupot

Quote from: Stromvin on Tue 26/01/2016 23:54:05
i just love rain, not walking through it, but watching and listening. Like standing under a thin metal roof just wide enough to protect me from getting all too wet. But with all its sound and smell. Just makes me feel all comfy.
I like this too. I used to enjoy sitting in my car when it was raining heavily and just meditating to the white noise it crates.

Cassiebsg

I once enjoyed getting entirely wet by heavy rain in a summer day. There was no where to seek cover and once you are soaking it doesn't mater anymore, so I ended up enjoying walking the remaining half and hour walk back under the rain. (nod) It felt surprisingly good! (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stromvin

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 27/01/2016 08:24:27
I once enjoyed getting entirely wet by heavy rain in a summer day. There was no where to seek cover and once you are soaking it doesn't mater anymore, so I ended up enjoying walking the remaining half and hour walk back under the rain. (nod) It felt surprisingly good! (roll)
Yeah in summer i can imagine this. In winter or autumn with heavy clothes and scarf... not so much ;)
Strong wind is another nice adding to heavy rain. When it really seems to hammer on your window. Different touch but also very enjoyable, if you are inside that is ;)
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Mandle

Quote from: Stromvin on Thu 28/01/2016 11:19:31
Strong wind is another nice adding to heavy rain. When it really seems to hammer on your window. Different touch but also very enjoyable, if you are inside that is ;)

SOOOO agree with both your posts: Especially the first about standing just under the narrow tin roof, but also the window-rattling wind...Although I would amend to: "if you are inside that is, and don't have to head out any time soonish..."

Haggis

Watching thunderstorms in the dark. Gets me every time - be they overhead or out at sea. As others have said - this is even better when somewhere that amplifies the splashing of rain drops - like in a caravan, conservatory, car etc.

Adeel

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sun 24/01/2016 16:12:42
I was thinking along the lines of people that like walking through the rain or watching the sunrise, trust you to lower the tone Adeel! ;)
You're getting old and cranky, my friend. (wrong)

Stromvin

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 28/01/2016 12:39:02
SOOOO agree with both your posts: Especially the first about standing just under the narrow tin roof, but also the window-rattling wind...Although I would amend to: "if you are inside that is, and don't have to head out any time soonish..."

But maybe, just maybe. Coming from outside havin been wet all over and frozen, and then sitting close to the fire(well or any kind of heater) packed in a blanket and a cup of hot tea or coffee or chocolate in your hands. And then, looking back outside in the stormy rain, might be even better. just maybe.

cat

In winter, when sun rises, depending on the weather conditions it might be bright orange and will draw a bright orange rectangle on the opposite wall in my bedroom just for a few minutes. Isn't this an awesome thing to wake up with?
In summer, the position of the sun is different (and I'm never awake during the much earlier sunrise) so this is a thing I can only enjoy now.

Jack

Yeah, rain sounds are nice, especially on a tin roof. Also the smell after it has rained.

There's a huge tree outside my house. I love the sound it makes when the wind blows through it while I'm drifting off to sleep.

I love driving in rain storms. Outside it's raging, but inside you just switch the wipers to high and relax in comfort.

Ghost

I made a Top Ten. Not in order. With silly little pleasures, you take what you're dealt.

Drawing, inking, colouring a picture.
Watching "The Big Lebowsky" with someone who expect the movie to have. a. plot.
When suitably hungry, the cat wakes me by sticking his nose into my ear.
Pan-fried panhas.
When it's cold and windy I have my personal banshee singing through the roof tiles.
Duck ramen.
Coffee, donut, cigarette. The trick is to dunk one into the other while smoking the third and not mixing up anything.
Rewatching Galaxy Rangers.
Comfy sofa, Discworld novel.
Podcasts. I've subscribed to about a dozen of them and sometimes they turn out highly entertaining. Beats the radio charts.

Quintaros

So many good ones. 

One that I'm enjoying this morning is a good coffee paired with a couple of chocolates.  My coffee quality control is really inconsistent so when I get it just right it's that much more special.

Retro Wolf

Nice to see the thread taking off, I was a bit embarrassed when no one replied! :-D

I also find the sound of rain relaxing!

Another silly little pleasure, my part of the bed is next to the wall, I like to lie on my front and put one arm down the side and touch the floor. Feel the coolness of the wall!

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sat 30/01/2016 14:43:50
Another silly little pleasure, my part of the bed is next to the wall, I like to lie on my front and put one arm down the side and touch the floor. Feel the coolness of the wall!

NOOOOOO!!! If you do that....H-h-he-he'll get you!!!

Ghost

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sat 30/01/2016 14:43:50
I like to lie on my front and put one arm down the side and touch the floor. Feel the coolness of the wall!

That sounds nice, but how does it compare to walking barefoot across a beach?

And another one: That little bit of milk you get when you're done with the cereal? It's delicious!

Mandle

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 31/01/2016 03:01:19
And another one: That little bit of milk you get when you're done with the cereal? It's delicious!

I very much agree (I actually overadd the milk on purpose so as to be sure there is plenty left. My wife only adds a splash...damn heathen...I've tried turning her to the light, but to no avail...), and would also add:

Licking the much thicker yogurt off the underside of the foil lid, and scooping out the same stuff caked around just inside the rim...

Stupot

I agree with the milk/cereal thing, too. Though, I have recently found out that milk has been the cause of all my wind problems. Now, farting is also a pleasure of mine but I have been forced to cut down on milk for my relationship's sake.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 31/01/2016 06:30:16
milk has been the cause of all my wind problems.

Wait...I thought your farting super-powers were caused by eggs?! :P

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 31/01/2016 11:42:08
Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 31/01/2016 06:30:16
milk has been the cause of all my wind problems.

Wait...I thought your farting super-powers were caused by eggs?! :P
Hehe. Well, they certainly do some damage too :-D

Weston_Kaunk

Also, the days you have off and get to leisurely cook your own meals and they turn out as well as you'd hope.
tldr: I say too much
http://westonkaunk.itch.io/

AnasAbdin

That feeling after drawing 9497543985 sprites and importing them into the scene and just kick back and watch them animate...

Danvzare

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Thu 10/03/2016 16:24:50
That feeling after drawing 9497543985 sprites

That's an oddly specific number...

Mouth for war

Yeah because everybody knows that a smooth animation requires 9497543986 frames...hmmpfff...amateurs... :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Jack

The cold part of my pillow.

mfw :)

Mandle

Laura Hunt

I'm not sure if it would qualify as insomnia, but I often have trouble sleeping through the whole night in one go and I'll often find myself waking up at 4:30 or 5:00 AM. The silly little pleasure comes when this happens on a spring/summer weekend, as I'll sometimes get up from bed, grab a jacket, and go for a walk around the block to enjoy the early morning sun on my face and the absolute lack of noise, cars, children and drunk dudes shouting at trash cans (yeah that's lovely Berlin for you). Then I'll go back up to my apartment, make myself a nice cup of coffee, and usually I'll end up falling asleep on the couch for a couple more hours. It's a wonderful feeling to have my neighbourhood all to myself for a little while and being able to take that little nap afterwards without having to worry about going to work.

Mandle

Danvzare

When you get to post on a thread again, because someone necroposted and no one noticed.  :-D

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 13/05/2019 17:08:32
When you get to post on a thread again, because someone necroposted and no one noticed.  :-D

That is not dead which can eternal lie  :P

Slasher

Waking up every morning to find the Almighty has given me yet another day....of both pleasure and pain  (laugh)

Retro Wolf

Didn't know you were into S and M Slasher!  ;)

Mandle

Taking off your socks in bed during the night.

milkanannan

Quote from: Stromvin on Tue 26/01/2016 23:54:05

This exactly. Added bonus with an ice cold pint of lager (or coffee if it's AM) and some soft music playing in the background. All my troubles are a mile away in this instance.

milkanannan

Sorry more like a thousand miles away. A mile is not that far!  (laugh)

Creamy

I agree about the rain.
I tend to fall asleep faster when it's raining outside.

Opening a pop-up book.

josiah1221

Those wonderful Aha! moments when you figure out the solution to a puzzle. :)

Retro Wolf

Cup of hot chocolate and a chocolate bar. I take a little bite of the bar, keep it on my tongue, then take a sip of the hot chocolate. The feeling and taste of the chocolate melting on your tongue!
Lately I've been throwing a bit of decaff coffee in the hot chocolate too.
Sometimes I bite both ends of a twix and use it as a straw, you have to suck hard though LOL.

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Tue 21/05/2019 12:27:06
Cup of hot chocolate and a chocolate bar. I take a little bite of the bar, keep it on my tongue, then take a sip of the hot chocolate. The feeling and taste of the chocolate melting on your tongue!
Lately I've been throwing a bit of decaff coffee in the hot chocolate too.
Sometimes I bite both ends of a twix and use it as a straw, you have to suck hard though LOL.

I believe Tim Tams has a special variety called "Slammers" which makes this ordeal a little easier.

Danvzare

Playing The Dark Mod, with an apple flavoured energy drink, while it's dark outside, and systematically killing everyone in the level.
I'm not joking. This is very relaxing for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk