Quest For Glory I: Extended Edition

Started by ZcheK, Thu 10/03/2011 22:26:18

Previous topic - Next topic

ZcheK

QFGI was probably my favorite game ever. The lovely village setting, the rpg system and 'develop by doing' mechanics, all combined with adventure/puzzle gaming. Wonderful.

This only thing was it was too short and possibly a little too easy.

So this (slightly ambitious) project seeks to remake the original and expand it, bring in more characters, quests, and some harder monsters (like a Dragon, lol).

So far I have most of the hero animations imported. All the original backgrounds, the rough start of a day and night system and the makings of the stats system. The battles are proving quite a challenge but are getting there.

Thanks very much for all your comments or suggestions. I'm back from Thailand now and working on the project again more regularly. Here is the latest exe. There are about 130 rooms to explore, you can go up the snowy mountains (stolen from QFG 4 1/2 lol) and take a sailing trip to Tarnia. You can also see some of the start of the stat system and numerous little things I've been adding slowly.

Download Version 0.1
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54516634/Quest%20For%20Glory%201%20EE%200.1.exe

Download link for the entire project. Feel free to use what I've done so far.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54516634/Quest%20For%20Glory%201%20Remake%20Core%20Files.rar

NEW Extended Goblin Hideout

duckwizard

Zikes!

Where did you get those new backgrounds?  Were they in the QFG1VGA resources, sitting unused?  Or did you make them yourself?  Either way, I for one am looking forward to playing.

cosmicr

Igor Hardy

At least some of these are ripped from Conquest of the Longbow.

ZcheK

Quote from: duckwizard on Fri 11/03/2011 00:06:50
Zikes!

Where did you get those new backgrounds?  Were they in the QFG1VGA resources, sitting unused?  Or did you make them yourself?  Either way, I for one am looking forward to playing.

the 'behind the castle' and 'going down from forest' are from Conquest of the Longbow. The 'mountain pass' is from Kings Quest V.
The 'Valley view' is indeed an unused resource from QFGI. Quite amazing that they didn't use it considering how beautiful it is (there's also  talking Cobolt animations!)

MMMorshew

I looked into every room with the debug mode and I was really impressed with some of the new backgrounds, especially the Dragon Mountain looked breathtaking. Its also great how you used backgrounds form Qfg 4 1/2  ;D
Also, seeing your speech animation with such a high frame rate felt like watching a webcam video inside the game, very well done.  ;)

But to be honest, I would like this a lot more if you just made a new QFG game that takes place in Spielburg once again, but with new problems, characters, missions and all kinds of changes that happened during the years of absence.  ;)

ZcheK

Quote from: MMMorshew on Sat 12/03/2011 21:18:29
I looked into every room with the debug mode and I was really impressed with some of the new backgrounds, especially the Dragon Mountain looked breathtaking. Its also great how you used backgrounds form Qfg 4 1/2  ;D
Also, seeing your speech animation with such a high frame rate felt like watching a webcam video inside the game, very well done.  ;)

But to be honest, I would like this a lot more if you just made a new QFG game that takes place in Spielburg once again, but with new problems, characters, missions and all kinds of changes that happened during the years of absence.  ;)

Thanks man that's really encouraging to hear.
I must take the coming back to Spielburg thing into consideration, the original was pretty perfect I'd hate to ruin it, and maybe it would feel pointless if you'd played the original game. Maybe something like qgf 4 1/2 but less character defaming ha ha

Moresco

I was almost excited for this...but using backgrounds from other games is kind of lame.  With the exception of the unused resource, that's much cooler, but I dunno.  With an extension like "Extended Edition", people are going to think I had something to do with this. =p  Of course I'm joking, but yeah I regret calling a PQ2 remake the "Extended Edition".  Sounds so lame.  Carry on dude!
::: Mastodon :::

deltamatrix

Nnnnoooo! Please don't use ripped backgrounds from other games. It'll be hard to take the game seriously.

It would be cool if you were to say remake/port the entire game totally like-for-like to begin with - then release the source before you begin the extended edition so others can make other versions of QFG (like a little modding community)

Just do it quickly before a C&D comes along from Activision lol
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: deltamatrix on Sun 13/03/2011 19:17:17
Nnnnoooo! Please don't use ripped backgrounds from other games. It'll be hard to take the game seriously.

Don't listen to those people! They are insane sociopaths who couldn't tell their left sock from their right sock. As long as the backgrounds styles blend nicely, then go for it!

Your game comes just in time! I started playing this QFG (my first QFG ever!) just 3 days ago.
But PLEASE make the combat system more playable! Find a way, I beg you! This system based on fast-clicking (with lame reactivity, which makes it even worse) drives me mad.

Moresco

Quote from: Ouxxey_games on Mon 14/03/2011 09:01:38
Quote from: deltamatrix on Sun 13/03/2011 19:17:17

Don't listen to those people! They are insane sociopaths who couldn't tell their left sock from their right sock.

You lie! There's no such thing as .... as... a RIGHT sock!
::: Mastodon :::

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Moresco on Mon 14/03/2011 09:54:26
You lie! There's no such thing as .... as... a RIGHT sock!

I demand this game to be finished with any background necessary to its completion; and if possible, the integration of socks-differenciation skill.

Da_Duke2000

I'll support the 'no ripped backgrounds' idea.

I'd gladly support the importing of all existing art, but take it from someone who is making their own game based on an existing franchise, that new unique backgrounds will rally people towards your cause and you'll have incredible support if you're prepared and patient.

I'll be watching this, nonetheless. Good luck!
Quill O' The Wisp - Forge Homepage
http://forge.freeiz.com/

Darth Mandarb

Let's not turn this into a debate on ripped verses original backgrounds.  If (s)he wants advice on that (s)he can post in the critics lounge.

ZcheK

QFG1 sprites are available to download now, hopefully helps some people doing similar stuff

deltamatrix

Cool. Thanks for providing the ripped sprites etc. Kinda makes the idea of attempting a whole AGS port of this game more tempting.  8)
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

FamousAdventurer77

Hey, that mountain scene directly to the right of the screen with the bits of snow is right from Quest For Glory 4 1/2...:P

I'm not going to jump into the ripped vs. not-ripped backgrounds fray, though I would prefer something more original to expand the game (vs my testing game I'm working on now that's not something to be taken seriously, it's just an exercise to learn the ins and outs of the game engine and uses ripped backgrounds and sprites out of convenience.)

But I will say this, I remember reading the FACS book that came with the game and getting all excited to take on the tougher enemies like Trolls and the like!
But I mostly fought brigands, goblins, and those stupid manta rays that always had me at the brink of death and no treasure on them. Maybe one or two cheetaurs, but I'd say 80% of most in-game combat were those pesky goblins.

There's all this info on trolls, ogres, dragons...but no dragon fight! (Not til QFG5, anyway.) Only one troll to fight in the game! One ogre! Both special event battles, not random baddies you run into in the forest...though I think I did come across one Saurus Rex on the Mac version and naturally when my hero was a total wimp.

So on that note, I agree with Ouxxey_games about the combat system-- to me, one big flaw of QFG1's combat system was that the main controls (let alone trying to use magic in battle) were pretty ass; there were countless times my hero died because he ran out of stamina, not hit points.
I'd consider that especially important for the dragon battle we got all hepped for from reading FACS but didn't come til the 5th game ;)
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

deltamatrix

seems a lot of ideas and material was cut from the original QFG game. The dragon fight probably being just a small part of it. Apparently the mage was also intended to have a familiar following him around - also an underground goblin maze was cut.

It'd be great to see a new QFG1 like game that recreates te original style and feel but fulfills all this cool stuff that didn't make it into the original.

ZcheK

I have completely jumped ship.....

I am now using RPG MAKER MV to make this.
The Blog is still the same, and demo version 0.007 is available for download.
http://questforglory1extended.blogspot.com/

I have a few reasons for changing my engine completely.
1) I'm really not good enough at scripting for AGS.
2) I've always loved the intuitive interface of RPG Maker. But up until recently it's been a very limited tool. RPG Maker MV has enough features and easy to use plugins available to actually make a point and click adventure RPG like this, as you can see evidenced from the demo.

However there are some things I really miss about AGS, such as pixel perfect click detection. I use need to use 1920 x 1056 resolution to emulate this in with RPG Maker's tile based click detection.
I also really miss the Characters tab of AGS.

I think AGS is vastly superior for creating a puzzle adventure game, however my game is a puzzle adventure/RPG with stats and a fighting system, and this is where RPG Maker seems to be really shining.

So good bye my dear AGS friends. I wish you all the best and hope you will continue to support my project.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk