Coloring Ball: „Puzzle Pieces“ - WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Started by Tabata, Sat 13/02/2016 21:54:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabata

<<    Puzzle Pieces     >>

This time it's all about puzzeles.
Think of the best puzzle you put in your game or the best/hardest puzzle you ever played so far.
Place one or more of the items that is/are needed to solve this puzzle in the given shape.

Also I'd like to read a bit about the puzzle itself, why you chose it and which game it is part of (your chance for a bit of house advertising (nod) ).
This is of course voluntary and no requirement
- but I'm already curious   

Here's your shape for this color ball:

You are allowed to rotate (no scaling please â€" using imagezoom for displaying will make it easy for all of us to discover all the details).
You can use as much colors as you like, also color the outline and choose the drawing style you prefer.
Just stay in (the) shape and don't cross the given outline.

Trophies? - Sure! 
As a little reward for those who participate and like to have a little something for their signature there will be those puzzeled trophies avaliable:

So don't forget to post your entry before the 27th of Feb is over (forum time).

btw.
You are allowed to come up with several submissions (but you can just win once â€" after the voting is done your 'strongest' entry will count)

Just for the fun of it ...
... now start and...
... be creative!

Danvzare

I started working on this on the 14th of February. I more or less finished it yesterday, but I made a few small quick adjustments today.
I'm not much of an artist, and this is the first time I've ever done anything like this. Overall though, I'm quite proud with how it came out.

[imgzoom]http://orig06.deviantart.net/ccb2/f/2016/052/2/b/puzzle_piece_by_danvzare-d9skrkn.png[/imgzoom]

The reason for my picture:
The hardest puzzle I've ever played so far in a game, has got to be the squeaky bed puzzle in Day of the Tentacle. This puzzle was so difficult, that it took me several years to figure it out. It took me so long to figure out, that I had solved all of the other puzzles in the game, except the ones which required the solving of that one particular puzzle. And as for those puzzles I couldn't solve, I had already figured out how to solve them, I just couldn't until I got that damn mouse from that damn cat. >:(

It took me years just to figure out how to swap mattresses. And because of that, this is the hardest puzzle I've ever faced in an adventure game and by far the most memorable as well. I am so glad I figured it out on my own and didn't resort to using a walkthrough. Definitely one of my proudest moments. :-D

Oh, and my entire family was stuck on that puzzle, since we were all more or less playing the game, and figuring out puzzles. But I was the one to solve that impossibly difficult puzzle (years after everyone else gave up)!

Tabata

WOW!   

That's really an entry to be proud of (nod) - with good use of the shape
... and it comes together with an interesting story.

Well done, Mister!

Now I have a nostalgic feeling and memories about a poor hamster (used with the microwave) :cool:

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 21/02/2016 14:24:24
But I was the one to solve that impossibly difficult puzzle (years after everyone else gave up)!

This must have garnered massive respect from your family, or extreme worry. Either way (or both), is there a plaque on a wall somewhere in your house? :P

And: great contest entry!

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 21/02/2016 22:21:01
This must have garnered massive respect from your family, or extreme worry. Either way (or both), is there a plaque on a wall somewhere in your house? :P

And: great contest entry!

Nope, no plaque. But I was congratulated. And seeing the ending was reward enough I think.

By the way, thanks you two for the kind words. :-D

AnasAbdin

Danvzare encouraged me to push my mind further. I am trying to come up with something.. :~(
I love the squeaky bed puzzle choice! And the tiny hamster sweater :-D

Mandle

Not so much a puzzle from any particular game as a classic puzzle that has appeared in many games and movies (notably: Labyrinth)

Two doors to choose from: Both will answer any question but one always tells the Truth while the other always answers Falsely, and you don't know which is which: Choosing the correct door leads to freedom. Choosing the wrong door leads to certain death!

[IMGZOOM]http://i67.tinypic.com/2yv31fo.png[/IMGZOOM]

AnasAbdin

This is one of my favorite puzzles in an adventure game. It was the first time I encountered a multiple solution in a classic adventure game. The puzzle itself may not be the hardest, but after years of finishing the game, I learned the other solution which then blew my mind.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/knf7TQd.png[/imgzoom]

Game: Space Quest III

There are two ways to kill Arnoid. Either in the elevator room of World O' Wonders or under the vicious pods hiding in a green rock formation. After he's killed under the pods, you can carefully move near his remains and try to get his invisibility belt using either the Orat on a Stick or the pole you obtain later from Ortega.

Danvzare

Wow, there's some great entries in here now!

Mandle, yours fits the shape perfectly. Really well done. ;-D

And AnasAbdin, I love your use of the EGA palette. Yours was also instantly recognizable as being related to Space Quest (it was mostly the purple ground that gave it away).
Great story too. I love multiple solutions in classic adventure games. Although they're kinda rare.

arj0n

For me, this specific game part went so many times wrong, I still remember it vividly. Which makes it for me one of the hardest game parts.
How many times I fell off that path... hearing that annoying little SFX tune while falling down. Again. :P

[imgzoom]http://dam1976.home.xs4all.nl/AGS/CBall/CBPuzzlePieces_KQ3MountainPathv2_arj0n.png[/imgzoom]

Game: King's Quest III

Cassiebsg

ROFL! (laugh)

jwalt! You almost made me waste the sip of coke I had just taken! (roll)(wrong)(laugh)(laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Tabata

First of all:
We have the honour to be entertained by five cool entries!
Big thanks to my heroes:
  ~ Danvzare ~ Mandle ~ AnasAbdin ~ Arj0n ~ jwalt ~   

Nonetheless time has come for to make some decisions. The best using of the shape, most interesting by idea and style ... Which of the puzzle pieces are your favorite?

VOTING!!!         VOTING!!!         VOTING!!!

Here are all the entries from the candidates:

No 1    [imgzoom]http://orig06.deviantart.net/ccb2/f/2016/052/2/b/puzzle_piece_by_danvzare-d9skrkn.png [/imgzoom] a DOT-piece by Danvzare

No 2    [imgzoom]http://i67.tinypic.com/2yv31fo.png [/imgzoom] a two doors-piece by Mandle

No 3    [imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/knf7TQd.png [/imgzoom] a SpaceQuest III-piece by AnasAbdin

No 4    [imgzoom]http://dam1976.home.xs4all.nl/AGS/CBall/CBPuzzlePieces_KQ3MountainPathv2_arj0n.png [/imgzoom] a King'sQuest III-piece by Arj0n

No 5    [imgzoom]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/jarjar4_zpsnyyln5sv.png [/imgzoom] a Jar Jar Binks-piece by jwalt

" ... choose wisely ... "

Everyone is allowed to vote for his/her favorite entry!
Please vote for the entry that you'd like first, second and third placed and if you like, tell us why you have chosen it.

Gurok

1. jwalt
2. Arj0n
3. Mandle

And umm... a reason for my votes. Oh goodness. I like yellow.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Cassiebsg

1. jwalt (cause it's just perfect and funny!)
2. Mandle (love those doors!)
3. Danvzare (Great puzzle!)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

1: Danvzare (I also got (and still get) stuck on this puzzle for ages. Love the cat's quizzical expression as well)
2: AnasAbdin (I haven't played the game, but the dithering is beautiful in this piece)
3: ArjOn (To be honest, I haven't played the game, and I cannot even really tell what the picture actually is, but it's the only other piece that followed the theme :P )

arj0n

1. AnasAbdin (I love the dithering parts)
2. Danvzare (Day of the Tentacle)
3. jwalt (this one made me laugh)

AnasAbdin

1. Danvzare (Just look at the sprite for heaven's sake)
2. arj0n (one of the hardest puzzles)
3. Mandle (because of the shadow of the 'false' doorknob)

Danvzare

1. Mandle      (I just love how perfectly it fits the shape, and the patterns on it)
2. AnasAbdin   (I like the shading on this, and the way the whole picture comes together)
3. Arj0n      (There were only two choices left, and I preferred this one because it was closer to the theme)

Tabata

Howdy!
Seems to me that there is noone else interested in voting (roll)
So I simply jump in for a vote myself  :wink:

1st  AnasAbdin ~ there is nothing that I can nitpick about ~ the entry satisfies all aspects that was told in the first post, is done in a well fitting style and in a good way of using the shape
2nd  Danvzare ~ for my taste this entrie is a veeery near runner up ~ that cat and how it is fitting in the shape still makes me laughing ~ I am not sure if this is really the first time for the artist ~ but however I'd like to see him more often participating  (nod)
3rd  Mandle ~ even without a reference to a specific game, this entry stands out for me ~ the wonderful on the shape matching idea as well as the great drawing style

and now ...

Thanks a lot for taking part in this puzzeling little competition by creating an entry and/or voting!

Without further ado I proudly announce the winners
and congratulate all my heroes:

Arj0n and  jwalt   who both get a well polished AGS-blue puzzle piece for participating with their nice entries 
  Mandle    who won the glossy bronze puzzle piece for taking the third place                 
  Danvzare    who deserves the shiny silver puzzle piece for reaching the second place 

and  * drumrolls *      

AnasAbdin    who takes home the gleaming golden puzzle piece for winning this little comp     

Big applause for you all
and an extra one for our glorious winner,  AnasAbdin, who will take it over now to host the next coloring ball.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk