BACKGROUND BLITZ - Lucasfilm(arts)/Sierra/etc. secondary characters' universe!

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Tue 05/01/2016 10:14:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

So Mandle gently suggested this idea and I expanded the original concept :

Take any secondary character from a big franchise (In the point n click realm, it would be mostly: Lucasarts, or Sierra, but you can choose anything provided it "speaks" to other people. In the movies realm, it could be a Lucasfilm movie like Star Wars, etc.). Now, imagine what this character's very own personal space would look like: either their room, or their workplace, etc.
You can even skip the character entirely and focus on a secondary set that you think was not put forward enough in the original universe. BUT you must stick with the idea that this is some secondary set that does have something interesting to it, that people would like to know more about, and that reveals something from the original universe.

If you choose to go the "character" way, it could be that you draw the at-home room of a character from Indiana Jones... Imagine what the room the big hulky guy that fights Indy around the flying wing looked like...Or the creepy little Nazi with the round glasses... Or one of the worshipers of Kali... Or wherever Short-Round lived... Or how Nur Ab sal feels at home inside Sophia's necklace... Or how Alain Trottier has already all his kinky accessories ready in his room!

If you choose to go the "secondary set" way, it could be the Star Wars cantina seen from a different angle that reveals something about how Han shot first, or it could be what's going on down the moat of Prince Graham's castle, whatever. Just take an interesting approach!

=====================

The tall red fez of the guy in the picture above will explode on Sunday, Jan. 17th, hence marking the end of the competition (unless someone asks for an extension).

There are several voting categories!

Artistic execution : the drawings that make you envious of their artsy skills, or simply that you find so pretty!
Playability : how well would this background fit in a real-life adventure game? Many interesting clickable areas? Perspective? Clear exits? so on.
Most stimulating secondary set or character: the one that makes you say "Wow, I would have never thought of that set/character, but it's actually so cool!"
That funny detail: When the artist has put some emphasis on an object in the scene, or onto something specific that cracks you up!

==============

PS: before you ask -- I know it's very Indiana Jones-centered, but what can I say, it's my current obsession. But it's not a cheap trick to use it in our Indiana Jones game, as I probably won't enter the competition, or even if I do the background won't fit in our Indy game. So, feel free to draw anything you like, nothing is forced onto you! To you pencils/mouses/tablets! ;-D

Monsieur OUXX

Hey come one guys, wake up! Don't all of you have a favorite character? Mandle, who is yours?

Monsieur OUXX

Thi competition is a train wreck, lol. Should I give it two more weeks?

Mad

I know what you mean!

I really tried entering your competition, since I think the idea is great. But a lack of inspiration and talent, stumped me from doing so.

I'm still on it though, so maybe you'll get something soonish...

Hang in there! ;)

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mad

There you go:
[imgzoom]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab12/Mad1978/Mobile%20Uploads/1453313604826_1.png[/imgzoom]

Very much rushed.

It's just there to entice people to participate, anyway, since I haven't got an idea half as good as yours,  should it come to that!
So, come on folks...

cat

Kumpel

Are you kidding? Now you made it even worse because you nailed this topic! 8-0 8-0 8-0
If I could "rush" like you, what a happy person would I be...

I always wanted to see what indys iceland trip could have been, if the player had more to explore. I mean there gotta be some outpost of atlantis in that cave, right? ^^

Mandle

Quote from: Mad on Wed 20/01/2016 18:36:36
There you go:
[imgzoom]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab12/Mad1978/Mobile%20Uploads/1453313604826_1.png[/imgzoom]

Very much rushed.

It's just there to entice people to participate, anyway, since I haven't got an idea half as good as yours,  should it come to that!
So, come on folks...

Ummmmm....can you provide a tutorial on how to "very much rush" and yet produce a background that is unfaultably in perfect DOTT style???

Mad

Well, first of all thanks for all your flattering comments!

"Rushed" is of course a very strong word for something that took me maybe 2-3h spread over 3 days to make. But that being said, it is a relatively short time for comprehensive background drawing. Right!? I mean, just look at those really insightful background workshop threads...

My BG is very much a product of not so ideal circumstances. I started sketching ideas on my tablet with sketchbook, and as I mentioned in my earlier post, didn't get anywhere fast. I got frustrated,  annoyed with myself,  and let well be... until, as mentioned before,  I thought this great idea deserves some kind of entry.

So, I just finished what I already had on my tablet inbetween working hours and telly ;) relatively "fast"!

And that's where the trouble started... sketchbook, as nice as it is, really only works for high res images. So, as an afterthought,  I cropped and scaled the image down in gimp to resemble the dott ratio, and also limited the colour count to 256.

What you get, when you really look at it, is a blurry mess! Not to mention the sloppy shadows.  Try comparing my BG with an original one side by side, and you'll know what I mean...

As for tutorials,  I'm not very good at them, but a few tips, maybe:
1. Start with the correct resolution, but maybe make your workspace bigger than required,  you can still crop the thing later on
2. Take an original dott background, that fits your purposes best, as reference. Especially,  look for where they put the horizon and vanishing point. Take that as a starting point and work your composition from there.
3. Stick to just a few general colours at the beginning. 3-4 for for each element,  such as walls, furniture etc.
4. Start with rough angular shapes for whatever you're filling the background with. Using an antialised line tool for this and filling the shapes in is a good shortcut.
5. When shading don't be too concerned with realism. Again, use your reference for this.

This is by no means the best and only way to achieve a dott style background, but it has worked for me in the past.

Wow, that was a longwinded post, especially for me. But I thought I owed you a comprehensive answers,  because I really didn't want to come of as flippant with my "rushed" comment and thought I had to explain myself.

Back on topic:
@Kumpel: I'd really like to see that, as well.  So, get going...

Mandle

Quote from: Mad on Fri 22/01/2016 16:47:13
I really didn't want to come of as flippant with my "rushed" comment and thought I had to explain myself.

Oh, I meant no disrespect at all by mentioning the "rushed" comment. I was more giving kudos for being able to "rush" such an awesome background...

Cheers for the tutorial by the way: Some great advice in there!

Mouth for war

Umm...so...is this competition gonna close soon so we can start another or what? :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Cassiebsg

I thought it was already closed and that we were just waiting for Mad to start the new one... 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kumpel

I guess he wouldn't get mad (laugh) if someone else feels obliged to start a new Blitz!

Mad

I never got the go-ahead!

Although, my default setting of being is a constant state of madness, I'd be glad if someone just started a new one!

Ultimately,  it should be ouxx decision,  but since this is declared clinically dead for a while now, someone with a good idea is absolutely entitled to grab it, imho!

Here's looking forward to the next one... :-D

Monsieur OUXX

OK, you need to know this : after noticing that the competition didn't have much success (it was before Mad posted his entry), I thought to myself "I'll give them a few more days" and then completely forgot about it. I visit the forum often, but not this subforum. Woopsie doopsie. I apologize for this.

So, obviously Mad is the winner. Not too difficult since he was the only one BUT his entry is actually really cool, I love it! totally in the spirit of the theme.

So, Mad, it is now your responsibility to host the next one! ;-)
Eagerly waiting.

PS: Your forum avatar always reminds me of a snail.

Mad

Fred Five

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk