AGS team challenge, deadline Monday

Started by , Wed 09/04/2003 19:25:16

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

The deadline is fast approaching, but as the time scale just didn't really work out for anyone, here's how it's going to go.

On Monday, each team must release what they have. If they have nothing, then you automatically (and obviously) dont win :p

Any late entrants (i.e. not posted up on Monday) will also be disqualified. Even if the game is in-complete thats fine, because the time frame for the competition was so small.

In the future, we'll probably make it 3 months and have slightly bigger teams, i.e. 6 members. But for now, it screwed up pretty much :p

So;
> Release what you got on Monday.
> Teh judges will still decide the winner based on content, and all the rest, not on how long the game is or whether it was finished or not.
> After Monday, you can finish your game in your own time and release it when you want, but after Monday any games from this competition may not be entered in future competitions. That's just mean, see!

m0ds

scotch

Bigger teams would be good.. but I think extending the challenge to 3 months just increases the chances of teams failing, I think having a one month comp where only a short game is expected is better.  Like a team MAGS type thing.. me, aga, flippy d and alkaline tried a team hour game, it's lasted about a week and a half so far though :)  But at least we're nearly finihsed because we didn't try something too ambitious.

Scummbuddy

<Scummbuddy walks onto stage.  Stands behind the podeum>

I represent the group known as the SeXerS...
wait, no thats the wrong card,.... Oh here it is.  
Snake Pit Entertainment and the group members:  Jannar, Rorschach, Felipe, Czar, and myself have come to realize that we will not be able to release our game in time that would meet with our satisfaction.  

<Quarreling unjust comes murmuring from the audience>

BUT....we have decided to continue on, even though looking disqualification square in the face, but will release our game when it meets our standards for ourselves, our public, and for that little gamer out there, who just wants to play an engrossing game and come out with a smile, and maybe learn a little too.
<Audience claps and delivers a standing ovation>
<Scumm motions a thanks, but for quiet>

So, we say to our public, do not think lame of us for not fulfilling our game under the constraints set upon us.  Just look forward to the time when our game can be set free for ALL to enjoy.
<Audience begins to clap loudly>
Thank you for your time.
<Scumm walks off stage to enormous clapping that has engulfed the forum>
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Barcik

Bad idea m0ds.

Some games, such as ours, are no good incomplete. You won't understand the whole concept and most of the game's charm gets lost.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

cornjob

Well, Barcik, what should we do? We ought to release something just so people can get a taste of it. If not a demo, then at least some preview info or something. Because I'm pretty sure we're in agreement that our game won't be finished in time.

By the way, re: how it could could be done differently in the future... I agree that a longer period wouldn't be good. It's just a matter of motivation rather than actually running out of time.

m0ds

Okay, then fuck the whole competition :p

"I agree that a longer period wouldn't be good. It's just a matter of motivation rather than actually running out of time."

Well in that case, everyone had plenty of time this time round :p

*angry*

Czar

ME ME!!!
NEW IDEA AHEAD!!1 ::)
Listen , to make this competition more interesting i think like we have 5 teams, we make 5 stories, then like choosing team members we also assing (sp?) stories to a team...
And every new round (every round lasts 1.5 months) we get a "sequel", to be exact continuing of the story, so at the end of the year we'll have 5 whole crazy made games!!!
This way the team members wont have to wory about the story , only the puzzles, and we can make it till the deadline!
Teh yaaay ;D?
Whaddya say? :o
too ambitious?hard?dumb????ANSWER ALREADY!!! ;)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

m0ds

If you want to run it, then why not :p

My only opinion is, there's so many "compeitions" that people don't get much time to work on their own projects! LOL. (And yes, I am being a hypocrit by saying that)

Oh, and assing ... LOL. Adding, did you mean? :)

Czar

lol...didn't even consider what i actually wrote..heh ;D
i meant assign, as assignment, and again, sp?
Oh and err...those were only the suggestions,Mr.Hypocrite,
but i think you're right about the all-are-too busy, but think of this as a training program...
And another idea, why dont we make permanent members, and some reserves, if a permanent member is too busy?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

MillsJROSS

I thought this was great idea m0ds, and it is. However, my experience with the team project isn't so good. Not because of my team mates, more because I thought I had more time then I did, and then I get swamped by real life, and am unable to contribute as much as I probably would like too (I haven't even been on my computer much, and if I am, it's mostly just to write a paper). I still think it still is a good idea, but I think it should perhaps be done as a yearly thing, over the summer, where there isn't as much in the way to keep people from doing contributing.

And If people would rather make a quality game then finish their game at a set date, I'd rather that done. A good game is much better than a half arsed one, in order to win a competition. Put out what you have, yes, but maybe finish what you haven't. I know after I have some free time, I plan on dedicating a good bit of time on mine, until it's done to the teams liking.

-MillsJROSS

-MillsJROSS

m0ds

Mills, yes, I like the per annum idea.

And as for releasing, I strongly agree that the games should be finished, but for the competition and judges sake, something should be released on Monday. But, I'm not forcing anyone.

It just defeats the object of why you started the game, thats all.

m0ds

jannar85

* jannar85 claps for Scumm's speech

Anyway.. Don't give it up, m0ds! I loved it!
Even if not all was able to make it in time, then those who HAS finished their game, can be in for the first winner!11
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

LGM

You. Me. Denny's.

Harvester

Hmmmm, we may have something... We have most of the story/puzzles/art done and Chrille is faster than wind when it comes to programming  :) so... we'll see...
Now, about this whole Team Challenge idea, personally I think it's great. We had enough time to develop our games (I hope no one tried to make another Pleurghburg, or Larry Vales), but I guess most people were adjusting to the team work. And April is pretty much a screwed up month, with all those exams and stuff, but exams are not to blame.
But, why are we bitching already? We will see on Monday how many games are going to be finished in time, and then we can have further analysis.
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

m0ds

Okay, final thing. There is no need for anyone to release your game on Monday. The next team challenge will be in the summer, when deadlines must be met ;) :P

m0ds

AGA

Quote from: Harvester on Sat 12/04/2003 22:18:12I hope no one tried to make another Pleurghburg, or Larry Vales

Oops :p

Alkaline in California

Quote from: Czar on Thu 10/04/2003 17:29:39
ME ME!!!
NEW IDEA AHEAD!!1 ::)
Listen , to make this competition more interesting i think like we have 5 teams, we make 5 stories, then like choosing team members we also assing (sp?) stories to a team...
And every new round (every round lasts 1.5 months) we get a "sequel", to be exact continuing of the story, so at the end of the year we'll have 5 whole crazy made games!!!
This way the team members wont have to wory about the story , only the puzzles, and we can make it till the deadline!
Teh yaaay ;D?
Whaddya say? :o
too ambitious?hard?dumb????ANSWER ALREADY!!! ;)

Don't get what you mean....
5 stories each month, carrying on from where the winner left off?
Sounds confusing...
But a game concept competition, with the winning idea being made by a large team...
that would be cool..

Pet Terry

Hmpf, I came home after hard day at school and waited to see all those games which was made in team challenge... and there was nothing! :P
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

bspeers1000

Team 5 as well has a long term project.

But, since we have resources, we may just have a little something up our sleeves for today.

And I live as far west (almost) as Cornjob, which means, about 8 hours on GMT!

Ha ha! My time is superiorly late to your time! Quake mortals! Hexen in fear!

Now my head will explode as a warning to the rest of yous.

Spoiler

(small noise is heard from western Canada)
[close]

Chrille

We've had a game in the works since the start of the challenge and would easily have been ready by today if everyone but Petteri hadn't been slacking. We should have it ready within the next few days but we havn't decided yet whether we should release a short demo or just a few screenshots. You'll see later tonight :P
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk