Unavowed - Released on August 8th!

Started by Dave Gilbert, Mon 21/03/2016 18:28:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

It's time right now, Mandle. Check the forum where you registered. You should have access to the beta section.

edit: I should have posted this via PM. Sorry for that.

Mandle

OMG!!! I must have read wrong! Sorry! I'm all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich!

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 14/06/2017 15:26:27
Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 14/06/2017 14:11:06
Hey all. I'm at about the 3/4 mark and I've got a new playable build to test out. We're looking to get some fresh eyes on it, so if you are interested in testing let me know. Register on the Wadjet Eye forum and tell me your username and I'll give you access.

I am taking couple of weeks off work soon, is it OK if I will play the game a bit and tell what I found when I am back in July? :)
I think I haven't played an AGS game in many months...

PS. I registered by the same nickname.

Sorry didn't see this! Drop me a line when you're back and I'll give you access then.

edit: Oh I misunderstood. You're taking a few weeks off and want to play the game now? OK! Access dutifully granted!

Mandle

I've been playing the shit out of this game today, and I have about three pages of notes to submit as my first beta tester report, but the game held me playing for too long and now it's past my bedtime by a few hours...

Best sign of a good movie, book, or game though: Kept you up at night because you just had to know what happened next!

I will submit report over the weekend!

Dave Gilbert

Awesome. Don't clutter this thread with feedback/notes and things. Just post them on the WEG forum.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 16/06/2017 17:17:15
Awesome. Don't clutter this thread with feedback/notes and things. Just post them on the WEG forum.
BTW, Dave, have you considered using bug tracker? I am not ready to send you anything yet (probably will start playthrough on weekends), but reading through the thread on your forum was bit overwhelming. It might be tough for you to read all the reports from single thread like that? Or maybe you got used to it :).

Dave Gilbert

I've tried using bug tracking software but it was a faff and a half getting people to actually USE it. Since these are volunteers and not pro testers, we just do it this way. I know it means lots of issues get reported more than once, but since it's just me doing the bug fixing it doesn't bother me.

(although I admit that the thread for the current build is one of the LONGEST in WEG history, so there's that)

Mandle

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 16/06/2017 17:17:15

Yup, understood!

ThreeOhFour

Some fun insight into the dev progress from my side:

I recently have had some free time to work on whatever I think needs polish while Dave is designing the next section, and my efforts in character art study made me feel like the front and back character sprites needed some work. Dave agreed to me editing them, and after several iterations, with input from clever friends, you can see the difference here:

The old ones are pretty funny and bad, really. Designing a character sprite at this resolution, in this "more realistic" style than I cut my teeth on, takes me a really long time. Grundislav was inspired by my first redesign to increase the entire resolution of the sprites in his game, and he's probably been faster at doing that than I have at reworking these. Damn him. :=

Anyway, this represents my personal growth in a year and a half of work and learning in this new resolution, in an area that I'm not very good at. I'm currently reworking hundreds of frames of animations slightly to make these fit in more, but the change feels worth it. It's cool to have the opportunity to spend time learning this stuff, and now I feel less guilty when I work on the next, super secret project that the sprites in Unavowed look so weak in comparison, because I had a year in which to learn how to draw those better. You folks have always seemed to follow my personal growth with interest, so I wanted to show these off so you could see what I've been learning.

For those of you interested in a slightly more comprehensive breakdown and comparison of silhouettes in character design for adventure games, I wrote an article about this over on Adventure Gamers for my A Look at Graphics series.

With all that said, back to the drawing board with me. Literally. :cheesy:
I still haven't learned how to improve my jokes yet, Dave won't let me spend any time on that. I bet it's because he thinks my jokes are REALLY GOOD and he'd be very, very upset if I changed them. : D

Click'd

I REALLY want to play this.

Snarky

Great new sprites, Ben! I was just looking a the This City at Night thread that Darth had to lock: I think it's fair to say your character sprites often used to be rather stiff (even in more recent games like Technobabylon). Not these ones, though! Even though the change is relatively subtle for some of the characters, I think it'll make a big difference to the experience, in terms of making it feel more natural and "real".

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Tue 27/06/2017 06:01:11
I recently have had some free time to work on whatever I think needs polish while Dave is designing the next section, and my efforts in character art study made me feel like the front and back character sprites needed some work. Dave agreed to me editing them, and after several iterations, with input from clever friends, you can see the difference here:

Lol. I recall someone complained on Wadjet Eye forums recently, that everyone is looking like they have same height and male gender :).

Myself I think current walking animation is bit "stiff" (reminds me of your old games).

Dave Gilbert

When we first started, Ben was unfamiliar and less confident with the high-res style so he worked primarily from a template (one for male, one for female). A year and a half into production, I doubt he even uses the template anymore.

ThreeOhFour

Thanks Snarky, and yeah, I agree, you can see me talk more about the stiff postures, including TB, in that article I linked to.

As for template walkcycles (and animations in general), yep, the combination of a couple of new factors to contend with - higher resolution, and the fact that there were 6 main characters who'd be fully animated, meant I had to do something to make a very intimidating project more manageable. I agree that they walk a bit stiffly! I've since sunk some time and study into better 640 res walkcycles, hopefully making some improvements for next time around!

Dave Gilbert

Thunderbolts and lightning very very frightning.

Click'd

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 04/08/2017 14:13:42
Thunderbolts and lightning very very frightning.
I bet your game has neither Galileo nor a figaro.

Dave Gilbert

But it is magnifico.

Click'd

I sure hope so because I'm gonna buy it.

Hobo

Very impressive and atmospheric. Is this the final version or will there be additional wind and character animations?

Dave Gilbert

Official poster art finally revealed!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk