Unavowed - Released on August 8th!

Started by Dave Gilbert, Mon 21/03/2016 18:28:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Mon 18/09/2017 18:22:32
Devstream #4!

Randomly clicking onto middle of the video, watching how character is tying a red ribbon between two objects. Remembering a puzzle from intro scene where you have to do similar thing to a wire.
Is this a game about connecting things together? :D

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 20/09/2017 12:58:26
Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Mon 18/09/2017 18:22:32
Devstream #4!

Randomly clicking onto middle of the video, watching how character is tying a red ribbon between two objects. Remembering a puzzle from intro scene where you have to do similar thing to a wire.
Is this a game about connecting things together? :D

In the sense that MOST adventure games are about putting objects together, yes! 8-)

Dave Gilbert

We've been fiddling around with some establishing shots.

Snarky

Slick as hell! I love the classic-animation multi-plane tricks you're doing to fake camera tilts and crane (mainly in the first and particularly the last shot). I also think making the windows in the skyscrapers slightly irregular rather than aligned in a perfect grid helps the move read much more clearly. Nice job! If you add a bit of animation (the flames/flickering, the ghosts, maybe some slight spin to the clouds), this will be close to movie-level quality.

The nitpicker in me can't help but point out that in the first animation, the rain should be in perspective with the buildings, "star-fielding" out from the point of convergence.

paolo

This looks nothing short of stunning. I don't know how Ben manages to outdo himself with every new game. His work is so beautiful it makes me want to cry :-D

selmiak

Awesome stuff. I can't stop staring at that subway train running over me again and again like the animal blinded by the light! 8-0

eri0o

Hey Dave! Lovely art! This is beautiful. I love this!

I have some minor things I noticed, since they will be shown only once and quick in the game, they are very minor and probably a bad return on investment to pursue. But still, thought would mention.

The first shot, the rain though looks a bit wrong? This is a quick reverse close-up from Singing in the Rain (around 1:42). In the gif the rain is falling from up to down, but from the angle the rain looks to be going horizontal, instead the drops should falling in front of the camera.

I love the train and the dude meditating.

On the last shot, I don't know how you are doing the panning, but in the gif the movement doesn't look smooth. If the game is 60fps and you are tweening y position of the objects/GUIs it will probably look smooth, but in the gif it doesn't look smooth.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: eri0o on Tue 24/10/2017 23:14:39
On the last shot, I don't know how you are doing the panning, but in the gif the movement doesn't look smooth. If the game is 60fps and you are tweening y position of the objects/GUIs it will probably look smooth, but in the gif it doesn't look smooth.

GIF compression is, sadly, a thing.

Riaise

These are so stunning! I can't wait to see them in-game! ;-D

AndyfromVA

Need to start playing this game.  Tell me it's coming soon!

SilverSpook

Great shots! I'm a big fan of tall skyscrapers against ominous, dark, red sky. :)  The subway train collision is also very cool.

selmiak

how would you implement these fullscreen animations into the game? Do you render out a movie (which codec? ogv? avi? where is mp4 support?) and play it in AGS when the time has come or do you render out single png frames and play a full screen animation frame by frame?
frame by frame loses less datails but maybe makes the game stutter just because it has to update the whole screen like 24 or 12 times a second. the codecs in videos allow for p- and b- frames that make displaying and updating the whole screen faster and less resource intensive. Which is the best way to go in AGS?

Blondbraid

Wow, those establishing shots are breathtaking!

Dave Gilbert

Just posted this one to Twitter for #screenshotsaturday. I'll post it here, too!

CyberUncleCat

This is actually nice, but it could look a lot better with some aditional little animations like water dripping from mans hair, fingers and streaming down his face.

But its good in this form too:).

Cassiebsg

Creepy awesome! 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

The ripples in the water looks fantastic!

Riaise

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 29/10/2017 12:43:33
The ripples in the water looks fantastic!

Completely agree with this. The ripples are amazing! 8-0

Dave Gilbert

My AdventureX talk is up! I talk about Unavowed somewhat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaNYwDJRHi0

And if you're not totally sick of watching me talk, Adventure Corner did an interview with me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gOF0t7BOZM

KyriakosCH

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk