Rabbit Hill

Started by Two Tales, Mon 28/03/2016 15:52:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Tales

A couple, bored of the same summer drive to visit their family, decide to take a detour through the countryside where they are involved in an unfortunate accident.
While walking to find help they stumble upon Rabbit hill. A small fictional Hamlet located deep in the heart of the Sussex countryside in England.

https://www.youtube.com/v/ctAZrPSSCQE

A slow paced, atmospheric horror game.
                                   640x400 resolution.
                                   Pixelated graphics style.
                                   Over 150 individual sound effects.

Download via the AGS database (Mediafire): http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2033/

NickyNyce

Just what I was looking for. Congrats on the release, it looks and sounds great.

CaptainD

Grats on the release, this looks pretty impressive and I may just have to play it despite not being into horror at all...

(I particularly like your use of many SFX :grin:)

CaptainD

Gah double-posted accidentally, can't seem to delete this thing now :-[

Stupot

Congrats on finishing this. I can't wait to play it :-)

Mandle

Yippee!!! Another game I've been waiting for gets released! My afternoon is looking better and better!

EDIT:

I just finished the game...

It took me about 3 hours for your potential "time to complete" data, and also as a bit of bragging on my part, as the game is quite hard...

And I must say that the game is complete and utter MAGIC!!!

I have no nags whatsoever!!! Which is a pretty rare thing for me!

I can see where some people might have nags about certain stuff like:

(SPOILER ALERT!!!)
Spoiler
Revisting old locations for new results(Screw modern games where this is frowned upon...this factor is key in good old adventure gaming)...signposting goals (Nice game device there with the wallet photo to display goals...Easter egg goal interface FTW!!!)...Unexplained locked off areas (I actually liked that you did that with a simple mouse-over icon instead of having to click and get the "I have no reason to go there yet" response)...And also some of the puzzles were quite hard (EMF meter is my complete fave!!!) but after I solved them I always felt them to have been hard but fair...I never felt "that was BS!!!" and always felt that great feeling of having tackled and solved a good adventure game puzzle!
[close]

The exposition is done perfectly concerning the trouble that occured at Rabbit Hill and I could totally understand:

(MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!!! DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GAME!!!)
Spoiler
Jack White's story and his ironic stumbling upon a real supernatural event after faking them for so long, and eventually getting busted as a con-man in the tabloids...GREAT BACKSTORY right there done beautifully on the side via unobtrusive documents/computer files...I really felt bad for him when I found his body...:~(...
[close]

I encountered no glitches during the game (very well done there)

I loved the ending as it:

(EXTREME MAJOR SPOILER ALERT...DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GAME!!!)
Spoiler
Opens up the sequel possibilities and leaves the audience hanging("The Ninth Gate" movie comes to mind)...I'm guessing the sequel is to be the wife searching for the lost (and possibly possessed) husband?
[close]

I also love the total carnage along the way...

I already know one of the games I'm nominating for "Best Game" in the 2016 AGS awards...

Two Tales

NickyNyce, CaptainD & Stupot+: Thank you for your kind comments.
Mandle: I was a little apprehensive after release because you never know how people are going to respond to it. So knowing that even one person thoroughly enjoyed it has made it all worthwhile. Thank you ever so much.

shaun9991

Excellent! Congratulations on finishing it :) Downloading now, been looking forward to it!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Mandle

Quote from: Two Tales on Tue 29/03/2016 09:02:45
Thank you ever so much.

And thank you sir ten times over for such a great gaming experience on a rough day right when I needed it the most!

Shadow1000

Drat....Mandle beat me to finishing and commenting! I was playing till after midnight and was going to comment in the morning.

Overall, this game is exceptional.

Here's what I liked:

- The areas that I use to rate any game really shine in this one:
- The plot is excellent. The story is captivating and unfolds at a perfect rate with the game. The fact that the backstory unfolds as well just draws the player into the game even further.
- The atmosphere is CREEPY. All attempts to make a haunted and supernatural environment are successful.
- The interface is really good. Creating the tools you need to solve the game
Spoiler
such as the cell phone,EMF reader and flower guide
[close]
are a great touch and add to the overall polish of the game.
- I LOVE exploring! Many recent releases have good stories and puzzles but this one adds the fact that you explore the world. The photograph-turned room backgrounds worked really well. Every part of the game world just flowed perfectly. I have no beef with the fact that certain parts of the world were accessible only after certain tasks were complete. Something a lot of game designers overlook where the world requires substantial walking is the speed of the character. I either have to set the walk speed to the highest OR, where that's not available to the player, just get bored and frustrated when the player is walking at a snail's pace. The pacing in this game was just perfect. I think that the exploring the world aspect may be one of the strongest components of this game that made me love it.
- I really liked the puzzles (see below, however). They were logical and just at the difficulty level where the game progressed without getting stuck or frustrated and there were enough puzzles that required enough stopping and thinking that the game did not progress too fast. This is one of the most tricky parts of designing puzzle because making them too hard or too easy will either frustrate a player OR make the game flow so fast that it's not much of a game.
- Just too add: I liked the mini arcade sequence! That was fun :)

Complaint time:

- I was able to complete 90% the game without resorting to the walkthrough. I did have to use the walkthrough 3 times, though. I realize that's what it's for BUT I do want to express what I feel were weaknesses in this otherwise excellent game. Of course the fact that I got stuck on a puzzle doesn't mean that the puzzle is flawed but I do think that as a game author it's important to know how players interact with the game.

Please do not read this section unless you've completed the game. I will try to be as vague as possible.
- The first time I got stuck was because of a navigation problem
Spoiler
I did not realize that there was another room in the toilet. If you move the cursor around the entrance room of the toilet you will see the "Exit" notification pop up as you hover over different areas but most of them lead back outside. I didn't realize that the "Exit" hotspot to the inside of the bathroom was different than the others.
[close]
- The second puzzle that I got stuck on was of the type that you have to do a certain action a certain number of times to trigger progress, especially if you don't know that doing the repeated action is actually doing something!
Spoiler
I naturally kept trying to use the cellphone in different locations trying to get reception. But I didn't have any knowledge that you have to use it a specified number of times for something to happen. Ideally there should have been some indication. Happens to be that I was only off by one use!
[close]
. I don't want to specify but the next thing you have to do to proceed seems kind of arbitrary.
- I don't think I would have ever solved the
Spoiler
EMF meter
[close]
puzzle on my own. You really have to step on an exact spot while moving the cursor around the room. I would have preferred that when you step on the spot that something happens to notify you. Mandle liked this puzzle so I won't complain too much!
- Not meaning to pick too much but a few grammar and spelling improvements might give it a bit more polish. You mean "must have" rather than "must of". I saw "loose" when I think "lose" was intended and POSSIBLY "proove" for "prove"

Anyway, overall this game really stands out in every important area. Congratulations on achieving the result after so much hard work.

SHADOW

Two Tales

Quote from: shaun9991 on Tue 29/03/2016 10:05:49
Excellent! Congratulations on finishing it :) Downloading now, been looking forward to it!
Thanks Shaun :smiley:

Shadow1000: Thank you for such informative feedback. Regarding your first point in the complaint time section (SPOILER ALERT!):
Spoiler
While I was watching someone playtesting it, they had the same problem with exits in the toilet. I should of had alarm bells ringing then, instead of thinking it was just that person missing the obvious.
[close]
(POSSIBLE SPOILER!):
Spoiler
Also regarding 'the thing' you had to do a certain number of times to trigger progress: I fully intended to reduce the amount of times you had to do it by one before release but I totally forgot about it until you reminded me here...darn it! Also the fact that you missed it by one backs up exactly what I had thought.
[close]
Thank you so much for taking the time to play it and for the positive and helpful feedback.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Two Tales on Tue 29/03/2016 20:24:45
Shadow1000: Thank you for such informative feedback. Regarding your first point in the complaint time section (SPOILER ALERT!):
Spoiler
While I was watching someone playtesting it, they had the same problem with exits in the toilet. I should of had alarm bells ringing then, instead of thinking it was just that person missing the obvious.
[close]
(POSSIBLE SPOILER!):
Spoiler
Also regarding 'the thing' you had to do a certain number of times to trigger progress: I fully intended to reduce the amount of times you had to do it by one before release but I totally forgot about it until you reminded me here...darn it! Also the fact that you missed it by one backs up exactly what I had thought.
[close]

I don't know if the issue is the number of times that you have to do it so much as the fact that you have to do something repeatedly not being aware that each time you do it you are getting closer to the goal. I don't know what a better way to implement this would be.
Spoiler
For example, if he would say after the third attempt "oh damn, battery's running low. I better be careful", that would notify the player that using the phone is draining the battery. BUT that would backfire at least for me, because I would probably stop using it until I knew that I'd have reception or that I could recharge it if necessary
[close]

SHADOW

Athanor

Hey,
Congratulations to your release! I absolutely adore the beauty of your game. Sound effects and graphics are very, very impressive. I've only started the game for some minutes now. Are you perchance inspired by "Barrow Hill"? I ask because there are many things remembering me to Barrow Hill -

Spoiler

Some similarities that came to mind:
- Rabbit Hill / Barrow Hill
- Car accident / car broke down in rural british landscape, cellphone connection is lost
- Gas station with adjacent Motel in wood (in fact when I saw the wonderful scene where you see the gas station the first time, I immediately thought at the same scene in Barrow Hill as it looks similar)
- Nobody in gas station except for a crazy guy who locked himself in a room because of "it"
- Details like readable leaflets, left notes by disappeared people etc.
[close]
That's no bad thing, as Barrow Hill is one of my secret favourites. ;)

I can't wait to dive into the atmosphere of Rabbit Hill this evening after work.

Two Tales

Hi Athanor. I was inspired to make this game by many factors. Inspiration, ideas and influences include movies like Dead end, Wrong turn & Alfred Hitchcock's The birds. Also Midsomer murders. Games like Vorago and Barrow hill. The british rural landscape was chosen because that's where I live so I didn't have to travel far for photography to do the backgrounds. The similarity between the title Barrow hill and Rabbit hill is complete coincidence. Rabbit hill is a title I've had in mind for a number of years. The history surrounding Rabbit hill was inspired by folklaw of Saxonbury tower (local to me) and formed both the story and backstory from my imagination. Check out the credits in game for more information.
Thank you for showing an interest in the game.

MUFFINinc

Just played it, very clever game, I really enjoyed.  I was actually a bit disappointed at the length, I think I could have stayed in that world a bit longer.  The atmosphere was perfect for a horror game.  The sound design was very rich and really brought the world to life, it also added heavily to the tension.  I never really felt "at ease" while playing this, I always felt like something was going to jump out at me.

Spoiler
The fact that several things actually did jump out helped the mood a lot too; the classic something jumps out, "oh, it's just a cat" trick was a good addition.  Also, the fact that you are constantly coming across dead bodies helps keep the player on their toes.
[close]

You have clearly spent a lot of time watching horror movies.  This game does everything a good horror movie is supposed to do; it keeps you walking on eggshells through the whole thing, constantly tense and bracing yourself for some kind of horrible surprise on the next screen.

Spoiler
I was legitimately apprehensive going into places like the Tower and the treacle mine.  Also, what exactly is treacle, anyway?  That's been bugging me.  Anyway, good job with atmosphere and mood.
[close]

The graphic style was interesting too.  The technique of compositing photographs of actual locations and videos of people to create the art as opposed to drawings or CGI reminds me a little of Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within (I think your composited environments were actually better done; as much as I liked that game some of the art in Beast Within was cringe-inducing).  There were a couple of places
Spoiler
the farm and the exterior of the tower, as well as a couple places in the woods
[close]
where it was kind of easy to tell that the photographs had been taken at a different time of day than what the game is made to look like.  Still, the overall result was pretty good.

Puzzle design was also good.  Puzzles were all challenging, but not unreasonably strange or hard to figure out without applying some simple logic. 
Spoiler
The only place where I got stuck and had to check the walkthrough was the bit about recharging the cell phone.
[close]
I like games that create puzzles out of the environment and the character's objective, rather than the whole "put the party hat on the weasel and set it loose in the air duct in order to get the alarm clock" kind of shtick that gets a little tedious sometimes in adventure games.

Also, I did find one minor error:

Spoiler
The meter works fine in the screens preceding the tower, but once you get to the actual tower itself and the meter gets automatically put away, the needle is all the way back at zero if you take the meter out again on the screen where you're standing outside the tower.  Haven't tried it inside the tower but I rather expect it's the same thing.  Very minor continuity thing.
[close]

All told, great game!  Had fun playing it, I will have to check out your other titles.

Stupot

I'm just about to play this.

Played it and enjoyed it a lot. Very Spooky. Nice atmosphere and great to see East Sussex being represented in an AGS game.

I had to check the walkthrough twice:
Spoiler
* Phone recharge - As others have mentioned, this was a tad unfair to me, but not the end of the world. The thing I have a complaint about though is that I had already tried to talk to Dan after hearing the answer machine message telling him to turn the radio down, but the posibility to have this conversation wasn't triggered until I had put the mobile phone in the docking station.
* EMF puzzle - This was a good puzzle and I would have solved it myself if I hadn't stupidly fixated on the idea that the 'vegetation' on the next screen was where the pathway would be. I thought I needed to find something to cut the stingy nettles away.
[close]

Any plans for a sequel?

----
Do you know that you have two entries in the database for this game? (/2033 and /2034)
Considering the link you give on this page is for /2033, can we assume that /2034 was made by mistake and can be deleted?

Two Tales

Thanks for the kind comments and info MUFFINinc & Stupot+.

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 06/04/2016 03:21:59
Any plans for a sequel?
I'm still contemplating the idea. I can certainly improve on it with the information and feedback I have received here. Just need to think about improvements in other areas rather than just a continuing or fresh story.

Do you know that you have two entries in the database for this game? (/2033 and /2034)
Considering the link you give on this page is for /2033, can we assume that /2034 was made by mistake and can be deleted?
Yeh, I don't know why it created two database entries. /2034 can be deleted.

Shadow1000

I had to check the walkthrough twice:
Spoiler
* Phone recharge - As others have mentioned, this was a tad unfair to me, but not the end of the world. The thing I have a complaint about though is that I had already tried to talk to Dan after hearing the answer machine message telling him to turn the radio down, but the posibility to have this conversation wasn't triggered until I had put the mobile phone in the docking station.
* EMF puzzle - This was a good puzzle and I would have solved it myself if I hadn't stupidly fixated on the idea that the 'vegetation' on the next screen was where the pathway would be. I thought I needed to find something to cut the stingy nettles away.
[close]

Actually that was exactly my experience too! I thought that was the spot with the highest reading as well but I didn't know what to do there!

SHADOW

mkennedy

Unfortunately the arcade sequence was too difficult for me to get past so that was as far as I got.

Spoiler
After the cop shows up and gets killed by the birds and then the birds attack me I wasn't able to shoot the birds before they would hit me. I would almost always miss and always wound up getting killed in the end. Does anybody have any tips for surviving? Exactly how many birds do I need to kill?
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: mkennedy on Fri 08/04/2016 03:37:56
Unfortunately the arcade sequence was too difficult for me to get past so that was as far as I got.

Spoiler
After the cop shows up and gets killed by the birds and then the birds attack me I wasn't able to shoot the birds before they would hit me. I would almost always miss and always wound up getting killed in the end. Does anybody have any tips for surviving? Exactly how many birds do I need to kill?
[close]

I think you can miss 2-3 times and that's about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk