MAGS April "Natural Disasters" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/04/2016 08:17:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Miez

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 04/05/2016 01:52:24
I'm still hoping to play 'Eruption' one day though.  I was even halfway up a volcano this time yesterday :-)

Well, to be fairly honest: there was never any substance to Eruption! It was all just a bit of a laugh really ;)
There was so little substance to it that I didn't even make any of those screenshots... let's take a look, ok?

this started out as an anonymous picture that I got from a Google search for "volcano" and "16 bit". I'd like to attribute it to someone but I was never able to find the original creator:

Flipped it, extended it to 640x360, added a cheesy title and a couple of fake buttons. Done!

This "in game" shot:

Started out as a lo-res picture of the map for Rust and some random scientist (sorry, random scientist):

Convert to 640x360, add some hoohah and nonsense in Photoshop and you're done.

The final "VR" shot:

Was a Google Earth picture of Mount Fuji, a Google search for "flaming sky", a bit of simulated smoke, some dragon outlines and some screenshots from Hunter - an ancient Amiga game:

So yeah, nothing about Eruption! was ever real. It was fun to do in between all the cupcakes and butter cream though! :-D

Mandle

Hahahaha!

So one more question:

Whose diary page is this with the 14-year-old girl talking about giving the necklace to her boyfriend in the '90's?

Spoiler
[close]

Danvzare

Wow, I'll be honest. You did a damn good job at fooling everyone. :-D

Also, the way you managed to fake all of those screenshots with the minimal of effort is very impressive.
I'd still like to see it turned into a game though. Of course without the whole VR stuff... and probably without the 3D models as well... and the animating lava... ok, so there was nothing to turn into a game. But still, it sounded interesting! :~(

Miez

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 05/05/2016 01:01:18
Hahahaha!

So one more question:

Whose diary page is this with the 14-year-old girl talking about giving the necklace to her boyfriend in the '90's?

Spoiler
[close]

I really don't know! I needed some inspiration for the volcano-catapult minigame GUI and I thought that Toffee might be the kind of person to have a pink diary or notebook at hand.

Mandle

Quote from: Miez on Thu 05/05/2016 14:08:12
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 05/05/2016 01:01:18
Hahahaha!

So one more question:

Spoiler
[close]

I really don't know! I needed some inspiration for the volcano-catapult minigame GUI and I thought that Toffee might be the kind of person to have a pink diary or notebook at hand.

Aw...I was kinda hoping it was cat's...Of course it was unlikely that cat was keeping a diary in english when she was a child, but I thought maybe she was doing it for practice...

Oh well...I worked way too much on Harry Caine yesterday, late into the night, and now I have to go to work...YAWN!

(Of course, I'm not entering any new work on the game into this MAGS)

cat

Hahaha, no, it is not my diary.

Just tried the Harry Caine demo - the voice acting and flying things are hilarious! Also the scrolling scene and changing weather conditions are impressive. Is there already some interaction in this version? Anyway, I'm looking forward to the full game!

Shadow1000

Quote from: cat on Sat 07/05/2016 22:15:26
Hahaha, no, it is not my diary.

Just tried the Harry Caine demo - the voice acting and flying things are hilarious! Also the scrolling scene and changing weather conditions are impressive. Is there already some interaction in this version? Anyway, I'm looking forward to the full game!

I played through it a few times and I was able to grab a barrel and sometimes other items. I thought that he was going to use the barrel for some much-needed cover :shocked: but wasn't able to do anything with it. Funny, because the NEXT time I played I wasn't able to snag any of the flying objects. Not sure what's with that...

SHADOW

Mandle

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 09/05/2016 15:19:50
Funny, because the NEXT time I played I wasn't able to snag any of the flying objects. Not sure what's with that...

In the post-MAGS version (so far) I've changed the grabbing mechanism so it doesn't depend on pixel-perfect clicks. The eels were almost impossible to grab as they are thin and wriggle around so much (realistic I suppose but too frustrating, and the challenge of the game is not supposed to be grabbing stuff)...It's now quite easy to grab whatever you want.

Stupot

Two-and a bit days leftvfor voting. Any more for any more?
This is as much to remind myself as anyone else :-)

Update:
I just played both entries. Toffee Trouble was superb, and I've posted in the CGA board.
Harry Caine made me laugh a lot. I was so entranced storm gradually getting worse (and by the "eel") that I ran the game right through until the storm literally stopped. Looking forward to the finished version :-D

Miez

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 15/05/2016 15:40:43
Toffee Trouble was superb, and I've posted in the CGA board.

Thanks! :)

Stupot

Voting has finished and the winner is:

• ERUPTION! by Cat and Miez
Oh, I mean Toffee Trouble in Creamville

Well done Cat and Miez. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for June.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Miez

Yay! ;-D

I thought the theme could be interpreted in many different ways, so I expected to see some more entries. Ah well, too bad. At least Harry Caine and Toffee Bakewell weren't a total disaster ;)

cat

Wheeeee! I'm super happy! :-D
I thought it was a great topic for MAGS.

Harry Caine made me laugh a lot. I was so entranced storm gradually getting worse (and by the "eel") that I ran the game right through until the storm literally stopped. Looking forward to the finished version :-D
Me too :-)

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Wed 18/05/2016 11:59:48
Me too :-)

As am I...

I plugged about 5 hours into developing the game today...

The storm no longer just "stops" as Stupot said above...

It now goes on forever (Jesus...seamless scrolling background are a bitch), and also the "Airvitnory" concept I came up with for gameplay is coming along...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk