Ghostdream

Started by Ark, Wed 13/04/2016 01:54:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Ark

(The first logo. I'll probably make a (different) final version later.

STORY (Act I Prologue text)

"When you die, you normally have only one simple wish - to return and tell them - "Hey, guys - it's OK! No need to feel sad! Cause you know what? It's actually OK on both sides, really." But returning is not easy - the only way would be dreams - "half-dreams" - "ghost-dreams". The problematic part is if you get stuck - you turn into a demon. Hard to say what exactly it is, but we presume it's a painful and useless existence. Better to avoid doing this, really.

My personal "problematic part" is that I am already stuck here. No idea how I'll get out this time..."

(The very first "cover art". I know it's unnecessary at this point but it helps me getting in the mood.

STORY (Description)

On his journey to the "other side" Reader (and his "natural companion" Writer) meets various Ghosts and Demons, beings known as Gods and other side of himself even. He also meets Singer, who is neither Ghost, nor Demon (you can see her on the cover and logo). At some point she becomes a little bit more important than the "other side" to Reader. Realizing this won't stop him though.

The world of Ghostdream should be scary, but it is not - it is just dark. The story should be sad since all the characters are more or less dead, but it is not, because they normally remember nothing, except some minor detail or two (for example Reader remembers himself reading a book - this is why they call him Reader. It is his only memory after all).

Overall Ghostdream is a retro-style Point'n'Click Adventure game with puzzles, exploration and story.

IN PROGRESS SCREENSHOTS

(The very first room in the game.

(My favorite room so far.

(Silent character type, who turns out to be super important closer to the very end of the story.

Ghosts are blue, demons are yellow.

(Dialogue options

(Actual Dialogue

(Ghostbook!

(Puzzle!

(The cave.

(The town.

(Demonic portal eggs :)

(Dark world...

(Tramway!

(Tramway meets God in an outer space.

PLANNED FEATURES/STATS:
About 50-55 locations (+puzzle screens)
About 12-15 characters
About 10-20 optional "mini secret ghosts" (will be used as achievements probably)
8 Major puzzles (more or less like Myst series: no items required, exploration of the whole accessible area is a must) + standard adventure thing (like get here, talk there, press this, press that...)
Resolution: 640X400
(Later I'll update this section to something more precise)

OVERALL PROGRESS STATS:
In progress for: 5 -full- months. [Started at: 2016.03.23  21:36]
Estimated release date: September 2016.

CREDITS:
Myself: Graphics, Music, Story, Coding, Acting, Coffee machine operating.

Big thanks to the creators of AGS. Still can't believe you're working on this for free! Absolute respect!
Big thanks to the forum - you give me all the answers, before I even ask. 

PLAN:
1.Make a short demo! --DONE|
2. Hire actors! (Postponed -- financial difficulties)
3. Concentrate on the backgrounds (since this part will take the longest time to make (all backgrounds are animated)) (Postponed -- monotonous)
4. Concentrate on the story the same period as (3). Doing both should take about 1.5 month total. (Postponed -- monotonous)
5. Finish Act I and may be update the demo. --DONE|
6. Switch to "Do everything at the same time" plan and finish act 1 and 2. --DONE!|
7. Add some extra scenes - make the first trailer. Done! --DONE!|
8. Switch back to backgrounds and story. ((Also may be it's a good time to start drawing comics for the art-book... (Postponed -- I have a better idea for the art-book now)
9. Act 3 (the biggest, the longest...) --DONE!|
10. I got to finish the story...  --DONE!|
11. Finish all the backgrounds --DONE!|
12. All character animations --DONE!|
13. Act 4 --DONE!|
14. Act 5 -- DONE!|
15. Started IndieGoGo campaign -- more or less a disaster||
16. Kickstarter campaign -- slightly better, but still a fail||
17. Act 6,7 -- DONE!|
18. Full soundtrack -- DONE!|
19. Speech and remaining SFX -- in progress...
Z-3. Get the game to Steam/GOG/etc... (I hope it won't be a problem)
Z-2. Prepare the extras - OST+, Trailers, Art Book, Manual, etc...
Z-1. Test like mad and release the game on 2016.09.xx!
Z. Ritual achievement dance :D

DEMO 01:
I doubt I'll be doing any serious changes to that introductory part of the game. The puzzle must be very simple I believe (and it is). It shouldn't be very crowded here (and it is not). The only thing I will probably change is the music - that song will fit much better for the Town, and this episode needs something slower and calmer. Also, I still need to add the sound effects like "button click". As always I'll leave this part for the very end. May be I'll add some small animations here and there too.

I'll update the demo when I'll get the speech done... in one way or the other.

THE LINKS:
Ghostdream DEMO O1

Ghostdream DEMO 02   

oareaso

Very cool atmosphere and nice artstyle! :cheesy:

Stupot

Gorgeous-looking stuff. Keep up the good work :-)

luisdementia

Man, this looks amazing. Loving the art, the story looks really good. Can't wait to play the game!

Blondbraid

This looks really, really beautiful! You wouldn't happen to be a fan of Zdzislaw Beksinski? :)

Danvzare

Really nice artwork, and very interesting premise.
I'll be keeping my eye on this one. :-D

Khris

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but it pains me to see that beautiful art ruined by JPG and the window border.
Please consider changing those screenshots to properly cropped PNGs.

shaun9991

Lovely art! Best of luck with it :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Ark

Thank you for your kind words, people! ;-D I'm happy you like it. 

QuoteYou wouldn't happen to be a fan of Zdzislaw Beksinski?
Yes, naturally :) . I'm surprised how often people ask me that. Even though Ghostdream is mostly blueish (and Beksinski is mostly yellow/red) you can still tell :-D

QuoteI know I'm sounding like a broken record, but it pains me to see that beautiful art ruined by JPG and the window border.
Please consider changing those screenshots to properly cropped PNGs.
After reading the forum rules I had the impression it's important to show that the screenshots are made on AGS and not something else. I plan to update the screenshots section about once in a month - next time I'll use "F12" :) .

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Ark on Wed 13/04/2016 22:26:15After reading the forum rules...
You are now my new favorite GiP author!

The screenshots simply have to appear as they would in-game but don't actually have to show AGS frames/borders! I applaud the literal approach to the forum rules though! /end moderation

I think the game sounds quite interesting and, visually, looks quite unique.

Good luck with the production!

Danvzare

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 14/04/2016 00:12:18
If I'm not mistake, he's the only person who has ever read the forum rules before starting a new thread.
I'm legitimately impressed. 8-0

Ark

QuoteYou are now my new favorite GiP author!
(laugh)

QuoteI think the game sounds quite interesting and, visually, looks quite unique.

Good luck with the production!
Thank you! :)

QuoteIf I'm not mistake, he's the only person who has ever read the forum rules before starting a new thread.
And I've actually enjoyed reading it. :-D

Kumpel

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 14/04/2016 00:12:18

Hey wait! I did that too before posting my GiP thread! (wtf)
I can't remember you praising me for that! 8-0

:=

B2T:

I too love that really original visual style. These ghost figures look totally weird and interesting. Good luck with such a great project!
The only thing looking odd is the font. Maybe you can find something more fitting.  prettier fonts in 640x480 shoudn't be a problem I think.

Ark

QuoteI too love that really original visual style. These ghost figures look totally weird and interesting. Good luck with such a great project!
The only thing looking odd is the font. Maybe you can find something more fitting.  prettier fonts in 640x480 shoudn't be a problem I think.
Thank you! :) I like the font because it looks "retro" - it reminds me of all my favorite adventure games, so I always have some good memories while working on it. I'll try several other fonts when the game will be finished.

Ark

This month was super active for me. Changed my plan a little to "do everything at the same time" and as the result I think I have about 35% of the game done. Yay. Getting to the dead-line with a finished game and all the extras seems much more realistic now. But the main achievement of the month is the very first WIP trailer of Ghostdream. Here it is:
Ghostdream WIP Trailer

I can't say I'm absolutely happy with it - also the video quality on Youtube is somehow lower than the actual video's on my PC - but as an early work-in-progress trailer it would do.

Switching back to "backgrounds and story" this month, since "do everything at the same time" can be extremely exhausting. And naturally I need a day or two of well deserved "drink beer, do nothing" program (nod) .

//
SOME ARTS:

(I'll make some scenes in a similar style.

(Organ Grinder. Just a tiny element of horror :)

Cassiebsg

For horror, those are extremely pleasing artist pieces! I must be disturbed somehow. (laugh)

Lovely trailer, the only thing I can point out, that might worry me at this point, it the character seems to "walk" too slow. Otherwise, really lovely!
Good job! (nod)

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

luisdementia

This looks beautiful. Good luck. I hope those amazing backgrounds are included in the extras :)

Blondbraid

Such beauty! Wonderful atmosphere and unique art-style, the swirling strips of fabric in the characters clothes in the last pic reminds me of Alfons Mucha.
You can really tell from a single glance that a lot of passion and effort were put into these images!

Ark

QuoteFor horror, those are extremely pleasing artist pieces! I must be disturbed somehow.
No, there won't be anything disturbing for sure, not a single drop of blood, but there might be one or two scary looking characters and rooms. My original intention was to make it totally "family-friendly", but now I think I shouldn't limit the style too much - it will be nice to have a more or less Giger-style location in it for some variety :)

QuoteLovely trailer, the only thing I can point out, that might worry me at this point, it the character seems to "walk" too slow. Otherwise, really lovely!
Thank you! I think this walking speed would become a problem in a lot of adventure games, but this one is mostly linear, with no back-tracking possible and no items to find in one corner of the world and use it in another. There will be 2 big locations though, but in these you play in a first person view and can go from one room to another in an instant.

QuoteThis looks beautiful. Good luck. I hope those amazing backgrounds are included in the extras
Thank you! Not a single pixel wasted is my idea :) . Surprisingly GD becomes quite big and it continues to grow.

QuoteSuch beauty! Wonderful atmosphere and unique art-style, the swirling strips of fabric in the characters clothes in the last pic reminds me of Alfons Mucha.
You can really tell from a single glance that a lot of passion and effort were put into these images!
Thank you! Alfons Mucha is a God - I'm very glad to have even a little of his style in my work :) .

Fitz

That trailer was gorgeous! The first thought: a little bit of Beksinski there (whose art I always considered absolutely magnetic, and beautiful in its own dark way).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk