Old Woman Beardychin and the Scruffedy Bumtious - Released

Started by Riaise, Fri 15/04/2016 16:20:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Riaise

Story:
Old Woman Beardychin, a mature lady with inconvenient facial hair, is quite content to follow the same routine day after day, when suddenly her life is turned upside down by the arrival, and subsequent departure, of a Scruffedy Bumtious. Thus begins an frustratingly epic journey, full of peril and mishaps, which takes Beardychin far away from her safe and comfortable home. Will she ever find the Bumtious again?

Click for larger versions:

Details:

• Interface: Two-click (left-click to interact/talk, right-click to examine)
  • Resolution: 1024 x 768
  • Game Length: Short
  • Release Date: May 2016
Backstory:
I am creating this game as a birthday present for my mum (who, just to be clear, is NOT Old Woman Beardychin :P). This is the first proper game that I have made, although I have played about with AGS in the past. I know it doesn't have the best graphics ever, but I've done my best. I'm just glad that my cows actually resemble cows. (laugh)

Progress:

(15/04/2016)
The game is playable from beginning to end, although a few puzzles still need to be implemented. Some of the graphics still need improving (you can see in the screenshots that the paths are all different colours, for example) and I haven't even started on finding sound effects and music yet. :-\ But I still have about two weeks before the "Birthday Version" has to be finished, so it'll be alright. I can do it! ;-D

(20/04/2016)
The gameplay is done! It is now completely playable from beginning to end, with all puzzles in place. Next I have to tidy up the dialogues, improve some of the backgrounds, and add a few more animations.

(25/04/2016)
I think I'm pretty much done with the backgrounds now, and the dialogue is getting there. I still have a few animations to try and create, but I'll see how they go. Those parts might have to be left to the imagination! :P Then it's on to sound effects...

(30/04/2016)
OK, the Birthday Version is as complete as it's going to be and is ready for deployment. There are a few things I'll have to change (adding in full credits, etc.) before I add it to the AGS database, but hopefully I can release it sometime in the next couple of weeks. Yay!

(05/05/2016)
The Birthday Version went down really well! So I have added the game to the database, and you can find the completed game thread here.

Blondbraid

It looks like a really cute game, I wish you best of luck! ;-D

Mandle

What a wonderful birthday present for mum...I take it she is a bit of an adventure game fan and the present is that she gets to play an adventure game made by her child on her birthday?

Best of luck with the game! The graphics look quite charming to me!

Riaise

Thank you so much for the comments!

Mandle: She likes puzzle games, and she enjoyed Broken Sword when I recommended it to her. I wanted to make something with a bit of a story to it, that would really mean something. We've had a tough few years, in our own way, but we're getting through it now and I wanted to do something that reminds her that there are better times ahead, if that doesn't sound too cheesy. :P

Blondbraid

Quote from: Riaise on Fri 15/04/2016 19:56:43
Thank you so much for the comments!

Mandle: She likes puzzle games, and she enjoyed Broken Sword when I recommended it to her. I wanted to make something with a bit of a story to it, that would really mean something. We've had a tough few years, in our own way, but we're getting through it now and I wanted to do something that reminds her that there are better times ahead, if that doesn't sound too cheesy. :P
That sounds so sweet, hope you finish the game in time! :)

AnasAbdin

This looks adorable, sweet and funny ;-D
The style is just awesome! I'm glad the tease will be short since May is after a couple of weeks (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Don't kniow what you're talking about, the art is lovely! (nod)
The idea even better! Good luck with meeting with the deadline!
And remember you can always ask for help on the forum, as sometimes that can be faster than trying to figure out a complicated code. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Riaise

Thank you all so much for the encouragement! ;-D

I've already used the forum search a lot, and I'm constantly checking the manual. So far I've been able to find everything that I need, but if there's anything that I can't figure out then I'll be sure to ask! :-D

Riaise

I've updated the screenshots and added an animation to the first post. The game is coming along nicely, it's not far off being presentable. (laugh)

shaun9991

This looks delightful! I love the art. Good luck with it :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Riaise

Thank you! ;-D

I've added a new update to the first post. The game is complete and ready for Mum, so hopefully I can release it within the next couple of weeks. :-D

Cassiebsg

Congrats! Looking forward.
Your mom is a lucky lady. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CrashPL

Now that's a pretty nice idea for a birthday present. :D

An yeah, the art style's pretty adorable, hope it gets released to public soon! :)

Riaise

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments! I have officially released the game now, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as Mum did! :-D

Completed Game thread
AGS game page

Darth Mandarb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk