[WINNERS] SPRITE JAM [Apr 16-May 05] Non-human Sidekicks!

Started by Avirosb, Sat 16/04/2016 13:21:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Avirosb

Non-human Sidekicks

So you're preparing to embark on a taxing journey - fraught with danger and multiple detours -
just to return that one carton of milk you bought from the store that was way past the expiration date.

But of course you needn't go alone.
Your non-human sidekick decides to tag along for the trip!
Why? Maybe you share a common goal, or maybe It just wants to keep you company.

Non-human sidekicks come in many shapes and sizes - from snarky robots that takes on different shapes,
to talking birds - and is a common staple in adventure games.

Some can take to the skies to scout ahead.
Some help you solve puzzles, and some have the power to vanquish your foes.
Some come and go as they please, and some remain by your side at all times.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to design your ideal non-human sidekick.

Rules:

• This Sprite Jam is about non-human sidekicks. That means no human sidekicks.
    Sorry about that. The sidekick can however be humanoid in appearance.
  • Since this is called a 'Sprite Jam' then I guess all entries need to be sprites.
    (Not too sure about this one so I won't object to deviations, although others might)
  • Please write a line about the sidekick's ability/abilities that makes It so indispensable to the protagonist's mission.
    Also feel free to describe the Main Protagonist or draw him/her. This is optional but provides context.
  • To make things easier during the voting process, you are only allowed one entry.

I'm fresh out of trophies, so hope you people can make do with these commemorative birbs :X

Deadline is May 5th, hope to see some participation :)
(Hope I did all right. If I forgot anything, please holler)

Kumpel

This topic is AWESOME! 8-0 8-0 8-0
I am so gonna participate!

But how do we show, that it is a sidekick? Maybe add a rule that the contestant has to draw a sillhouette of the "master" beside the sidekick to see the (non-)differences in height? Or am I overthinking it? :-\

And I love your birds. You rock as a host from the beginning on :D

Avirosb

Heh, thanks a lot for the encouraging words ;-D

In regards to your question, uh... I, should probably take that into consideration, shouldn't I?

Grok

I'm thinking about getting a cat for Jacqueline

Cassiebsg

Was trying Photoshop and all of a sudden this "little" guy appeared in on my screen.. took only a few minutes really... and then rest of the day to clean it and shade it. (roll)

[IMGzoom]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/Cassiebsg/Misc/LilleGreen.png[/IMGzoom]

Who's going to defend you against the bully? (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

DBoyWheeler

Man... if only I could take part in competitions at this time.

But if I were to do so... why do I have the voice in my head screaming out for me to a parody of the Cheat from Homestar Runner?!

Avirosb

Just go for it. It doesn't have to be 100% original.
There's only been 2 entries so far.

Scavenger

Alright! I might do more, but this is what I got so far:

[imgzoom]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50882197/art/raccoon_sidekick.PNG[/imgzoom]

An early 90s hi resolution adventure game in which you play a private investigator, with their pet raccoon. Need something opened, stolen, or otherwise messed around with? Your buddy is always there to lend a helping paw to do things that doing yourself might not be strictly legal! His fingerprints aren't permissable in a court of law! Probably!

Avirosb

Voting time. With only 3 entrants I think it's best to limit this to 1 vote per person, so think long and hard before voting (just not too long :()
Also remember you will only be voting for best design of a non-human sidekick. Pay no attention to the humans.

The following entrants are:

Grok, with this cool cat!

[imgzoom]http://orig13.deviantart.net/aa85/f/2016/110/e/1/cat_by_pekj-d9zlzsa.png[/imgzoom]

Cassiebsg, with this dinosaur-looking thingie!

[imgzoom]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/Cassiebsg/Misc/LilleGreen.png[/imgzoom]

Scavenger, with this pet racoon!

[imgzoom]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50882197/art/raccoon_sidekick.PNG[/imgzoom]

I'll count the votes in about a week from now. Good? Good.

Avirosb

Gonna bump this once since modified posts don't count.

Cassiebsg

Ah... I was going to comment that I didn't know how I had missed this, but can see you edited it. I suggest you also edit the 1st post and change the topic to "voting time" or something like that.

Anyway, my vote goes to Scavenger, with this pet racoon!

selmiak

everyone who choses the C64 palette deserves to instawin this! If not for that, the description and the execution rock, so my vote goes to scavenger!

Danvzare

My vote goes to Cassiebsg, because that dino is just adorable!
Plus, I like it's design.

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 06/05/2016 17:25:58
everyone who choses the C64 palette deserves to instawin this! If not for that, the description and the execution rock, so my vote goes to scavenger!
Also Selmiak, Scavenger is clearly using the EGA palette, not the C64 palette.

cat

I vote for Jacqueline err.. Grok and his cat.

Amayirot Akago

Scavenger for sure. Love EGA and that raccoon is adorable.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Avirosb

WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Wow, time moves really fast some times.
Anyway, time to announce the winners. That is to say, all who participated 8-)

1st Place:
With a whooping 3 votes; Scavenger! :cheesy: Congrats, a winner is you.

2nd Place:
Shared second place to Grok and Cassiebsg, with one vote each.

That means these two goes straight to the furnace :cheesy:

Thank y'all for participating, and have a good one.

Cassiebsg

Cool! :)

Thanks and congratulations Scavenger! :D

* Cassiebsg looks down to her signature and realized that been a while since it got updated... and there's no place for more stuff. :~(

Scavenger

Hooray! I'll have something set up soon! Thank you for running this time's Sprite Jam , and thank you everyone who entered :)

Danvzare

Congratulation Scavenger. :-D
Also, those poor birds that are going to the furnace. Ah well, at least they'll keep me warm... even though it's summer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk