A Sloth for Both Seasons (MAGS Edition)

Started by CaptainD, Fri 01/04/2016 22:30:03

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Ever wondered what it was like to be a sloth?  Wonder no more!

Creamy, Selmiak and I made "A Sloth for Both Seasons" as an entry to the March 2016 MAGS competition.  You play the role of a female sloth in search of a mate, escape from a predator, find shelter to have your baby, and other slothy stuff.

We may revisit this and expand on the game / put in some of the added detail and animation we didn't have time to at a later stage.  No promises though!

Primary download is GameJolt, mirror is Gdrive.

Game page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2035/

cat

Oh no, I crashed the game when right-clicking on the other side on the island :(

Spoiler

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An internal error has occurred. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.
(ACI version 3.3.4.2)

Error: prepare_script: error -18 (no such function in script) trying to run 'hOtherside_Look'   (Room 1)

OK   
[close]

Found another bug:
Spoiler
During the race, when the squirrel is dead already and you click it, the dialog will start again and only after that the end sequence will happen.
[close]

Other than that, hillarious game!

Shadow1000

Quote from: cat on Sun 03/04/2016 19:17:33

Found another bug:
Spoiler
During the race, when the squirrel is dead already and you click it, the dialog will start again and only after that the end sequence will happen.
[close]

I was going to comment that I experienced this during the race where I clicked him by mistake.

SHADOW

CaptainD

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH I didn't post this for you people to find BUGS!!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:(roll)(roll)

We'll look into these, thanks for letting us know.

Cassiebsg

Great game!

I'm just so happy that...
Spoiler

Spoilers!
Spoiler

Really there's only spoilers in here!! Move along!
Spoiler

Don't complain later that I didn't warn you!
Spoiler

That I didn't had to complete 79 laps! (laugh)
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

Too bad we didn't have time for extensive testing... just post all the bugs you find in that MAGS version here and we'll take care of that for a polished version.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 03/04/2016 21:28:32
Great game!

I'm just so happy that...
Spoiler

Spoilers!
Spoiler

Really there's only spoilers in here!! Move along!
Spoiler

Don't complain later that I didn't warn you!
Spoiler

That I didn't had to complete 79 laps! (laugh)
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Yeah...I was thinking...

Spoiler

..."ARE THEY SERIOUS?!" and then laughed for real when it turned out to be a joke...That was very cool!
[close]

AprilSkies

LOL! Wonderful game! One of the funniest games played in recent times.
It just took me a bit to understand what to do at the beginning of the game (I felt like a sloth indeed).
great job guys

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Stupot

Just played it. great stuff. I especially liked the second puzzle. Such a good idea.

Kumpel

Sloth? is this you trying to get to your adventure game location?

haha

CaptainD

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 07/04/2016 13:55:22
Sloth? is this you trying to get to your adventure game location?

haha

Brilliant!  That was actually our sloth's audition reel, didn't know it gone viral 8-)

selmiak

This isn't even a GiP thread but I just wanted to mention we have a lovely startscreen for the final version ready...

Spoiler
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/ZeMK6HS.png[/imgzoom]

yummee colors!  8-)

[close]

CaptainD

Could you make it a little more pink?

selmiak

Yeah, since we don't have pink socks, we should have included that paint her fingernails pink puzzle... :P

CaptainD

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 07/04/2016 22:13:34
Yeah, since we don't have pink socks, we should have included that paint her fingernails pink puzzle... :P

I'm gonna say this before the Mods destroy this conversation - she should be wearing pink socks.

.M.M.

Great game! And not just because everything involving sloths gets extra points from me: the puzzles were fun, and I enjoyed slow crawling through the beautifully drawn forest, two days had passed before I found out what to do. :)

CaptainD

Thank you!  Always nice to hear from a sloth fan (fashionably late of course :-D).

Slasher

Great graphics 8-)

Will play soon (nod)

slasher

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 18/04/2016 12:43:02
(fashionably late of course :-D).

This makes me so want a game where the sloths totally make fun of the humans for being everywhere EXACTLY on time, even if they are like a week late for an appointment...

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy goooooooooooooooooooooooooood, thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumaaaaaaaaaaaaan haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiideeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow toooooooooooooooooooooooooo aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaashiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaably laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!"

And, on a seperate point...I was actually wondering today what it must be like to put your hand out to grab something within easy reach and have it take like 30 seconds before you have it. I tried acting it out and it was pretty impossible to get it just right: the way I would move my fingers slowly to start to reach to connect with the handle of the cup 15 seconds before they got there...etc...just never matched up properly. It made me wonder if sloths have amazing powers of concentration (because I would lose interest in said object after about 10 seconds) or if they simply experience time in exactly the way this game portrays...

I've read that flies can relate to time down to pretty much the microsecond as this is the amount of time it takes them to tweak their wing a fraction of a millimeter to avoid getting swatted by a human, and so there is a theory that they experience time incredibly slowed down in their brains to be even able to make such adjustments: So humans are such huge, incredibly slow-moving titans to them that they just cruise around ever so lackidaisically and take the piss out of...While we, in our time-frame, swat away frantically at them...

This would also mean that no matter what the life-span of any creature, that we all pretty much experience our total life as being around the exact same length of time, whether you're a gnat on a sunny afternoon by the river or an elephant tortoise lumbering around the same 52 meters of ground your entire life in a zoo somewhere...

Could be a mind-blowing game, where you jump from animal to animal and experience time as they do only to find out at the end which outlived the others by miliseconds, decades, or a century, but each adding their own vital part to the game story...

/PHILOSOPHICAL RAMBLE

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk