Compiled game crashes. [SOLVED]

Started by Teemu, Thu 28/04/2016 21:51:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Teemu

Hi,

I have this problem when compiling the game. When you try to run exe it crashes the game. If you try to run it from editor, it crashes the editor too.

Never had this problem before and I dont remember changing anything. I dont remember if I have tried AGS with win 10 before tho.

Reinstalling didnt help.

Sslaxx

Does it give any error messages?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Teemu

No, its the basic "Program stopped working". When you try to run it again, you cant because its still running in somewhere background and you need to boot.

Cassiebsg

You should really provide more info, like what version you're using. (roll)

Anyway, that seems a lot like a reported problem, try checking your anti-virus software and searching the technical forum, I'm sure I've read about similar stuff you're talking about.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Teemu

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 28/04/2016 22:04:34
You should really provide more info, like what version you're using. (roll)

Newest offical. 3.3.4

QuoteAnyway, that seems a lot like a reported problem, try checking your anti-virus software and searching the technical forum

Do you mean "Bug and suggestion tracker" forum? There is a few topics about this but those are unreplied.

Crimson Wizard

Is there a CrashInfo***.dmp file created in your game directory after the crash?
If so, could you upload it somewhere and give us a link?

Also, what are your game's settings: default renderer, resolution, etc?

Teemu

I said miscorrectly that it crashes when trying to run from exe, all it really does is that cursor stucks to loading circle icon and nothing happens and it leaves program hiddenly running somewhere background, so it doesnt create dump file. Only if you run it from editor it crashes the editor.

All settings are default: DirectDraw 5, 320x200 (tried others too), 16-bit highcolor

Also compiled setup acts same way and doesnt open.

Does AGS use some other programs that I should maybe update or reinstall?

Computer Im using is pretty new acer laptop. Updated the free windows update from 8 to 10 couple months ago. Havent really used AGS for a long time.

Intel Core i3 4005U
Intel HD Graphics 4400 256mb dynamic video memory

I try to figure this out tomorrow, now I feel a bit tired and frustrated.

Crimson Wizard

Hmm, I heard DirectDraw 5 might be not working on Windows 10, because it requires very old versions of DirectX.
Perhaps, try choosing Direct3D 9 as a default renderer.

Also, you might need DirectX 9 installed on your system to make it run; Windows 10 has DirectX 12 installed by default, which is not backwards compatible.

EDIT: I found this Windows 10 update that supposedly may help in this case:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424
it installs d3d9.dll, among other things.

Teemu

Thanx Wizard,

I tried if other ags games would work and they do (at least this Scenario 5B), also compiling works so I dont see the problem here. Also tried to change to Direct3D 9 but that didnt help alone.
Then I tried to install D9 but it wont let install it to windows 10 so I googled about it. Common fix seems to be to install only these user-end runtime libraries, and I was already excited that it would fix it but it didnt. I try to figure out something else. Its a bit frustrating to have good game idea but not able to work on it.

Crimson Wizard

I have to say that currently I have no clear ideas.

You could try checking Windows event logs to see if any error description is recorded when your game fails to start.

Does your game use any plugins? Does the same problem occurs if you just create a blank game from simpliest template?

Also, see if moving your compiled game to some "write-safe" location (like User Documents or different disk partition other than "C", if you have one) changes anything.

EDIT: I think I will get myself a Trial version of Win 10 to see if I may find out anything on my own.

Teemu

I appriciate your effort, I have a feeling tho that this puzzle is meant to be solved by me without a walktrough.

Weird tho that I happen to have exactly same problem with codeblocks/c++ too. I dont know if those could be linked somehow. Cant investigate it now because its not my computer whitch has this problem and Im back home now.

Glad if you can figure something out.

Teemu

Yay,

I finally found the problem: Modern antivirus blocks self-created programs. So solution was to shut down Avast (or make some folders exceptions).

Now both code::blocks and AGS work again.

Thanks all for replies.

Edit: Now I feel a bit embarrased. I noticed this solution was succested already before. I somehow overlooked it. :sealed:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk