Fortnightly Writing Competition: Scarcity (WINNER!)

Started by Ponch, Wed 08/06/2016 04:09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

kconan

I enjoyed the varied entries, and so one vote is tough...Baron by a scarce, lone hair.

Sinitrena

I enjoyed all three stories for very different reasons:

Mandle: Your story made me laugh. I didn't know the word scarcity before and so I read the thread title as Scar City at first, so I immediately connected with your story.

WHAM: The stakes in your story are set very high. It's about the survival of all of humanity and you get the anxiety of such a situation across pretty well. But, to be honest, the elite in your story is slightly stupid. They should have expected this kind of "treason", shouldn't they?

Baron: If we had categories to vote in this time around, you would be an obvious candidate for background world and atmosphere. I like how the poor protagonist struggles in a dystopian world.

However, as I am only allowed one vote, it has to go to WHAM.

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 27/06/2016 12:58:56
Mandle: Your story made me laugh. I didn't know the word scarcity before and so I read the thread title as Scar City at first, so I immediately connected with your story.

Cheers!

Despite my entry being a one-trick-pony pun, I still tried to write it in as best a "Sin City" kind of gritty mood as possible...And I'm glad that someone enjoyed it...

But nobody vote for my entry please...It was a joke entry, even though I put a slight effort into the writing (I thought the moth-kisses image was quite nice)...

I do intend to vote but MAGS pressure prevents me from reading all entries in a calm state of mind right now...

I hope the deadline for voting holds out past the end of the month, otherwise please excuse me for not voting (again) :-[ ...

WHAM

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 27/06/2016 12:58:56
WHAM: The stakes in your story are set very high. It's about the survival of all of humanity and you get the anxiety of such a situation across pretty well. But, to be honest, the elite in your story is slightly stupid. They should have expected this kind of "treason", shouldn't they?

They thought they had, though perhaps this should have been brought across better. The idea was that the workers were promised places in Eden for their services (Eden needs workers after it's completion anyway), along with other assets and money and services. The rich people simply underestimated the people's will to be together with their families, even if that would mean more or less directly murdering thousands of people and watching them die.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Baron

Three very different approaches to the topic. :)

I liked Sinitrena's very sparing use of words, rationing them out in small, tight parcels like they were endangered.

I liked Mandle's creepy idea of a city of inexplicably scarred people.  It leaves all kinds of questions unanswered: details were ....scarce.

I am ever the fan-boy of WHAM's eloquent writing style and his sci-fi scenarios.  It was awesome that the blue-collar folks actually won a round when it really counted.

I have to say that I am a little bit disappointed in the scarcity of the word "diaphanous" in the valid entries. (roll)

So with only one vote I guess I have to decisively decide in favour of the person I am going to decide to vote for.  After much hemming and hawing, and a bit of hewing and hoeing as well, I think I've got to drop the vote bomb: WHAM!  His entry pushed all the right buttons for me: class struggle, hubris, apocalyptic disaster, inversion of typical fates, and celebrities clawing out each other's eyes while being scantily-clad enough to show off their toned abs and boob jobs.  Yep, I think that's just about everything on the checklist to my heart. (nod)   

Mandle

Sorry for leaving my vote til the last minute...MAGS was a tad crazy towards the end there:

Baron's work had his usual wonderous world-building: What if Snake Pissken's next adventure was: "Escape From Bali" kinda feel...But I really wanted to find out more about what was inside the hatch (and also if it had the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 engraved on it somewhere)...

Sinitrena's poem was great in it's "scarcity" of words and expanding/shrinking pattern...

But:

My vote goes to WHAM!

The bleakness of the story's world really appealed to my love of all things post-apocalyptic.

I loved the twist ending, but even more I loved the fact that the people inside felt sorry for what they were doing to the ruthless bastards outside: A bitter but righteous victory!

Ponch

And the polls are closed! The FWCexit is happening! :shocked:

In first place, WHAM! His reward for being the best hobo writer is most of loaf of bread!

In second place, Baron! His writing efforts have won this unwashed drifter nearly a third of a loaf of bread!

Tied for third place are the smelly and lice-ridden Mandle and Sinitrena, who get to fight each other over a single, thick slice of stale bread!

A big round of applause for our talented vagrants! Hopefully things will turn around for them quickly and they'll get back on their feet soon so they can afford more votes in the future.

In the meantime, take it away, WHAM! :cheesy:

Mandle

HAHAHAHA Ponch!!!

* Mandle congratulates and hugs everyone as a distraction to sneak the stale bread from behind Sinitrena's back and make a break for it onto that boxcar with the open door that just started pulling out!!!

kconan

Congrats to WHAM!  I enjoyed the entries...all were really good, diverse takes on the theme.

WHAM

An almost entire loaf of bread! That'd feed me for three weeks!
Oh me, oh my, this is a blessed day indeed!

Cheers to everyone! Really happy to see that you folks liked the story. :)

I've got an idea for the next theme, will post it up tomorrow morning.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Baron

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk