Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 05/05/2016 18:53:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo_One

Thanks for the answers. But there is a form very simple:

if(Game.TranslationFilename=="English")
  {
    Game.ChangeTranslation("Castellano");
  }
  else if(Game.TranslationFilename=="Castellano")
  {
    Game.ChangeTranslation("English");
  }
This with only one button.

Neo_One

I dont't know if someone have the same problem with Linux compilation, everithing go fine until you have to move the character and doesn't move. Like if isn't the walkable area.
In Windows is the same.
Someone with this same trouble?

Edit: Solved. I had wrote GUI.Processclick and have to be ROOM.Processclick

daneeca

Hi guys!
I don't know where should I ask my question, but I try it here. So I'm working on my game for months. It had no problem so far. But today I tried to test my game, and after the first cutscene video I got an error message.
This one:

What is this? I tried rebuild all files and restart the AGS but it didn't work :(

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: daneeca on Tue 14/06/2016 00:32:33
Hi guys!
I don't know where should I ask my question, but I try it here. So I'm working on my game for months. It had no problem so far. But today I tried to test my game, and after the first cutscene video I got an error message.

The first thing to check is "Compiler" -> "Build Targets" option in the General Settings. Does it have "Windows" platform selected?
I think there may be a bug that makes "Windows" selection dissapear, but I could not find how this is happening yet.

daneeca

I think it's okay:

I made a backup and generated number speech lines and a voice acting script the day before yesterday to check how many lines I have. And then I deleted this folder (because it isn't done yet), and moved there the backup. The name is the same as before, so I dont understand why it's happening. Is it possible the problem is that I relocated the folder and later I moved it back?

Update:
I wanted to avoid the error message, so I used the debug mode. I went into some other room, and I got two new error message:

Once the debug mode was successful. I went into a room, where aren't any character, and the main character is invisible. Like in the first rooms before the cutscene video. It's interesting.

Crimson Wizard

E: corrected the previous answer.

It seems to me that there may be some file name mismatch, like the game expecting one file name, but you have another there.
I am not sure I properly understood the actions you did with folders, like which folder did you backup and which moved. Could you explain that in detail, with actual folder names?

Anyway, did you try completely deleting "Compiled" and "_Debug" subfolders and rebuilding the game? (Build -> Rebuild all files)

daneeca

So, firstly I made a copy about the "Falcon City" folder (this contains the Compiled folder and the other files), and then I renamed this copy to "20160612_fc_backup". I opened the original file and generated auto number lines and voice acting script. I checked the number of lines, and then I deleted this original folder. I copied the "20160612_fc_backup" folder and renamed it to "Falcon City" and opened in AGS. I added some new script, and I tried test it. I got the error message this time. The first two room are working, but after these the error is appearing.

I deleted the debug and compiled folder completely, and I rebuilded all files, but it didn't work. There is the "20160612_fc_backup" folder, and this is working (with this folder name), but I don't want to recreate all script, if I can fix it easily.

Cassiebsg

This is not a solution to that problem, but just wondering why you didn't do it the other way around.
I mean, made a copy of the project folder to another place, generated the voice files in the copy, copy the generated voice files to elsewhere (if you wanted to keep them) and then delete the "temp folder"?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

This is all is pretty confusing for now, for instance, I am not yet persuaded that this problem is related to moving project between folders.

Can you elaborate on following, you said:
I copied the "20160612_fc_backup" folder and renamed it to "Falcon City" and opened in AGS. I added some new script, and I tried test it. I got the error message this time. The first two room are working, but after these the error is appearing.

So, do I understand correctly, that the project in "Falcon City" folder stopped working not right after you copied the folder, but after you added something new?
What kind of modification was that - did you modify existing script, or create new script module, or new room perhaps?
Did you put any new material in, like speech files, audio etc?

Now, if that is correct, you have two folders - "20160612_fc_backup" and "Falcon City" - which are slightly different by contents.
What if you rename your "Falcon City" to something else (like "Falcon City copy"), then copy "20160612_fc_backup" again into "Falcon City" - will the project in "Falcon City" work?

In other words, it would be first important to understand, is it the folder movements/rename or your recent changes to script that cause this.

daneeca

I renamed the backup to Falcon City and it worked. I gave up. I copied the scripts from the new version to the backup version the last two days. It's working, so I don't know what was the problem. Somehow the files has been corrupted.
Anyway, thank you for the help. I'll create backup files more often.

Cassiebsg

I got a weird bug(?), unless am doing something stupid. (roll)

In my latest game, I have a character (cCarEnd, that is just the car driving away with a view) placed around middle of the screen. This character never moves (so no walk or move commands) it only animates. I had place it outside the walkable area and set the variable "UseRoomAreaScaling" to false. It worked great, still does!

Anyway, I've been patching the game and I decided at some point to make the walkable area a bit bigger, which meant that the cCarEnd now is inside the walkable area. And suddenly the car was being drawn at about half size, so applying the scale! I've checked and re-checked,  even made sure to check it to false in the room also, yet it still gets scaled.

I've reverted the walkable area to a few pixels less to make sure the character's "feet" are outside the walkable area, so now it's being drawn properly again.

But is it me, that don't get how this "UseRoomAreaScaling" is suppose to work, could I have accidentally inserted some code that will make the character obey the scaling even though it's set to false, or is this an engine bug?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 16/06/2016 19:40:51
But is it me, that don't get how this "UseRoomAreaScaling" is suppose to work, could I have accidentally inserted some code that will make the character obey the scaling even though it's set to false, or is this an engine bug?
I think you understand how it works correctly, and I cannot reproduce this if I try to create same situation.

The only way to change this in script I know is Character.ManualScaling and Character.Scaling properties.

daneeca

I can't believe this. I got the same error message... I copied all script and there wasn't problem so far. And now I just fixed some bug in the game and this sh*t is trying to kill me again...

I just added some new animation, exchange some coordinates, fixed some mouse over cursor changing. Honestly, I don't know what is the problem...

Update:
OMG! It's incredible. I deleted the sprites of the new animations and it's working now. So probably the animation's image files are corrupt.
Sorry for my whining, but this information would be useful in the future for anyone.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: daneeca on Fri 17/06/2016 00:58:10
OMG! It's incredible. I deleted the sprites of the new animations and it's working now. So probably the animation's image files are corrupt.
Sorry for my whining, but this information would be useful in the future for anyone.
Hmm, could you maybe upload those files somewhere and explain how did you use them (like put them into animation, etc)? Without this it would be super hard to track this bug in the program.

Also, I noticed that your game in production is pretty hi-res. Can you tell, what is the size of the "acsprset.spr" file in your game project?

daneeca

Yes, of course. Here are the animations:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzkpp9in09-la0tsdk1CS2RGM3M
These are simple walk cycle animations. I created a new view and imported all image with "quick import sprites" to the correct loops. No transparency, because they have alpha channel. I use this way for years.
I checked the acsprset.spr file, and it's 1,91 GB. Is it problem?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: daneeca on Fri 17/06/2016 02:02:49
I checked the acsprset.spr file, and it's 1,91 GB. Is it problem?
AGS has a problem that it does not support data file with size over 2 GB. I cannot tell right away whether the cause of your trouble was that the new animation exceeded this limit, but that is hypothetically possible, and will become an issue anyway if you continue to add graphics.
I suggest trying to enable "Compress sprites" and/or "Split resources" option in the General Settings (Compiler section).

daneeca

I think more than likely that this was the problem. I checked the "corrupt" version and there it is 2 GB.
This compressing is very effective. It's just 267 MB now.
Thanks for the help!

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 16/06/2016 22:29:53
I think you understand how it works correctly, and I cannot reproduce this if I try to create same situation.

Okay, I know I didn't use those commands, so unless one of the modules does, something is weird.

If you like I'll put the "bug" back in and send you the source code.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 17/06/2016 15:22:51
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 16/06/2016 22:29:53

Okay, I know I didn't use those commands, so unless one of the modules does, something is weird.

If you like I'll put the "bug" back in and send you the source code.

Okay, I will take a look.
Actually I remember someone reported a similar situation a while back, but I do not remember how they fixed it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk