Working with a film/tv director

Started by simmo76, Sun 22/05/2016 11:23:16

Previous topic - Next topic

simmo76

Hi all,

I'm considering bringing in a director to help with my project.  My thinking is that working with someone who has experience directing film/movie projects will help bring skills I don't possess:
- Scene layout/lighting
- character direction
- camera positions/movements
- cut scene direction

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?  Has anyone had experience working with a director on a game project or know how to go about finding/working with one?

Any help/opinions would be much appreciated

Cheers,
Simon

Danvzare

Take what I'm about to say with a pinch of salt, since I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
But movies and games are two very different mediums. A movie has scenes in a very specific way, with the actors facing a specific direction, with the camera changing in specific ways at specific times. While games are much more dynamic, with you usually being able to move the character freely about the screen, and with the camera only changing at certain locations.

A director could definitely help with cutscenes, but a game shouldn't be bogged down with too many cutscenes. I think the general rule of thumb is that a cutscene should be under four minutes... I can't quite remember though, it could be less. None the less, it's something like that, and that rule of thumb comes from the guy who conned the term cutscene.

What I'm trying to say is that a director works best in non-interactive medium. They have a clear vision which they then put on screen for everyone to see.
But games are an interactive medium, which won't conform to the exact vision a film or tv director will have due to a multitude of changing variables.

That isn't to say a director would be a bad idea. Just not one who specializes in films and/or television shows.

Like I said though, take what I said with a pinch of salt. It's only my opinion.

Kumpel

I'm with Danvzare in this one. If you as the creator won't do the "director" part (or want him to influence your work significantly), because you think your vision is not good enough, then maybe your idea is not thought out enough. If so, I am pretty sure a skilled script writer instead is a very good way to improve the experience a game you have in mind could possibly offer. Good adventures are primarily good told stories.

Ali

I think getting feedback and input from a cinema or animation perspective is a great idea. But there are a lot of talentless egomaniacs who want to be the next Orson Welles, so you'd want to get to know someone's work before collaborating with them. What I would say is, the things you're looking for feedback on aren't all a director's (definitely not a TV director's) job.

Camera angles / lenses and scene layout is something that a TV director is likely to be less involved in than a film director. You might also talk to a production designer about scene layout. Working with a director when recording voice actors is a great idea. But for lighting a scene, a director won't be as much help as a cinematographer / DoP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk