Whispers of a Machine

Started by Andail, Mon 16/05/2016 08:49:22

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

Nice work!  Nice naturalistic color scheme and wide-open space feel also. Kind of like a Myst-ified Beneath a Steal Sky.

Andail

Thanks for the kind words, everybody! They're a real inspiration injection!

Quote from: kingstone on Mon 16/05/2016 11:38:12
Have you been inspired by Simon Stalenhags art for the visual style/setting of the game?

I'm not gonna pretend I haven't looked at and to a degree studied Stålenhags art, like most contemporary digital painters I guess, and when you paint sci/fi-landscapes in a distinctly nordic light the association is inevitable...

The particular stretch of road in the top image is the highway leading from Göteborg to my former hometown Uddevalla, by the way :)

xBRANEx

I really liked the name of the game, and then I liked everything else even more: the plot, the art. Really nice.

Gurok

Intriguing. Everything looks very soft. Ambitious sprite size! And those sprites look so crisp comparatively.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Ctancreation

Andail

Important press release ;)
We have changed the title from God's Algorithm to Whispers of a Machine.
I also added another screenshot to make this a worthy update.

Quote from: Ctancreation on Sun 29/05/2016 19:04:22
need any help?
We'll make sure to post in the recruitment section in that case, thanks though

PS:
Since I hate it when people bump their own threads excessively, I'm appending to this post to answer below question.

The reason we cut "God's Algorithm" is that it's a bit too 'techie' and complicated, and might deter non-computer-savvy players. Also, it refers to a game theory concept that won't really feature in the game, so it's a bit misguiding in that sense. "Whispers of a machine" has a (hopefully) broader appeal, and also happens to fit the plot spot on.

Mandle

Quote from: Andail on Tue 31/05/2016 12:33:12
We have changed the title from God's Algorithm to Whispers of a Machine.

Hmmmmm...I must admit I thought the old title was better: The new one sounds a bit generic to my ear...Just my opinion of course...

Any reason for the change? Like you found another game with a similar name?

CaptainD

also looks like you need to change your forum signature if the new name is going to stick. ;)

Ark

I like the new name - somehow it sounds more intriguing to me. And the new screenshot, of course, is super beautiful. :)

WHAM

Ooooh, I love everything about this! The story, the setting, the look, EVERYTHING!
Really looking forward to seeing this in action. :)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

JSH

Hi all, thought I'd chime in here a bit :)

This project is something me and Petter have been discussing for years, super excited that it's finally gonna happen! Things are moving a bit slow as I'm still quite busy with the mobile ports for Kathy Rain, but at some point this fall we should get going properly with the development. Stay tuned!

Snake

I'm still looking forward to this, Andail. I love the atmosphere, which isn't a surprise to me since all of your games have a great atmosphere. Great job and keep it up :)

PS
I want to see more screens!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

luisdementia

Quote from: JSH on Sat 30/07/2016 15:11:04
Hi all, thought I'd chime in here a bit :)

This project is something me and Petter have been discussing for years, super excited that it's finally gonna happen! Things are moving a bit slow as I'm still quite busy with the mobile ports for Kathy Rain, but at some point this fall we should get going properly with the development. Stay tuned!

Good luck with the game ^^

inkyserifs

that looks absolutely fantastic. I love your scenery art. *_*

Andail

New background:
Not 100% done - the signs are basically placeholders, and some linework is a little rough - but you get the idea.

xil

This is looking fantastic mate, I really enjoyed TSM and Kathy Rain so I will definitely be picking this up. Name change was a good choice as well!
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

SilverSpook

Looks great +1! The new name fits the visuals better also, I think.  God's Algorithm gives me more neon or Matrix-ey cyberpunk.  Whispers of the machine fits the hushed nature-filled, natural-palette scenes here.  Like the future disappeared and is whispering to the inhabitants through relics, or some such.  Can't wait for this!

ThreeOhFour

Cool to see progress on this. I am fascinated with the idea of buildings within a building, and have been for some time, I like that you're doing something of that sort here.

Monsieur OUXX

luisdementia

This game looks really good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk