Stair Quest - #AdvJam2016

Started by pcj, Sat 21/05/2016 03:36:14

Previous topic - Next topic

pcj

Stair Quest

The realm of Castle's Wood is in despair.
As famine, war, disease, and natural disaster wreck havoc upon the land, good King Jonathan seeks the council of a wise old Soothsayer.
"Seek ye out the Orb of Stars," she tells King Jonathan.
Says the King, "The Orb of Stars is but a legend!"
The Soothsayer replies with a sly grin, "Even in legend may one find the truth, m'lord."
So, King Jonathan dispatches his bravest knight, Sir Devon, to quest for the legendary Orb of Stars. Little does he know his own daughter, Princess Ingrid, has also set out in search of the legendary relic...

Stair Quest is a retro adventure game that pays homage to the most enchanting, pulse-pounding moments from the early King's Quest games.

Features:

• Gorgeous EGA graphics inspired by classic Sierra On-Line adventure games like King's Quest and The Black Cauldron!
  • An innovative text parser that recognizes literally thousands of commands!
  • Multiple protagonists! Choose to play as either the brave Sir Devon or the daring Princess Ingrid.
  • An original 8-bit soundtrack so good it could pass as a 9-bit soundtrack!
  • An old-school instruction manual filled with Stair Quest lore and important tips for success! So authentic, it could have been written by Roberta Williams herself. (It wasn't.)

Download for free at Game Jolt
Mirror: http://www.nomorefortoday.com/stairquest

Made in two weeks for AdventureJam 2016 by:

Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Cassiebsg

Why, oh why do people insist on GameJolt? >:(

congrats on the release, but I need a mirror t try it out. (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 21/05/2016 09:29:36

you're the vainest person I know, always asking for a mirror ;-D

The Adventure Jam is hosted on GameJolt so all games have to uploaded there to be entered.

Cassiebsg

Well, GameJolt doesn't work for me, so yeah, if I'm going to give them a try, then I need a mirror. (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 21/05/2016 09:34:52

HOLY SHIT!!!

Stu, I think you might have just spoken your opus joke...

(I'm not sure if Cassie got it...given her straight response...)

pcj

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 21/05/2016 09:34:52
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 21/05/2016 09:29:36

Nice one. Added a direct download mirror.

shaun9991

This one's right up at the top of my 'AdventureJam 2016 Must Plays'!!! Great work guys!!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Mandle

Just downloaded....Soooooo looking forward to indulging in a lazy Sunday afternoon playing this!

Mandle

THE GAME LIES!!!

It told me the arrow keys are my friends!

xil

Never have I saved so much in an adventure game in my life hahaha - awesome little idea that is surprisingly well fleshed out and I would be upset if this didn't get some sort of prize for Adventure Jam 2016.

Spoiler
I got to the top but couldn't bring myself to go back down. I'll see how I feel tomorrow about completing the great decent... too far guys... too far. :P
[close]
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Decaffeinated Jedi

I just added Stair Quest to the AGS database. I hope you folks enjoy it!

Shadow1000

I played this game. I LOVED the retro look and music! Well done with the "manual" and "parser". Having played the type of game that it parodies in the late 80s I really got a kick out of that.

As a game, it took a LOT of patience to complete. Next time install railings on the stairs! :D

Spoiler
I do think that there is a LOT of tedious and repetitive action with not much gameplay. I realize that's done tongue in cheek and is the idea behind the project but a number of times I felt that it went too far and didn't want to proceed. Just some constructive criticism
[close]

SHADOW

zachaction

What the heck am I supposed to do when I reach the Orb on level 10?

pcj

Just do what you came here to do in the first place.

Spoiler
GET ORB
[close]

zachaction

Good god, thank you so much.

SinSin

I am so frustrated right now!!!

Thank you :-D
Currently working on a project!

cat

Great graphics/sounds/setting. However, I didn't quite like that kind of games back then, and I'm definitely not patient enough for them now. Dying three times in room 3 was enough to make me quit :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk