aerinde

Started by shaun9991, Fri 20/05/2016 19:12:23

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

Hi guys!

I made a very short game for AdventureJam 2016, it's called 'aerinde'.

You are G. After being given a chance at a new life by an old friend, it's time to return the favour.

It's a first person point and click adventure game, featuring adult themes. Should take 10 to 20 minutes to complete.

A bit of back story about the game -
A while back, Troels Pleimert, aka the Space Quest Historian, and I had an idea to swap photographs that would form the basis of a game. For AdventureJam 2016, we swapped pictures on the eve of the jam - giving us two weeks to each work out a story and create a game based on the photos we received from each other. This is my effort... ended up making it in about four nights due to various time constraints!

Any feedback is much appreciated. Let me know how you get on.

Warning: It contains drug references and a bit of bad language.

DOWNLOAD HERE

If you like, you can vote for the game here: http://jams.gamejolt.io/adventurejam2016/games/aerinde/148695
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

cat

Interesting one. It reminded me a bit of "A date in the park" for obvious graphical reasons but also
Spoiler
because of the crazy plot twist with the two graves
[close]

Please change the link in the post to the games page entry, not the download. Otherwise it's hard for people to find it and add their comments :)

shaun9991

Thanks for playing Cat! I changed the link :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Mandle

Another delightful fall down the rabbit-hole from Shaun9991!

I LOVE WHAT YOU DO!!!

The balance between the hard reality of the photographic style versus the sudden feeling of being pulled into an eeire world you have to piece together the best you can has had me hooked since Mudlarks!

I really get a Clive Barker feel from your games in that something completely insane might be going on just below the surface of what we see every day...

Please keep doing what you do!

shaun9991

Mandle!! :D This gave me all sorts of warm-fuzzies. Comments like this make this whole thing worth while, thank you so much!! I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

And you've given me a hankerin' to watch me some Hellraiser tonight :)

Gord10

Spoiler
I couldn't decrypt the message. I tried half of the combinations of 8, 7, 2, 3. Is there a pattern I am missing?
[close]
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Shadow1000

Quote from: Gord10 on Sun 22/05/2016 18:57:01
Spoiler
I couldn't decrypt the message. I tried half of the combinations of 8, 7, 2, 3. Is there a pattern I am missing?
[close]

Spoiler
That's actually a false lead. Look elsewhere for the code...
[close]

Good luck

SHADOW

Mandle

Quote from: Gord10 on Sun 22/05/2016 18:57:01
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Shadow1000 is right in that you don't need to use that code for this puzzle, but yes, there is a pattern I think you might be missing:

If you look at the 3 sets of numbers you might notice that they progress in a certain way...Find the next progression to get the code for something later in the game...
[close]

Shadow1000

My thoughts about the game:

- Just like Mudlarks and Date in the Park, the photographs used as backgrounds worked really well. Especially for a game put together in two weeks where creating a full environment with that many hand drawn rooms would not be realistic.
- Good story. I like how it unfolds. Since it's a short game, the back story is somewhat implicit but as I say, that goes with a short game.
- Decent puzzles.
Spoiler
interesting that the first puzzle was the most difficult
Spoiler
especially with the false lead
[close]
[close]

Overall, well done and quite complete.

SHADOW

Two Tales

I like games with this pixelated photographic style so I was convinced to download it straight away and yeh, I enjoyed it. I thought it was a neat idea to swap photos with someone and then try to come up with something quickly using them...and to do it in two weeks, good job!

xil

Great game! I did get stuck on that first puzzle for an embarrassing amount of time but I got there in the end ;)

The vibe was great throughout and I thought the graphics worked really well!
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Gord10

Spoiler
Am I supposed to give Kasper a drug? I couldn't find anything around.
[close]
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

xil

Quote from: Gord10 on Mon 23/05/2016 18:54:03
Spoiler
Am I supposed to give Kasper a drug? I couldn't find anything around.
[close]

Hint:
Spoiler
If I were to say drugs get you 'high', where would you look?
[close]

Answer:
Spoiler
Try waking up the dude on the roof!
[close]
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

sthomannch

Enjoyed this game a lot. Good graphics and puzzles. Took me a while though to get
Spoiler

the cod for the private message. I was distracted by that other short message. Well done
[close]
Only downside is that the nice city of Roskilde and the dome and ships are gone now :-) Really a beautiful place.

Gord10

@xil:
Spoiler
I knew it was something about that guy, but I couldn't manage waking him up.
[close]
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

sthomannch

If you are still stuck, open a thread in hints & tips
Spoiler

the guy will never wake up, but you can force him to move a little bit
[close]
Spoiler

with water
[close]
Spoiler

then, examine the floor next to the guy carefully for some goodies
[close]

Stupot

Just played this and it was great fun. Lots of nice touches.
Random Q. Did Troels give you the photos as they appear in the game or did you pixellate them yourself?

shaun9991

Thanks for playing guys! It's cool to have such feedback on this little experiment :)

@Stupot - When Troels sent me the pics they were all in super fancy glorious super HD, I resized them and used the same pixelation process that I did for A Date in the Park (using pixlr.com). Pixlr is a very handy website!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk