MAGS June "Neglected Historical Eras" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/06/2016 01:48:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 22/06/2016 17:46:47
Mandle your game looks really interesting! But then I always loved the game Pirates! so I may be a little biased... :-D
A little off topic here, but if you always loved Pirates! You should definitely play Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons.
It's like Pirates! but better. At least in my opinion. :-D

Also Mandle. I'm looking forward to sailing around on that map. The screwed up paths reminds me on Monkey Island 2. (laugh)

And Blondbraid, the blond haired monk looks like that rage face that says "You don't say!".
Also that comment the monk makes is hilarious. (laugh)

Slasher

Glad you have it sorted Mandle... can't wait to sail on the ocean waves (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 22/06/2016 17:59:00
Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 22/06/2016 17:46:47
Mandle your game looks really interesting! But then I always loved the game Pirates! so I may be a little biased... :-D
A little off topic here, but if you always loved Pirates! You should definitely play Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons.
It's like Pirates! but better. At least in my opinion. :-D
Gameplay-wise, it reminds me of The new world. It's a pretty good game about planning and resources.
QuoteAnd Blondbraid, the blond haired monk looks like that rage face that says "You don't say!".
Also that comment the monk makes is hilarious. (laugh)
The similarity was purely unintentional! I sort of recycled some sprites from a previous game I made in order to save time. Anyways, here is another screenshot of my game: I took a lot of inspiration from the Jean-Paul Laurens painting of the event, you can compare for yourselves:
Spoiler
[close]

My game will have a bit of a weird pacing though, first a short inventory-based puzzle to introduce the main character, while the rest of the game is essentially just one long dialogue, but I do hope the premise will be interesting enough to make up for this.

Slasher

Mandle

So....Is the guy in the chair just suffering from dementia or is he actually dead?

I'm thinking the latter, in which case: Monty Python couldn't have done a better job of a farcical trial skit!!!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 23/06/2016 15:39:02
So....Is the guy in the chair just suffering from dementia or is he actually dead?
I'm thinking the latter, in which case: Monty Python couldn't have done a better job of a farcical trial skit!!!
Well, if you are curious on the historical background, here is a link to an article on the trial, where the answer to your question can be found:
(spoiler-waring for events that took place over 1200 years ago! ;))
http://digitalcommons.law.uga.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1045&context=fac_pm

But I have also decided to put a twist of my own in the game, because I thought it would be funny to add a certain legendary medieval character into the story!
Among other tings, this character is said to have been the inspiration of the second card in the major arcana in the traditional tarot deck.
Can anyone guess which character I'm thinking of? :)

My game will be short, but I will include multiple dialog choices so that you have to play it two or three times in order to see it all.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 23/06/2016 16:28:28
Among other tings, this character is said to have been the inspiration of the second card in the major arcana in the traditional tarot deck.
Can anyone guess which character I'm thinking of? :)

I'll have a guess:

Don Quixote: The Fool?

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 23/06/2016 23:20:27
I'll have a guess:

Don Quixote: The Fool?
Nice guess, but as much as I like Don Quixote, he will not appear in this game. :(
Now I do hope I don't spoil too much, but the card I referred to is commonly known as The High Priestess, and it also has another older title...

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 23/06/2016 23:31:17
Now I do hope I don't spoil too much, but the card I referred to is commonly known as The High Priestess,

I guess Joan Of Arc...

In other news:

I have had an amazingly talented voice actor volunteer for some SFX which I have plugged into the game and they work a serious charm!

I've completed the first and second voyages of Columbus and the third and forth shouldn't be too much trouble now that I know how to script them (kinda)...

I'm planning something special for the fifth, last, and fictional voyage...

Actually, now that I'm burned out on coding I should probably just go do the work on that...

* Mandle high-fives himself and says: "Natch!"

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 25/06/2016 17:16:57
I guess Joan Of Arc...
Good guess, but still a no. This person does share their first name with the maiden of Orleans though, so it's closer this time. :)

I do suppose you can see for yourself in the game soon enough, for it's almost complete now,
playable from start to finish (it isn't very long) and most of the sounds and graphics in place.

Now all that remains is to choose some music and draw a game over screen (attempting to troll an enraged pontiff will not be without consequence!).

Slasher

And don't forget the spell check..

Looks good..

Blondbraid

Yes, just noticed the error in my screenshot, good thing you mentioned! :-[
But other than that, all the necessary sounds and sprites are in place and I
have yet to discover any major bugs at least.

Cassiebsg

Uhm, to be honest I didn't even knew there was a limit on the objects. :-[
Guess if they don't get raised, I can give up on an idea I was going to try out... but that would mean I needed 48 objects extra, not to mention all the ones I already have on the scene, which is currently 5, but still missing a few for some animations. :-\.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 26/06/2016 20:35:33
Uhm, to be honest I didn't even knew there was a limit on the objects. :-[
Guess if they don't get raised, I can give up on an idea I was going to try out... but that would mean I needed 48 objects extra, not to mention all the ones I already have on the scene, which is currently 5, but still missing a few for some animations. :-\.
I've said this on a different thread but I'll repeat it here, because I honestly think it could work.
Why not use characters as replacements for objects?
It'll be messy, but it should work in theory.

Cassiebsg

Oh dear, I posted on the wrong thread, so sorry! :-[
Is there a way for a mod to move these posts into the right thread here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53685.0 ???

Pretty please. (nod)
Danvzare, that would work, but too much work for what I want to do.

The Great Underground Empire

Sorry everybody, I'm not going to finish after all.  But good luck to the other fantastic looking entries!

Mandle

Quote from: PlayPretend on Sun 26/06/2016 22:01:29
Sorry everybody, I'm not going to finish after all.  But good luck to the other fantastic looking entries!

That's a real shame, but I know how it feels...I have missed the deadline a few times myself, but the games still exist for when I have the time/motivation to work on them again someday (or not)...

I did a LOT of work tonight, way past a sensible bedtime once again, but I'm glad I did as I very much underestimated the time needed to get the game ready...

Now I'm back on track, I have a cool (possibly seasickness-inducing) menu screen, and a bit of polish on GUIS...

Tomorrow night and Wednesday will be the final pushes to get the rest done in time...

BUT I WILL!!!

Cassiebsg

Stupot

How's progress? A little under 48 hours remaining. Start getting your ribbons and bows out.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 29/06/2016 02:51:44
How's progress? A little under 48 hours remaining. Start getting your ribbons and bows out.

In the last push... (I'm actually coding with my other hand while typing this, and drawing graphics with my foot)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk