AGS 3.4.0 - RC2 (Release candidate)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 19/06/2016 23:27:16

Previous topic - Next topic

AGD2

When I try to compile Al Emmo's source code in v3.4.0, it's giving me a bunch of errors like this:

Non-numeric phoneme offset ' (which is then followed by a square symbol)   File syncdata.dat

I've never experienced this compile error before in previous AGS editor versions when using the same set of speech files and phonemes setup.

Gurok

You say you haven't experienced this in previous AGS editor versions. Can you confirm that you've successfully compiled it with 3.3.4 or 3.3.5?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

AGD2

Really strange. I just tried compiling it with both v3.3.5 and v3.3.4.2 and got the same error in both of those, too.

The game was compiled with v3.3.4 and I didn't encounter the error at any point in the past. (BTW, the game only uses .pam Pamela files and no .dat Papagayo files in the speech.vox file).

Gurok

Are you sure it's not this issue, AGD2?
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52398.msg636517153#msg636517153

Can you please check for a syncdata.dat file in the speech folder?

According to CW's post, you should be able to remove it. The only syncdata.dat file required is generated each time the game is compiled and placed in the project's root.

AGD2

Ah, yeah, that was it... again! Thanks.

Perhaps AGS could automatically delete the syncdata.dat file if it exists in the speech folder, rather than trying to parse it as a papagayo .dat file.

--EDIT--

Another issue I've noticed with v3.4.0 compiled games when running them at full-screen is that when they get closed down with ALT+X, the game remains on the taskbar and an artifact window (just a blank white screen) is left behind. Clicking on the taskbar icon maximizes the white window and a Windows dialogue box appears with a green progress bar and a spinning circle icon. It says "[Game Name] has stopped working. WIndows is checking for a solution to the problem..."

After that disappears, another identical window appears and does the same thing. Then it says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

This is with Windows 10, but I also noticed it with Windows 7 and v3.4.0.

Gurok

I think we could potentially ignore the syncdata.dat file if it's in the Speech subdirectory, but my question is, how is it ending up there? If it's nothing that the editor does, I think the current behaviour is correct. It's telling you there's a problem with that file.

I have my own bug to report.

I am unable to build my game with anything after 3.4.0.9 or so. I'm using Calin Leafshade's sprite font plugin. The error I get is "unable to resolve import for SetSpacing" (one of the functions provided by the sprite font plugin).

At this commit (Manual: various corrections related to recent update), my game builds:
83a1153cd8317703edbaa14ff540829b069b5f7a

At this commit (Merge pull request #337 from sonneveld/xcode-build), it fails:
e1a8adde7d202758889ccb2446f65892e04bbf81

Between the pull request 337 merge and the manual corrections, there was a merge from master. It's something that happened in those two big merges, but I don't know where to begin looking. Sorry I haven't been able to narrow it down further.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Gurok on Sat 03/09/2016 13:33:30
I am unable to build my game with anything after 3.4.0.9 or so. I'm using Calin Leafshade's sprite font plugin. The error I get is "unable to resolve import for SetSpacing" (one of the functions provided by the sprite font plugin).
Where do you get this plugin exactly, and are you using compiled binary or compiled it yourself?

Gurok

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 03/09/2016 14:41:03
Quote from: Gurok on Sat 03/09/2016 13:33:30
Where do you get this plugin exactly, and are you using compiled binary or compiled it yourself?

I'm using a DLL I found in the sprite font thread. I've uploaded a copy for you:
http://goo.gl/5xo2v7

I was using the precompiled 3.4.0.9 from this thread (downloaded a while ago).
I upgraded to the precompiled 3.4.0.11 and noticed the problem.
I did not make a backup of 3.4.0.9 :(. I couldn't find a link to the official 3.4.0.9 in the thread, so decided to switch to an old Git revision and build 3.4.0.9 again from source.
I built and rebuilt repeatedly and found that 83a1... worked and e1a8... did not.
The problem should be present with a fresh copy of 3.4.0.11. That's where I noticed it first.
A minimal test case would probably be:

Code: ags
function game_start()
{
    SetSpacing(1, 2);
}

I can give you my project files too, if you need them.

Crimson Wizard

I actually wondered, whether you are building plugin for source. We have this plugin sources in our repository, and also there is Calin's repository:
https://github.com/calinleafshade/ags-spritefont

Regarding syncdata.dat, I thought there was already a fix regarding that?

dbuske

I found that when I create an object the icon for creation does not become visible.
Thus I cannot create an object. No way to choose a picture.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: dbuske on Mon 05/09/2016 13:43:59
I found that when I create an object the icon for creation does not become visible.
Thus I cannot create an object. No way to choose a picture.
I was trying to guess what you mean, and the only thing I can think of is that sprite 0 in your project is replaced with empty graphic (or you are using Empty Template) instead of default blue cup sprite.
If this is the case, you could either import any graphic you want to be default in place of sprite 0.
Also you may choose the object for editing in the drop-down list on top of the Properties Panel. After you selected object that way, simply change its Image to something else.

Crimson Wizard

@Gurok I found what's wrong with sprite font plugin. AGS does not remove ".dll" part of plugin name now, but anything after first ".". Since plugin file is called "agsplugin.spritefont.dll" it's name gets converted to "agsplugin" and therefore never loaded.
This should be changed back, because Editor always saves plugin names with ".dll" only.

soulcypher

If I start the project in AGS 3.4.0 - RC2, will it be compatible with full release?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: soulcypher on Mon 05/09/2016 20:00:00
If I start the project in AGS 3.4.0 - RC2, will it be compatible with full release?
Yes, we keep full compatibility with betas and release candidates.

Gurok

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 05/09/2016 16:44:56
@Gurok I found what's wrong with sprite font plugin. AGS does not remove ".dll" part of plugin name now, but anything after first ".". Since plugin file is called "agsplugin.spritefont.dll" it's name gets converted to "agsplugin" and therefore never loaded.
This should be changed back, because Editor always saves plugin names with ".dll" only.

Hi CW,

I'm sorry I haven't replied till now. I was tied up with work stuff for the past few days.

Thanks for the work in narrowing down the problem. Now that I know where to look, I might be able to have a go at patching it on the weekend (if you haven't already looked at it).

Regarding the syncdata.dat thing, I think the editor is now behaving correctly -- no crash, appropriate error message. It's just weird how that file keeps ending up in the Speech subdirectory for AGD2.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 07/09/2016 04:14:26
Thanks for the work in narrowing down the problem. Now that I know where to look, I might be able to have a go at patching it on the weekend (if you haven't already looked at it).
I've already fixed that, in 3.3.5 branch though, since it is where this bug was first introduced.
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/commit/8a97e84d7537af6798efdf56aff65506172ef3d8

I am currently awaiting results of certain test before making new 3.3.5 patch, after which I will merge 3.3.5 to 3.4.0 again, and hopefully this is where we can make a final 3.4.0 release (and start to make patches to it instead *irony*).

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 07/09/2016 04:14:26
Regarding the syncdata.dat thing, I think the editor is now behaving correctly -- no crash, appropriate error message. It's just weird how that file keeps ending up in the Speech subdirectory for AGD2.
Hmm, I did not remember what solution we made into AGS that time. Perhaps this need a further enhancement at some point, because it is strange that editor takes any random file with *.dat extension and attempts to treat it as a lipsync data.

AGD2

It's probably just that I had deleted it from my local directory, but that it had already been committed to git in the Speech folder, and it kept getting pulled back into my local copy. That's my guess anyway.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Thu 08/09/2016 23:46:32
It's probably just that I had deleted it from my local directory, but that it had already been committed to git in the Speech folder, and it kept getting pulled back into my local copy. That's my guess anyway.
That may be easy to check: if you delete it in local copy, git should suggest you commit the deletion of this file, which would mark it as deleted in remote repository too.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Sat 03/09/2016 13:21:29
Another issue I've noticed with v3.4.0 compiled games when running them at full-screen is that when they get closed down with ALT+X, the game remains on the taskbar and an artifact window (just a blank white screen) is left behind. Clicking on the taskbar icon maximizes the white window and a Windows dialogue box appears with a green progress bar and a spinning circle icon. It says "[Game Name] has stopped working. WIndows is checking for a solution to the problem..."

After that disappears, another identical window appears and does the same thing. Then it says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

This is with Windows 10, but I also noticed it with Windows 7 and v3.4.0.

I tested this out and my observations are that the window remains at background only when game is run in Direct3D mode, not in DirectDraw5 mode. Can you confirm that same occurs to you?
Also, I do not have any crashes, it just hangs there until I switch to it in any way, and after that it terminates.

AGD2

QuoteThat may be easy to check: if you delete it in local copy, git should suggest you commit the deletion of this file, which would mark it as deleted in remote repository too.

I've done just that. Someone else on another branch might have also had it still in their branch and perhaps it got back in via a merge. At any rate, I've also set it to be ignored in the .gitignore file. So, we'll see if it comes back or not.

QuoteI tested this out and my observations are that the window remains at background only when game is run in Direct3D mode, not in DirectDraw5 mode. Can you confirm that same occurs to you?

Yes, I have confirmed that it only happens with Direct3D mode too. In DirectDraw5 mode, it pops up with the "Game Aborted" Windows dialog box.

QuoteAlso, I do not have any crashes, it just hangs there until I switch to it in any way, and after that it terminates.

For me, the window hangs there in the taskbar, until I click it, then it maximizes (as a black screen) and shows the "Program Has Stoped Working" dialog box with a green bar searching for a solution.

Here's a video showing the crash. For some reason, you can't see the game screen (shows as white), but you can hear the moment I pressed ALT+X with the Windows 'ding' sound, and see the subsquent hung window on the taskbar and error messages.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk