Brexitmageddon

Started by Baron, Fri 24/06/2016 23:05:41

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

It's been absolutely awful. I live in London with my French wife (I'm from New Zealand) and our future is now somewhat up in the air! Millions of people voted Leave against their own best interests... so many lies from the Leave campaign that fanned and spread already brewing tensions. And then they won and it turned out they had absolutely no plan. Really awful stuff, and so unnecessary.

It's also been a huge distraction... have barely loaded up AGS in a week!!! :S
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Radiant

LimpingFish

*sigh*

Poor Boris. All he wanted to do was oust Cameron from his seat at the head of the Tory table, not actually cause a Brexit. The sad-sack, "WTF?!" expression he's been wearing since it all got away from him is a sight to behold. He's not really a racist; he just dabbled in the rhetoric usually spouted by Farage and his party of sentient hemorrhoids as a means to an end. He doesn't really want to fuck things up for Scotland, Northern Ireland (welcome back, border!), and British immigrants all over Europe, he just really, really wants to be Prime Minister.

Still...fifty-one percent is a lot of people to be swayed by an power-grabbing idiot and a racist hemorrhoid. Who knew?

But what's done is done. Any and all political stalling that may be happening at the moment is pointless on so many levels, and anybody who thinks the EU aren't determined to send Britain on it's way after such a massive "Fuck You!" is going to be very disappointed.

On the plus side, at least their kettles are safe.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Stupot

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 29/06/2016 01:50:16
On the plus side, at least their kettles are safe.
I was listening to the radio as the results started coming in. They read out a letter or tweet from a man whose reason for voting to leave the EU was because of the ban in high-powered vacuum cleaners. I mean, first-world problems or what.

Retro Wolf

That guy should have bought the G-Tech Air Ram. It's pretty badass!

SinSin

It's been over a month... I'm still alive!!
Currently working on a project!

Stupot

Quote from: SinSin on Mon 01/08/2016 23:26:11
It's been over a month... I'm still alive!!
Brexit hasn't even happened yet.

selmiak

but there was this newsreport that announced it's the plan to strategically place very explosive explosives around the borders of SB(*) and blow them up to fill the one and only long and ever moat and make england a new isolated island of prosperous islandolation. The masterplan is said to be undermining everything to make the whole country a floating island that will drift and float around the world and will have some great adventures. In the end it will become a pirate! Arrrr! 8-)

(*) SB is just small britain. Little britain. britain't.
haha, good luck, it sure is a fun ride. sadly tea doesn't burn when liquid.

SinSin

Yay just like Lost!.

It probably won't happen to be fair. Like what has already been said it's not a legally binding vote more a suggestion. I'm more concerned of the fact that we are being led by an unelected official (the exact thing brexiters voted to leave for).

Currently working on a project!

Radiant

So according to our news sites here, industrial production in the UK declined even faster than expected; Bank of England predicts economic decline; and consumer confidence has the biggest drop since 26 years. Lloyd's Bank has canceled 3000 jobs, WizzAir canceled its growth plans in the UK, and both agricultural and technological industries have expressed severe concerns.

Danvzare

What I want is another referendum. I want to see if everyone has suddenly changed their minds, now that they know they were lied to. (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 02/08/2016 11:33:59
What I want is another referendum. I want to see if everyone has suddenly changed their minds, now that they know they were lied to. (laugh)

It would be interesting to find out the result, but probably not worth the money to run it. The real damage is already done, whether Britain ends up exiting or not: the trust of the EU is now lost, probably forever. The EU will most likely never think of Britain as a real partner in anything ever again.

I made this example when talking with some British friends: It's like you heard some lies that your wife was having an affair and believed them, came home drunk, and said you wanted a divorce. Then the next day, sober, you realized it was all lies and tell her that you don't want a divorce after all. It's probably not going to be that easy...

Baron

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 07/08/2016 09:47:33
the trust of the EU is now lost, probably forever. The EU will most likely never think of Britain as a real partner in anything ever again.

Ah, but time heals all wounds.  It took exactly twelve years for Germany to go from apocalyptic war-monger to being a founding member of the EEC.  I'll bet Britain can manage cordial relations with its ex somewhat more quickly.

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Sun 07/08/2016 15:07:03
Quote from: Mandle on Sun 07/08/2016 09:47:33
the trust of the EU is now lost, probably forever. The EU will most likely never think of Britain as a real partner in anything ever again.

Ah, but time heals all wounds.  It took exactly twelve years for Germany to go from apocalyptic war-monger to being a founding member of the EEC.  I'll bet Britain can manage cordial relations with its ex somewhat more quickly.

Very good point...It's always good to not look at things in absolutes...

[delete}

Spoiler
But what to do when you come home drunk (as usual) while your wife is having an affair...  Also she insists to use Visionaire for adventure-making (wtf)
[close]

Danvzare

Quote from: Amélie on Sun 07/08/2016 18:14:39
But what to do when you come home drunk (as usual) while your wife is having an affair...
Ah that's ok. Sometimes you've got to let your wife be her own person and do her own thing.

Quote from: Amélie on Sun 07/08/2016 18:14:39
Also she insists to use Visionaire for adventure-making  (wtf)
8-0 That's unforgivable! She should be executed for such a heinous crime!
An instant divorce would be in order, and I wouldn't hold it against her husband to actually murder her. I'm sure the jury would be sympathetic as well. (nod)

Atelier

Bit late to the party but I have a couple of things to say about Brexit. This post is a bit introspective, because I voted to leave and would do so again, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I can't pin down exactly why that is my decision. I voted with my gut. I'd appreciate if someone could begin some kind of dialectic on this, I'm not explicitly trying to defend myself.

Quote from: Myinah on Fri 24/06/2016 23:52:43
Also well done to Wales who voted to leave but still want all the EU flood relief money they get!

The Wales vote still surprises me. In spite of the amount of EU funding the Valleys have received - entire town centres being transformed with EU money - and all of these areas voted to leave. I can only think it must be ignorance of where the money has come from.

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 25/06/2016 09:45:57
I'm most worried for all the people I know who come from various countries in Europe and live in Britain. This referendum has been a giant "screw you!" to them.

Sadly this is very true. It's strange actually, I arrived in Luxembourg on the evening of the 23rd June, one major seat of the Union, and woke up to my Austrian girlfriend crying about the result on the morning of the 24th. It was a strange feeling.

People may call me selfish or stupid for voting to leave when I had something so personal at stake. I only told her how I voted a few days after the referendum. She lives in the UK with me and obviously we are not certain of her status once we eventually leave. But despite this, for some reason I still voted to leave. It was certainly not through lack of care, or a personal slight against Europeans. Although I completely understand how it seems like a personal attack, and for some leave voters it was, but it certainly wasn't for me.

Over the next few days in Luxembourg I went sightseeing to the ECJ, and went into an EU information centre to talk to the people there, which I will come back to.

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 25/06/2016 09:45:57
The only way I can think of that this makes sense is if you think the EU is doomed anyway, and that it's better to get out now in a halfway orderly fashion than to be caught up in its collapse. Though if that comes true, it will be the very definition of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I feel that a 'preemptive' strike concerning the EU is at least in part behind my thinking. A long-term economic and monetary union is certainly possible; but I doubt an ever closer political union will ever be able to work in the long term. The problem with this thinking is that it is simply my gut feeling that it won't work, and that the end will be messy - the scale of the EU project has never been attempted before and so we have no yardstick of success or longevity for such a complex union. I could be completely wrong, but in the current state of affairs, I would be surprised if the EU lasts another 50 years, by which time I'll be 71.

As an aside, it has annoyed me that the elderly have been targeted for exercising their democratic rights and 'stealing' the future of the EU from the young voters. Young people tend to be stupid and naive. They don't know what they want and have not yet been disillusioned to how the world really works. Simply by virtue of time old people have more life experience and therefore can exercise greater foresight. Granted, a fair few are stuck-in-the muds!

But my granddad is over 80 and voted to remain with admirable caution for people's futures beyond his own life. I have heard first-hand people saying that old people should not be allowed to vote on such matters, and it upsets me that people would want to deny him his vote. Plainly it is the arrogance of youth.

Quote from: Mods on Sat 25/06/2016 14:33:46
I voted leave cos the EU made an irreversible decision in 2015 that negatively affected my business. It was a moment where I experienced a British law being surpassed by a European one, and it made me worse off. So fuck em. I consider most other reasons to be mainstream media influenced, borders, migration, gdp, and believe people should vote with respect to their actual lives and issues that personally affect them and "what the world wants" second.

Quote from: Mods on Sat 25/06/2016 14:33:46
I was always keeping remain in mind because as I say there are many strong reasons for it. But another turning point for me was an on the street interview with a woman giving her opinion on the EU. In the background was this homeless guy asking for change and of course londoners just strolling by ignoring. And it was that contrast between someone giving such a shit about the EU to a tv reporter and homeless people in the background not being given a shit about that made me realize we have so many of our own issues that need sorting first, whatever it takes.

I think these two things get to the heart of my views on the EU and Brexit. When I went to the EU information centre in Luxembourg, I had no idea of the strength of dedication and optimism towards the EU project on the mainland. I had a long conversation with the woman who worked there and she was genuinely sad about the result, she had been crying all morning. And I just couldn't picture myself ever getting emotional about the EU, or believing it was in any way an important feature of my life, in the sense that it was something tangible and visible to look up to as a unifying undertaking. It is a bold claim but I think it is fair to say, that even of the people who voted remain, in general they do not care half as much about the EU as the average Luxembourgian or Austrian. I'm certain that Brexit was always going to happen, because there is a fundamental ideological principle of togetherness that underpins the entire EU, which has not permeated the culture or psyche of the average UK citizen.

I am genuinely hopeful for a new chapter of my country outside of a union that I do not identify with. I think that a vote to leave by the 51.9% of people reveals a sense of optimism: the short term will definitely not be easy, it will be hard, but the optimism is for the future, and that is what we need right now.

Jack

Generally speaking, government gets worse the larger it gets, because the more power these public servants have, the less accountable they are, and the more that power can be abused for their own benefit.

To subject all the diverse peoples of a continent, or a planet, to a single monolithic and faceless, unelected government shows nothing but disrespect and disregard for that diversity. In the end this type of nonsense only benefits those in control of it.

And to find a scapegoat to blame for their sacrilegious beliefs is an all too common tool of divisive BS used by people who seek to conquer hearts and minds.

Danvzare

Quote from: Jack on Sat 01/10/2016 15:11:30
To subject all the diverse peoples of a continent, or a planet, to a single monolithic and faceless, unelected government shows nothing but disrespect and disregard for that diversity. In the end this type of nonsense only benefits those in control of it.
And since (almost) everyone wants world peace, everyone has unknowingly been wanting that single monolithic and faceless unelected government.
After all, if the whole world was ran by just one man (or group of men), there wouldn't be any wars between countries. Maybe civil wars, but only if the world wasn't repressive enough. (laugh)

Jack

Well, I think the people who assume that world government is a laudable goal unknowingly want that, but it's certainly possible to make the world a whole lot more peaceful and less exploitative than it is now without resorting to something as simplistic as world government. But yeah, the people who expect that peace to be absolute do generally want a big daddy/brother telling them what to do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk