To Berlin!

Started by WHAM, Wed 20/07/2016 09:54:52

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

My summer vacation has arrived and I am traveling to BERLIN on thursday and will be spending more than a week there!

I'm sure there has to be an AGSer or two from Berlin or at least Germany, so people: recommend stuff for me to see! Where should I go? What should I do? Where are the best schnitzels? Are there any good war museums in Berlin? Is the Zoo worth a visit? Tell me!

I'll be staying near the main railway station for the first couple of nights and might move around Berlin after that.

Heck, if you ARE in Berlin and want to meet up a fellow AGSer at some point, send a message my way!

-WHAM
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Cassiebsg

Enjoy your vacation! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Sinitrena

I'm from the south of Germany, unfortunately, but I love Berlin.

Can't help you with war museums specifically, but if you're intersted in German (jewish) history, there's the Jewish Museum, which I found interesting, albeit a bit depressing at times.

The Checkpoint Charlie Museum deals with the history of the Wall and escapes from the GDR. It's a rather small museum. It's been a few years since I was there, but if I remember correctly, you don't need more than one or two hours to walk through it and see everything.
In this regard, if you're interested in the Berlin Wall, there's a trail that leads around former West Berlin on the path of the Wall.

It is possible to visit the Reichstag building, seat of the german parliament, but I actually didn't find this particularly interesting (thought I mention it anyway).

For all things museum in Berlin, there is also the Museum Island, good for a rainy day. There are five museums right next to each other, so you can spent a whole day (or two or three) in just this small part of Berlin.

If you like castles, Charlottenburg Palace is pretty nice, I actually found it more beautiful than Versailles.

And while I'm at the topic of palaces, there's also Sanssouci in Potsdam. Potsdam is about 24 km from Berlin and easy to reach with public transport.
Also in Potsdam is Filmpark Babelsberg, a theme park that is connected with Babelsberg Studio.

That's all I can think of right now.

Have fun!

cat

The Computer Games Museum, of course! We've been there during Mittens.

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Thu 21/07/2016 09:14:08
The Computer Games Museum, of course! We've been there during Mittens.

That looks so awesome!!!

And it would be perfect revenge material on my wife for all the countless hours I've had to kill in shoe shops waiting for her! (laugh)

WHAM

Thanks for the ideas! Tomorrow I head out to museum island.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk