BACKGROUND BLITZ Get your gears going (RESULTS)

Started by Blondbraid, Tue 02/08/2016 17:17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

This BACKGROUND BLITZ will be about steampunk!

Steampunk, for those unfamiliar with the concept, is a blend between science fiction and fantasy with an Victorian aesthetic.
The style is mostly associated with but not limited to brass pipes and gears, old-timey goggles and steam-powered machinery.
I you need further inspiration on what to do and not to do, I recommend listening to this song!

I chose this theme because most of the steampunk illustrations I've seen have been of items and characters,
and I thought it would be fun to see more explorations of places and environments for a change,
be it the inside of an airship, an inventors laboratory, just a regular room with steampunk machinery,
anything you can think of as long as it has some steampunk elements incorporated.

Deadline is August 31st.

The top three contestants will get one of these trophys:

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 02/08/2016 17:17:47
I chose this theme because most of the steampunk illustrations I've seen have been of items and characters,
and I thought it would be fun to see more explorations of places and environments for a change,
be it the inside of an airship, an inventors laboratory, just a regular room with steampunk machinery,
anything you can think of as long as it has some steampunk elements incorporated.

Does it need to be animated, or can it be a still scene?

Blondbraid

It can be animated or a still still scene, as long as it fits the theme! :)

jwalt

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 02/08/2016 17:17:47
This BACKGROUND BLITZ will be about steampunk!

Steampunk, for those unfamiliar with the concept, is a blend between science fiction and fantasy with an Victorian aesthetic.

Not anything of mine, and not an entry, but might be inspirational in some fashion

Spoiler

First time I encountered an image of USS Choctaw (Civil War era), it struck me as the essence of steampunk.

[imgzoom]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Uss_choctaw_h55218.jpg/300px-Uss_choctaw_h55218.jpg[/imgzoom]

[close]

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 03/08/2016 15:43:30
It can be animated or a still still scene, as long as it fits the theme! :)

Good... well, I visited Google Images to find some ideas for a Steampunk scenario.  Dunno about a crap-ton of gears--that'd take FOREVER to do--but I did find some stuff that I hope fits the Steampunk theme.  I made some sketches and will work more on the BG when I can.

Blondbraid

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Wed 03/08/2016 22:13:59
Dunno about a crap-ton of gears--that'd take FOREVER to do--but I did find some stuff that I hope fits the Steampunk theme.
Well, steampunk doesn't have to have tons and tons of gears, it's just something that's become very closely associated with the genre.
However, one of the pitfalls to avoid is just adding random gears and brass parts to things with no purpose.
I linked to a funny song I found about this very problem, literally called Just Glue Some Gears On It (And Call It Steampunk)! ;)

Quote from: jwalt on Wed 03/08/2016 19:10:10
Not anything of mine, and not an entry, but might be inspirational in some fashion
Spoiler

First time I encountered an image of USS Choctaw (Civil War era), it struck me as the essence of steampunk.

[imgzoom]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Uss_choctaw_h55218.jpg/300px-Uss_choctaw_h55218.jpg[/imgzoom]

[close]
Great! Civil-war era armored warships and other victorian mechanichal veichles are a good starting point, how nice of you to post an image! ;-D
Personally, I'd recommend anyone curious to look up the works of author Jules Verne as well as some illustrations for his books.

DBoyWheeler

Well, here's my contest entry.  Instead of a crapton of gears, I put in SOMETHING of a Victorian era.  Basically, my lameass attempt at Victorian window frame style... and a Victorian style bookcase.  For something of a Steampunk decor, I included a woodstove and a really bulked door (I found some inspiration through Google Images).

Anyway, behold how I epic-fail at the Steampunk background genre.  :P  But at least I tried.  And sometimes all you can do is try.

jwalt

An entry:

[imgzoom]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/choc1png_zpswu8x6zth.png[/imgzoom]

Should probably keep working on it, but not sure I will.

Anim8or models, and Bryce render.

Grundislav

I just so happen to be working on backgrounds currently for a game I'm making which has steampunk elements.

I may post in here when I've finished the one I started on today.

SinSin

Currently working on a project!

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 04/08/2016 00:35:32
I linked to a funny song I found about this very problem, literally called Just Glue Some Gears On It (And Call It Steampunk)! ;)
Ha ha ha, that was a great song, and a funny one as well. It's true about how people think about steampunk as well. (laugh)

Personally (while I know this is probably flawed) I see steampunk as being a setting with a Victorian aesthetic, but with all of today's modern technology (and perhaps some yet to be invented technology such as robots and spaceships) running on steam and clockwork machinery.

There just isn't enough steampunk in the world. :~(

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 04/08/2016 10:27:48
Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 04/08/2016 00:35:32
Ha ha ha, that was a great song, and a funny one as well. It's true about how people think about steampunk as well. (laugh)

Personally (while I know this is probably flawed) I see steampunk as being a setting with a Victorian aesthetic, but with all of today's modern technology (and perhaps some yet to be invented technology such as robots and spaceships) running on steam and clockwork machinery.

There just isn't enough steampunk in the world. :~(
Totally agree on that! It's a shame som much fantasy just fall into the same old medieval-europe tropes when there are so many, many places and time-periods to draw inspiration from.

jwalt, Dboywheeler, you both have som nice entries!
I have been working on making trophy's myself:
A top hat with gold goggles for the winner.
A bowler hat with silver goggles for second place.
And a cap with bronze goggles for third place.

Hats with googles are nearly as an iconic symbol of steampunk as those big gears!

Mandle

I read The Difference Engine 20 years ago before I even knew the term steampunk or had seen Laputa and fell in love with both instantly...Something about the aesthetic just grabs me...

Grundislav

After you're done jaunting around having steampunk adventures, come down and have a pint, listen to some steam tech powered player piano or any of the live acts appearing nightly at the Crimson Cat.

EDIT: Went back and made it a bit more steampunky :)

Danvzare

Ooh, pretty.
That's a very detailed background. How on earth did you manage to make that within three days! 8-0

SinSin

Practice Danvzare, Grundislavs been doing it for years.. His making backgrounds is equivalent to anybody else making a sandwich (nod)

Anyways, What is the deadline!!
Currently working on a project!

Blondbraid

Oh my, that is a beautiful background, Grundislav! 8-0

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 05/08/2016 17:56:14
Oh my, that is a beautiful background, Grundislav! 8-0

It is!!!

It also has my vote already for playability: Just look at the vertical walkbehind on that door without being obvious about it...

The man knows how to plan a background through pain and effort...

DBoyWheeler

8-0
Dang, Grok!  Where'd you find the inspiration for THAT?!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk