MAGS August "Distance No Object" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Thu 04/08/2016 05:57:48

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

Played them all and voted :)
Thank to all the contestants for the great entries!

Slasher

Had a fun time and two of them stuck out the most by far..

I have cast my vote...

Thanks to everyone who entered (nod)

Funkpanzer

Great submissions everyone!

Banana Racer

Spoiler
The art style in this immediately got me into it. Reminded me a lot of Ralph Bakshi's drawings. The hit detection was hard to understand but if this was fleshed out into a full game I'd totally waste a good chunk of time on it based on the art style alone! Lovin' that dog surfin' the bow-wow! :cool: Was there any significance to the rock and lifesaver in the bottom corners? I didn't see any controls for them and couldn't figure out what they were for.
[close]

No Monkey's Banana

Spoiler
Very nice and polished monkey story generator! I played this last and had a hard time focusing but I could see this being really useful in a lot of places. It would be cool to see something like this used for branching storylines or generating NPC's in a gameworld. The game opened with "powered by ejaculate" and that alone kept me clicking. :sealed:
[close]

Dr. Muttonchop

Spoiler
I don't know why but prying those dentures out of the mounted pig and high-tailing it outta there was immensely satisfying. I ended up solving a lot of this out of trial and error but I also never felt like I wasn't doing the right thing. The only thing I missed was a bit more backstory on how you got there and who Muttonchop was. It might  be fun to introduce a time or stealth element with that main corridoor if you ever do an update but that's just me!
[close]

Rango

Spoiler
I always love when someone manages to tie up a complete story for MAGS, especially when it makes with the feels... I liked how every time I was thinking "No way!" the story would go there. I managed to save Rango's papa and after reading Mandle's review it was great to see that you actually do have a choice! Mandle, you've gotta let go of those grudges! :grin: Congrats on including the minigame (I think I may have missed the second one?) it really added to the tension and made me feel like I was actually involved.
[close]

Monkeys to the Moon

Spoiler
I ended up playing this the longest and was amazed by how much you guys did in a month. I really loved the look of this game, and the rate at which things unlocked was perfect and kept me playing. The thing that kept me from finishing a playthrough was the resource and monkey management and I had a lot of trouble knowing what the mouse would select when I'd click. The music was also a bit repetitive; it totally fit the game but five minutes in I wanted to hear a different loop or at least be able to turn it down a bit.
[close]

xBRANEx

I finally played them all!

Banana Racer:
Spoiler
I think this game looks awesome, it definitely is the best looking game of the MAGS. I had a little bit of fun with it and would like to see some levels or anything else that would change the game a little. (Or maybe there are levels and I just didn't played good enough?
[close]

Dr. Muttonchop
Spoiler
This game is just has too much of that unfinished feel. I think we would have a good game if it was a little bit more developed.
[close]

No Monkey's Banana
Spoiler
This one is great. It just needs a little bit of more content so that it takes longer for it to repeat itself.
[close]

Monkeys to the Moon
Spoiler
A winner for me! A great game indeed! I haven't played it as much as I would like but it was awesome. The music is great too. The way it used the theme is also great with the moon as a banana.
[close]

VampireWombat

Funkpanzer
Spoiler
I'm glad to hear that the denture removal was so satisfying for you.
I would have liked to provided more back story and other things, but due to time restraints and Murphy's Law, I had to go minimalist with many things.
I plan to at least update and expand some things about the game this fall/winter. And I might even make a series out of the games.
[close]

xBRANEx
Spoiler

Unfortunately, there's very good reasons it had an unfinished feel. Due to things happening, 90% of it was done in 2 days. Then add in the fact that I hadn't been using AGS for the last 2 years and was having to re-learn everything. So, yeah. It is very much unfinished. But thanks for saying it would be good if it was more developed.
[close]

arj0n

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Fri 09/09/2016 22:01:01
Spoiler
Was there any significance to the rock and lifesaver in the bottom corners? I didn't see any controls for them and couldn't figure out what they were for.
[close]

Spoiler

The rock and the titanic lifesaver were added for decoration pupose.
Otherwise the bottom part of the screen seemed a bit dull to me ;)
[close]

Retro Wolf

Good work guys, I've cast my vote! I promise my next game won't be so half-arsed. ;)

Stupot

Two more days to cast your votes, folks. Thanks for the votes so far but a few more would be great, if you can. :-*

VampireWombat

I've played all of the games a few minutes, but not enough to fairly vote yet.
I'll make it a point to play all of them a bit more later today so I can do so.

Cassiebsg

Uhm... guess I better get starting playing these... Slasher is already done with his entry for the next MAGS and I have yet to race more than a couple buggy bananas... (roll) (laugh)

EDIT: Okay managed to play them all... though not finish.

Banana Racer
Spoiler

Really nice little game, that with the added bonus of a score makes it fun to play just so you can break your previous record! (nod)
Great graphics too!
[close]

No Monkey's Banana
Spoiler

Great piece of coding and generating monkeys and random story... could be great for NPC generation (if having NPCs talking nonse is something we would want! (laugh))
[close]

Muttonchop
Spoiler

Took me a while to realize I wasn't actually going to control that character on the hover-board and that it was a 1st game... (laugh)
Puzzles were simple and at no point I had trouble solving them (well, picking up that mop was hard work! at one point I thought I couldn't grab it). Looking forward to a more polished version.
[close]

Rango
Spoiler

Oh I so wanted to vote for this one! But that mini-game is killing me! It's by far my favourite of the lot!
Suggestion: Add a counter and after a certain number of failed attempts, either ask the player if they need "help and by making it easier" or gradually decrease the level of difficulty, by either making the sliders slower, the red areas bigger or both... I'm not sure I have the patience to continue trying to be honest. :~(
[close]

Monkeys To The Moon
Spoiler

This ends up being my vote for the lot, even though I haven't finished it yet.
Cool concept, story, graphics, music and execution. Perfect in every way! Or almost... the tutorial tells met to add torches to keep the snakes away... but how do I make torches? (roll)
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

I'm gonna play the last 2 entries that I've missed so far today...Please don't close voting just yet...

Radiant

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 14/09/2016 18:27:24how do I make torches? (roll)
There's a torchery which makes them. Creating buildings frequently unlocks other buildings.

VampireWombat

Cassiebsg:
Spoiler

Yeah, unfortunately I had to make it 1st person to be able to get it finished in time. One of the things I plan to do when I can update it is to make it 3rd person.
And yeah, the mop was a pain. I'm planning to transfer the game use the verb coin interface. Technical issues kept me from using it on the current version.
[close]

Mandle

I finally played the last two games and, as it took way longer to do than expected I'm going to repost all feedback here again, as I think that's what all devs are most interested in, despite the final vote:

(Everything is hidden in SPOILER ALERTS to avoid ruining anything for anyone)

Rango:
Spoiler

WOW! You play a little monkey kid who has no idea that evil influences are encrouching on his innocent world:

I was soooo saying "NO NO NO!!! DON'T LET IT BE SO!!!" every time mommy monkey was toning down the serious condition of daddy monkey...

I really wanted to save his life...

But...I'm still not sure if that's possible or not...the game crashed during the last scene...I still don't know if I could have saved daddy...But probably not considering how long the game cut to the totally black screen...

Puzzles are simple but nice...you need to pay attention to the environment but it doesn't enter into the annoying "pixel-hunting" category...

Also: Awesome animations when solving certain puzzles...

The mini-game(s) were a VERY nice feature: The first one really frustrated me, but I felt SO good when I nailed it so total forgiveness factor there...

The second one: I just randomly clicked and solved it...I'm not even sure what I was trying to do...I think I was supposed to be balancing the monkey on the vine...But there was not a lot of feedback from the game that made that the obvoius goal...Or maybe I just got lucky and through repeated attempts at the mini-game the player would figure out the mechanics...

(I played the game with a Japanese pre-school student (4 years old) at my school and she actually learnt the term: "Mini-game" after I said "It has mini-games! AWESOME!" during the vine throwing game...When the vine-sliding mini-game came up she said: "Mini-game!!!"...which blew me totally out of the water at how well a four-year-old could recognize game structure...)

Very nice game, and also congratz on releasing two within the same month!!!
[close]

Monkeys To The Moon:
Spoiler

HOLY CHRIST!!!

A resource-gathering mechanical survival game in AGS!!!

Forget Factorio:

BANANATORIO FTW!!!

I haven't managed to finish the game yet, but I was stunned at how much there is to do, how well the interface works, how intuitive the game mechanics are, and how complicated the game gets after you birth 2 or 3 extra monkeys, and I believe you can attempt to control 25 total: WOOF!

This game is a tribute to how well and simply a game can work if the author really thinks out the coding structure ahead of time...

It probably also helps if you're the dude that created Heroine's Quest and have the know-how from that under your belt!

Seriously though: I'm going to be playing the absolute SHIT out of this game when I have the time!
[close]

Banana Racer:
Spoiler
I played the fixed and updated version, and it's a blast!!! Love the graphics, the music, and the charming animation of our heroes getting eaten by a shark! A feeling of accomplishment upon reaching a new level would have been nice, but yeah: It's MAGS...
[close]

No Monkey's Banana:
Spoiler

The impossible-to-live-up-to hype surrounding the release of "No Man's Banana" has surely damaged the sales of the game...

While many were expecting an unlimited open-world experience of a screen full of infinitely variable monkeys, what we instead received was the watered-down product of one monkey and their backstory at a time...

Players soon realised that the game was going to get repetitive and be just about farming one background story after the next...

The backlash against the creator has reached intense levels, including death threats, and the flinging of poo...

Spoiler
Seriously though...great madlibs feel...It would be awesome if you could make the game a two-player hotseat experience where player one chooses options to branch the monkey's background story, and then player two (who was looking away) chooses the nouns, verbs, and adjectives to fill in the missing words blind to the story: This could become an instant classic for kid's sleepovers and summer camps etc...Just needs to cut the adult bits...
[close]
[close]

Dr. Muttonchops:
Spoiler
A wellishly done game from a new dev...The game suffers from no exposition: We have no idea who we are or even where we are when the game opens...I thought we were the obvious main, titicular character visible on the screen and had some frustrating moments attempting to move around...

However: a lot of love was put into some of the graphics...

I think it's a great game for the developer to look back fondly on years later after they have learned more of their craft and smile at with a whimsical shake of the head...
[close]

My vote:
Spoiler

In the end I must cast my vote for Monkeys To The Moon: It's a complex and brilliantly coded RTS of the type I personally love and can't wait until I have more time to play it fully...
[close]

Stupot

The monkeys have spoken and the bananas are as follows:

• No Monkey's Banana by Retro Wolf - 0 votes
• Dr. Muttonchop by VampireWombat - 0 votes
• Banana Racer by arj0n - 0 votes
• Rango by xBRANEx - 4 votes
• Monkeys to the Moon by Crystal Shard - 6 votes

Well done Radiant and co. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for October.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Radiant

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 16/09/2016 00:34:08
• Monkeys to the Moon by Crystal Shard - 6 votes

Well done Radiant and co. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for October.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Yay! Thank you for your support! Ook!

cat

Great games everyone, but only 10 votes in total? Did no one play the games or could people just not decide which they liked best?

Stupot

I was actually expecting a worse turn-out considering we had only one vote in the first week.
I myself couldn't vote either as I've only had time to play two of them so far.

Mandle

I really wanted to create a fake AGS profile and vote for Rango as well...but it was too unethical...And also I was too lazy...

Retro Wolf

Congratulations Radiant!

@Cat: I've noticed the voting turnout is always low for MAGs! :(
@Mandle: I enjoyed your fake review! :-D I'd like to make a kids game one day, it's on the great to-do list! (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk