MAGS August "Distance No Object" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Thu 04/08/2016 05:57:48

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

Good luck on your game, VW. Really hope you can release it within time! (nod)

xBRANEx

Quote from: arj0n on Wed 31/08/2016 17:56:58
Lovely little game, xBRANEx.

Thanks!

About the puzzle:
Spoiler
Did you make sure that the sliders end up on the red part?
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: arj0n on Wed 31/08/2016 18:06:24
Good luck on your game, VW. Really hope you can release it within time! (nod)
Thanks. It depends on what the official time zone is. I'm about 98% as done as it's going to get for this version. I only have a couple of things left that I'm aware of. So, it should be 30 minutes to an hour. Unless Murphy's Law kicks in.

arj0n

Don't worry about the time zone, as far as I know the deadline isn't that strict.
And if really needed, you can always get in contact with the host and try to get a deadline-extension.
But you're at 98%, seems you're gonna make it, yeey!

arj0n

Quote from: xBRANEx on Wed 31/08/2016 18:25:18
About the puzzle:
Spoiler
Did you make sure that the sliders end up on the red part?
[close]

Spoiler

Yes, but still fail to do a proper toss...
[close]

EDIT:
Yeey,
Spoiler
after 42 attempts I made it to the other side
[close]

Drat
Spoiler
now I keep falling. I think it's me, sucking at such arcade-ish puzzles. Sorry...
[close]

EDIT2:
OK, that only took 7 times :)

Finished the game, sweet game and: what a beautiful outro. Well done.
And thanx for adding 'On turning ten' to the package ;)

VampireWombat

As far as I can tell, everything works. Murphy's Law kicked in and every method I tried for the beginning and end didn't work, except for using the whole screen as a hotspot.
But it should be fully playable. And only has one glitch I'm aware of, which is a minor one.
Since it's my first finished game with AGS and I've beat the deadline, I'm okay with these things. lol

Once you make it to the end, make sure to keep clicking on the screen to get the full ending.

Enjoy:

Dr. Muttonchop

Spoiler

[imgzoom]http://i66.tinypic.com/34yqvk3.jpg[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://i67.tinypic.com/1xx5x5.jpg[/imgzoom]
[close]

Dr. Muttonchop and monkey design by Hegei.
Everything else by VampireWombat.

arj0n

Gratz you made it, VW!

Q:
Spoiler

I have the 3 disguise items (eyes-with-moustache, jack, id batch, mop and an item from the desk (can't remember it's name, there's no look-at option in the inv.bar) But how do I wear the disguise?
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: arj0n on Wed 31/08/2016 21:46:48
Gratz you made it, VW!

Q:
Spoiler

I have the 3 disguise items (eyes-with-moustache, jack, id batch, mop and an item from the desk (can't remember it's name, there's no look-at option in the inv.bar) But how do I wear the disguise?
[close]
Thanks.

Spoiler

Actually, I couldn't think of a way to equip the items with the way things currently are, so you just have to have the items in your inventory. And the letter opener isn't a disguise item, it's used to get another.
And I really thought you could look at the items once they were in your inventory. Oops.
Edit: Updated the game. All items should be able to be looked at.
[close]

arj0n

VW, I think I finished it
Spoiler
that is if the black screen is the end ;)
[close]

Nice little game!
Would have helped if
Spoiler
the cursors and items would have a little cross-hair. It's sometimes really hard to find the exact interaction spot... Maybe you can still add that? It's only a small adjustment but also a huge improvement :)
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: arj0n on Wed 31/08/2016 22:00:58
VW, I think I finished it
Spoiler
that is if the black screen is the end ;)
[close]

Nice little game!
Would have helped if
Spoiler
the cursors and items would have a little cross-hair. It's sometimes really hard to find the exact interaction spot... Maybe you can still add that? It's only a small adjustment but also a huge improvement :)
[close]
Spoiler

Well, there is still text after that. Every method I tried to get it to appear automatically failed, so you have to click to get it.

Thanks. I will see what I can do about that, as well as changing some of the default cursors.
Also, I didn't even notice until today that it doesn't show the names of the items when you move your cursor over them. I blame it on the fact that my previous experience had been using the 9 Verb template.
[close]

Retro Wolf

For my entry Selmiak gave me a cool idea with what to do with that head generator, I had another cool idea. But then I took the easy way out and made this silly little thing:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2085/
There's a mirror if GJ won't work for you.

Radiant

Monkeys to the MOON!

With just 007 seconds to spare on the clock, Radiant and team send in their entry! Many thanks to faithful companion Elissa for the artwork, and to Luis for the music.

• More Monkeys! Control up to 25 of the little critters! Ook indeed!
  • More Banana! Would you believe the MOON is a banana? Well, the monkeys do! And they're not going to take that lying down!
  • More Time and Space! Funny you should mention space... how else would you get to the bananoon than by building a ROCKET?
  • Pore Transport! Let's see, we've got wood, some eels, patches of reed... yep, prime rocket material all around!
Oh, and there's snakes in the grass, too. How fast can YOU build?

arj0n

Ohhh, more goodies to play for tomorrow!

Gratz RW & Radiant.

Stupot

Oh dang. This somehow turned into a MAGS bonanza.

A giant banananza!

(FYI the deadline is offucially 11:59 BST (which is 8am for me in Japan - I an generally flexible unless I have something to do in the afternoon)

Mandle

There seem to be an infinite number of monkeys in this thread who want to talk to us about these AGS games they've worked out...

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Banana Racer by arj0n
Rango by xBRANEx
Dr. Muttonchop by VampireWombat
No Monkey's Banana by Retro Wolf
Monkeys to the Moon by Crystal Shard

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS AUGUST

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: September 15th

xBRANEx

I'll play them all this weekend.

Good luck to everyone!

(This month's MAGSAN release made me realize I've put out two games this month! That seemed impossible to me just few months before)

Slasher

Quite a number this month.

I will play them all....

Great work lads and good luck to you all (nod)

Mandle

This post is a work in progress as I have not played everything yet:

(Everything is hidden in SPOILER ALERTS to avoid ruining anything for anyone)

Rango:
Spoiler

WOW! You play a little monkey kid who has no idea that evil influences are encrouching on his innocent world:

I was soooo saying "NO NO NO!!! DON'T LET IT BE SO!!!" every time mommy monkey was toning down the serious condition of daddy monkey...

I really wanted to save his life...

But...I'm still not sure if that's possible or not...the game crashed during the last scene...I still don't know if I could have saved daddy...But probably not considering how long the game cut to the totally black screen...

Puzzles are simple but nice...you need to pay attention to the environment but it doesn't enter into the annoying "pixel-hunting" category...

Also: Awesome animations when solving certain puzzles...

The mini-game(s) were a VERY nice feature: The first one really frustrated me, but I felt SO good when I nailed it so total forgiveness factor there...

The second one: I just randomly clicked and solved it...I'm not even sure what I was trying to do...I think I was supposed to be balancing the monkey on the vine...But there was not a lot of feedback from the game that made that the obvoius goal...Or maybe I just got lucky and through repeated attempts at the mini-game the player would figure out the mechanics...

(I played the game with a Japanese pre-school student (4 years old) at my school and she actually learnt the term: "Mini-game" after I said "It has mini-games! AWESOME!" during the vine throwing game...When the vine-sliding mini-game came up she said: "Mini-game!!!"...which blew me totally out of the water at how well a four-year-old could recognize game structure...)

Very nice game, and also congratz on releasing two within the same month!!!
[close]

Monkeys To The Moon:
Spoiler

HOLY CHRIST!!!

A resource-gathering mechanical survival game in AGS!!!

Forget Factorio:

BANANATORIO FTW!!!

I haven't managed to finish the game yet, but I was stunned at how much there is to do, how well the interface works, how intuitive the game mechanics are, and how complicated the game gets after you birth 2 or 3 extra monkeys, and I believe you can attempt to control 25 total: WOOF!

This game is a tribute to how well and simply a game can work if the author really thinks out the coding structure ahead of time...

It probably also helps if you're the dude that created Heroine's Quest and have the know-how from that under your belt!

Seriously though: I'm going to be playing the absolute SHIT out of this game when I have the time!
[close]

Banana Racer:
Spoiler
I played the fixed and updated version, and it's a blast!!! Love the graphics, the music, and the charming animation of our heroes getting eaten by a shark! A feeling of accomplishment upon reaching a new level would have been nice, but yeah: It's MAGS...
[close]

No Monkey's Banana:
Spoiler

The impossible-to-live-up-to hype surrounding the release of "No Man's Banana" has surely damaged the sales of the game...

While many were expecting an unlimited open-world experience of a screen full of infinitely variable monkeys, what we instead received was the watered-down product of one monkey and their backstory at a time...

Players soon realised that the game was going to get repetitive and be just about farming one background story after the next...

The backlash against the creator has reached intense levels, including death threats, and the flinging of poo...

Spoiler
Seriously though...great madlibs feel...It would be awesome if you could make the game a two-player hotseat experience where player one chooses options to branch the monkey's background story, and then player two (who was looking away) chooses the nouns, verbs, and adjectives to fill in the missing words blind to the story: This could become an instant classic for kid's sleepovers and summer camps etc...Just needs to cut the adult bits...
[close]
[close]

Dr. Muttonchops:
Spoiler
A wellishly done game from a new dev...The game suffers from no exposition: We have no idea who we are or even where we are when the game opens...I thought we were the obvious main, titicular character visible on the screen and had some frustrating moments attempting to move around...

However: a lot of love was put into some of the graphics...

I think it's a great game for the developer to look back fondly on years later after they have learned more of their craft and smile at with a whimsical shake of the head...
[close]

My vote:
Spoiler

In the end I must cast my vote for Monkeys To The Moon: It's a complex and brilliantly coded RTS of the type I personally love and can't wait until I have more time to play it fully...
[close]

Stupot

One week of voting to go. We're gonna need more votes, guys. Only one so far. (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk