Reveal anonymous AGS user stats

Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 15/08/2016 22:25:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Few years back we were trying out if the anonymous information feature still works in the Editor:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48339.0

It is still in the program, and debugging tells that server still returns positive answer (positive in the sense that the addressed page at least exists). However neither of the developers, let alone other people, have a way to see the gathered data, which makes it mostly useless.

For those who do not know, AGS sends, and server database is supposed to store following data:

- OS name and version;
- .NET Framework version installed (most high version, I think);
- Version of AGS Editor being used;
- Current resolution of your primary display;
- IP address server received data from;
- Current date & time.

AGS sends this info about once in a month, unless you disable this by unchecking an option in Editor's Preferences.

Now, other than IP address these values held no private information, and could potentially be very insteresting to know, at least for developers.

So, my two questions are:
1) Does the database still work (is this info actually gathered, and not just discarded)?
2) Is it potentially possible to print the database query somewhere on the website?
The raw content won't be very convenient, but something like following tables:
- Count of each operating system in defined date range (I dunno, 2-4 years, for instance);
- Count of each version of AGS used in same date range;
- Count of each display resolution type.

Peder 🚀

Looking in the DB it doesn't look like it's been storing any data since 13th of May 2010, I'm sure AGA should be able to tell you why and if it can be re-added etc.

AGA

Quote from: Peder on Tue 16/08/2016 17:30:25
Looking in the DB it doesn't look like it's been storing any data since 13th of May 2010, I'm sure AGA should be able to tell you why and if it can be re-added etc.

Er, no...  There are 187141 entries in the table, most recent made 2016-08-16 21:31:36.  There was a gap of a few years at one point, but I got it working again a while ago when CW mentioned it.

And I already linked CW to a reporting tool.  Doesn't do much atm, but this is what you asked for last time!  Give me a while and I'll add the other stuff you mentioned.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGA on Tue 16/08/2016 21:38:28
And I already linked CW to a reporting tool.  Doesn't do much atm, but this is what you asked for last time!  Give me a while and I'll add the other stuff you mentioned.
Hey, this is very nice! I really did not remember about this link. Maybe I just lost it and forgot that it existed.

EDIT: Hmm, thinking about that, since this information is sent periodically from same user, the numbers do not really give accurate picture (larger numbers could be either because of small number of users using same version for long time, or large number of users using it for short time).
I think grouping by IP too can make it more clear. Sorry, I mean, checking same IP/version pair only once. Or is it the same thing? I did not do SQL for a while.

Peder 🚀

Oh weird.. I only got up to what date I said when I looked in there.. Then again I didn't really look that closely..

Gurok

Something to note when looking at operating system counts: the editor can't detect Windows versions newer than Windows 8 and I believe the friendly names outputted by the editor stop at Windows 7.

Regarding detection, Microsoft made the API call the editor uses obsolete. It will continue to work for Windows < 8.1. A different API call along with a manifest file is needed to obtain info about versions > 8, but not knowing much about manifesty things, I've left it alone.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk