AdventureX 2016 - 19th & 20th November

Started by Ali, Wed 31/08/2016 14:25:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

AdventureX will be returning to London on the 19th & 20th of November. Hooray!

We have launched a Kickstarter Campaign to help AdventureX keep growing. Please share the campaign support us if you can:

If you're not aware, AdventureX is the UK's only convention dedicated to narrative-driven gaming. Now in its 6th year, AdventureX is a free event bringing together developers & gamers with a passion for interactive storytelling. AdventureX was founded by Mark Lovegrove (m0ds). This year it is being run by Tom Cole (theSynapse) Rebecca McCarthy (Azure) and me. (Mark is busy developing, so please don't email him with questions about exhibiting at AdventureX! Contact us here instead.)

Previous guest speakers include:

• Charles Cecil (Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky)
  • Dave Gilbert (The Blackwell Series)
  • Jon Ingold (80 Days, Sorcery!)
  • Steve Ince (The Witcher, So Blonde)
  • Mark Estdale (Telltale's Game of Thrones, Deponia)
  • Dr. Ernest Adams (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl)

Applications for exhibitors / speakers / panellists are now open:

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at AdventureX 2016!

cat

CaptainD

I hope to be able to make it this year.  Hope all goes swimmingly whether I can or not! ;-D

Azure

It's good to be able to start promoting this.
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

LimpingFish

Hurrah! Every year I hope to be able to finally get to attend one of these. Will it be this year? Will it?!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

xil

Love the character designs :)

Looking forward to hopefully making it this year but will definitely be backing you on Kickstarter either way!
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Peder 🚀

I had an issue with the website when first accessing it.. After reloading a few times though it seems to have corrected itself and now seems to work OK. (menu and styling messed up).

The change of date to November is highly welcomed! I'm hoping to come this year!

Ali

I hope you all make it too!

Peder - I've had the same issue with the website a couple of times in the last few days. If any web/wordpress experts have any tips on what might cause the styling to mess up every so often, please send me a message!

AGA

It has loading bars, which is a bit web 2.0... For such a small, simple page it's a tad overkill.

m0ds

Great stuff! And you know the little characters tickle me pink :) It's true, I want to get on with game development. Publishing and event organization are side-quests I feel a bit entrenched in lately, radiant quests that never end. So it's brilliant that Tom, becky and ali will embrace it and breathe fresh life into it, and that you guys and gals will continue to support it as you always have! Looking forward to the launch of the KS :)

Ali

AGA: I was in two minds about the loading bar. That one is easily fixed!

Mark has reminded me: as well as Screen7 supporting the Kickstarter, Fictiorama Studios, Wadjet Eye Games, Rumpus Animation, The Game Kitchen, Skygoblin, Adventure Mob, CBE Software, Owl Cave Games and Infamous Quests have also got behind it. And Adventure-Treff and Revolution Software have kindly provided us with footage for the pitch video. Thanks guys!

Andail

Cool, will try to be there (me and Joel hope to turn up with something to show), and will contribute to the KS as well.

Eggie

Arg, I want to be there properly this time, not just slink up at the pub afterwards then awkwardly shuffle off.
I'll definitely be pitching in to the Kickstarter too.

xandmatt

This sounds ace! Hope I can make it....

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Ali

The Kickstarter Campaign is now live:
Back AdventureX 2016 on Kickstarter!

And Applications for exhibitors / speakers / panellists are now open:
Apply Now!

Azure

Chicky

How AdventureXcellent!

I've pledged and it looks like lots of other people have already too!

Although development on GuardDuty has slowed to a halt again, I hope to bring along something to show ;-D

Also Mark best be attending, even if he's not organising this year (nod)

Grundislav

I have pledged!

Though I sadly won't be able to make it this year, I wish you all the best and am eager to see the conference continue to grow.

Azure

Sad to see you can't make it Grunislav, :( thanks for pledging.

I hope as many AGS folks come as possible ( and don't forget to apply to speak or exhibit!)

yamipanda

Stupot

Congrats on making the target already :-D

Ali

Thanks guys!  We've just hit our first stretch goal (Live Stream).

And don't forget to apply if you have a game you'd like to share: www.adventurexpo.org/apply

Incidentally, according to our hosting servive, the website's intermittent problem is due to too much simultaneous traffic. We might have the money to upgrade after the Kickstarter, but at that point we probably won't have high traffic any more. What a dilemma! If you have any problems with the styling, refreshing the browser should work.

Dave Gilbert

Just booked my hotel/flight! I'm staying at the Mercure again. See you all there.

Peder 🚀

Isn't the closest Mercure like 20 minutes away from the venue by car? :O

Grundislav

Azure

The hotel seems to have changed name/owner it's this one:
http://www.amoma.com/hotel.php?key=20161118201611211105000000500000050000111112625&id=390896&page_num=0&count=0&hotelname=&f_ref=ar=00000

I've not booked via this site before, but it seems the cheapest and includes breakfast in some cases. I wanted to book today but of all the luck my boss is off work :~(

WHAM

Aww crud. I feel bad since I can't make it in person. Maybe next year, then. Have a great event, everyone! :)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Azure on Thu 08/09/2016 10:07:44
The hotel seems to have changed name/owner it's this one:
http://www.amoma.com/hotel.php?key=20161118201611211105000000500000050000111112625&id=390896&page_num=0&count=0&hotelname=&f_ref=ar=00000

Well that is for sure a lot closer :P (one of the closest in fact)
Thanks for giving me the heads up, I could've ended up booking a room in the other one :=

Azure

@Peder Glad I caught you, I skimmed past the thread a few times then realised :grin:

Update: That travel site I linked has got dodgy reviews this is the hotel's website http://www.thegreenwichlondon.com/

yamipanda

I stayed at the Mercure last year. It's a really nice hotel, though a bit pricey. This year we're staying here: http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-greenwich.html

Privateer Puddin'

Good timing on the hotel talk. See you guys at AdventureX!

Matt Frith

Booked a room at the former Mercure. See you soon!

Azure

I'm at the ex-Mercure too. Hope to see some more talk submissions from people too. :smiley:

Azure

We're still looking for talk applications! I think AGS certainly needs proper representation, I'd love some more tutorial talks, or wider AGS game/design talks. Application form here:
http://www.adventurexpo.org/apply/

cat

Pledged and booked flight/hotel!
I'm staying at the Premier Inn again.

Miez

Pledged too! I'm still looking into a hotel. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

JSH

Alright, me and Andail are now booked at the quasi-mercure too! We'll arrive on friday evening and leave on monday morning :)

Dave Gilbert

I arrive Thursday morning. Leave Tuesday afternoon. See you all there.

Azure

Arriving on Friday sometime, departing Monday. It's looking amazing this year, I can't wait until we can make some announcements 8-)

Azure

Ali

Azure beat me to it. But here's a breakdown of the folk will be variously speaking, taking part in panels and exhibiting new games at the event:

And John Robertson will be performing the critically-acclaimed live-action videogame The Dark Room. "This is the future of gaming" - Ron Gilbert. (See below.)

[embed=640,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpAiW6uy_iY[/embed]

We're still accepting applications for talks and exhibitors, so please share the campaign. We're particularly interested in walking simulators / visual novels and other narrative games that don't fit into the conventional point-and-click mould.

We're also working up to our final stretch goal, so if you can, please knock us up a notch. (Bam.)

Ali

Just a little bump to remind you that our Kickstarter is in its final 48 hours.

We're working towards our final stretch goal - seed funding for 2017, because we want AdventureX to keep growing and getting better. If around we can just find 15-20 more backers, we can make that happen. So if you've been waiting for an opportunity to show your support, now would be the perfect time.

I'm very excited by the special guests who've agreed to join us, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of you there!

cat

Adventure Treff is better informed than we are here - the schedule is up:

http://www.adventurexpo.org/schedule/

Azure

Sorry Cat we literally released the schedule at 11pm last night. We haven't had time to update various threads etc.

cat

That's why I did it :)

There are some interesting talks I'm looking forward to hear.

Ali

Thanks for posting that, Cat. There are also full breakdowns of the talks by Rebecca (Azure) here:
http://www.adventurexpo.org/sat-19th-guide/
http://www.adventurexpo.org/sun-20th-guide/

Also, in case you missed it, we are looking for game trailers to play on the livestream (and possibly on screens at the event). All the details are here:
http://www.adventurexpo.org/want-narrative-game-trailers/

By the way, if you have any questions you'd like us to put to the panellists, now would be a great time to suggest them!

cat

Is anyone up for meeting at a pub (or the bar of the Ex-Mercure or the Premier Inn) on Friday evening?

Dave Gilbert

I'm down. I remember the pub being super crowded last year on Friday night. The hotel bar seems like a better choice.

selmiak

this is so soon and I'm so broke! Wish you all a great time there :)

Will there be a livestream? On the advX website or maybe even on twitch for some chatter for the ppl not there in person.

Miez

QuoteI'm down. I remember the pub being super crowded last year on Friday night. The hotel bar seems like a better choice.

Yeah, either of the hotel bars sounds like a good plan!

Dave Gilbert

Shall we do the hotel-formally-known-as-Mercure bar? Seems to be where most people are staying.

If anyone is around Thursday night and wants to hang out, give me a shout. Having something to do on Thursday night will help me get over jetlag!

Privateer Puddin'

I'll probably miss you guys on Friday night (unless you're in the bar till late..) since I'm going to see Book of Mormon. Anyone heading over together on Saturday morning?

Peder 🚀

I would've loved to, sadly I don't arrive until the morning on Saturday just in time for the beginning of the event.

Andail

Me and Joel will be there Friday night, ready to hit the bar :=

Btw, as WOAM is still in its infancy, we plan to wait for next year before showing any trailers and/or demos, in case anyone was wondering.

cat

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 16/11/2016 14:07:29
Shall we do the hotel-formally-known-as-Mercure bar?

See you there on Friday!

Azure

Meeting at the hotel bar sounds  good! I am staying there as well. Heads up that we've rented out a different pub on the Sat so don't go to the New Cross Inn! Livestream is at: http://www.adventurexpo.org/livestream/

Peder 🚀

Is anyone planning on recording the talks etc this year? :)

Chicky

Heyy, how late is *too* late to submit trailers? I might knock something together as I've got an evening free on Friday, but most of you will already be drunk in London by then ;)

Ali

I'm afraid the deadline for trailers has passed. If people still want to send more we will try our best, but we can't guarantee we'll be able to show them.

cat

Bring it on your tablet and show it to everyone. This way you would also get immediate feedback :)

theSynapse

There will be a livestream via twitch this year, so yes you can join us that way.

Peder 🚀

If that's in answer to my question theSynapse, I'll be there in person ;). But I was toying with the idea of recording it, but it's too late now to get all the equipment together..

Ali

Don't worry, Peder. I will be filming stuff and Adventure-Treff plan to record all the talks. We'll also be archiving the twitch feed.

theSynapse

Quote from: Peder on Thu 17/11/2016 18:31:12
If that's in answer to my question theSynapse, I'll be there in person ;). But I was toying with the idea of recording it, but it's too late now to get all the equipment together..

I know that! :-) I thought you were asking on behalf of others!

But yeah, what Ali said!

Peder 🚀

Matt Frith

I've checked into The Greenwich hotel,aka mercure. :)

Dave Gilbert

I've been here since yesterday! Meet in the lobby bar at 8ish?

shaun9991

Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Miez

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 18/11/2016 16:15:16
I've been here since yesterday! Meet in the lobby bar at 8ish?

Excellent plan. I'll be there if I can find the Greenwich Hotel. I'm in the Premier Inn myself...

Matt Frith

I am in the ex mercure bar now if anyone is bored.

Dave Gilbert

Stupot

Have a good time everyone. Keep us up-to-date. ;-D

xandmatt

Can't be there in person due to a three-and-a-half-hour journey to London and having evenings plans - but I'll be watching the Live Stream on the site.

Jack

This is awesome. I can't be there, but because of the stream I kinda feel like I am.

Chicky

Had a bit of a mad morning, finally here but the venue is at full capacity? I really didn't see that coming...

Is there any space for one more oldie? :-\

*edit: Drama over :)

Peder 🚀

Is the AGSers staying at the greenwich (aka mercure) having breakfast at the hotel? :) AGSer breakfast table?? ^^

Peder 🚀

Ended up leaving early today, but really enjoyed all of yesterday and the little I experienced today :).
Well done AdventureX team!

Jack

That was great. Thank you to everyone who put work in on this.

My favourites were The Art of Comedy in Games, Moral Choices: Consequence and Responsibility, and I had to reconsider my current game after Charles Cecil's insightful comments on melodrama during the Writing for Games panel.

The Dark Room was also tons of fun, even though I wasn't there. (KHAAAAAAN!!!)

Oh yes, and the unintentional joystick joke had me in stitches.

Grundislav

Indeed, I watched some of the livestream live and am now working my way though the archived bits. Thanks so much for providing a way to be there without physically being there.

AdventureX has come a long way, and I'm excited to see where it goes in the future!

[delete}

Thank you, Ali and team, for organizing this years AdventureX! Though it felt a bit different, I had a great time watching the Twitch livestream. Now I'm listening to the Adventure-Treff podcast for even more information about the games in the showroom. Well done! And Francisco is right, the future looks even more promising.

Chicky

It's been a great weekend, I met so many lovely people! I played a whole bunch of awesome games, had more than enough time to finish a few of the demos I played and the atmosphere was so positively creative I'm on a bit of a high coming home. It was really inspiring to see so many people doing what they love and making a living from it, something I've wanted to do since forever. Some of my highlights were playing Lamplight City (sooo good!), the games journalism talk (heh, joystick totally caught me off guard (laugh)) Adventure Treff's talk on putting together a press kit (super useful!) and of course The Dark Room.

Talking of which, I won a doge tshirt (which shows off my figure beautifully), a timeless 'Now That's What I Call Music' CD and some shin guards, for dying, after only 4(?) screens :=

Andail

Oh, so that was you, hehe.

Yeah, as everyone will attest, this was a great adventureX. Great people, great talks, great games. Can't wait till next year!

cat

What an amazing event! It was great to see it grow in number of people but also in scope and topics.
It was a pleasure to see everyone again and also being able to put a few new faces to names.

Tom, Rebecca, Ali: You did a fantastic job, thank you so much for your hard work!

neon

After traveling for the whole week after AdventureX I'm back home and want to thank all you great people I met on AdventureX for a really good time. Especially Tom, Ali and Rebecca for doing a fantastic job (again) this year.

I'm also happy people found my talk about press work useful. I hope it helps you all to avoid unnecessary work and to have more time for what you're actually want to do: making great games.

See you all in 2017 again (hopefully).

Dave Gilbert

I never added my thoughts to this thread! A week late, but I have to say that this is the year where I felt that AdventureX officially "grew up." In years past it was just a "fun thing I did every year" but this time I really believed that I was part of something important. The fact that it was so packed you had to turn people away is evidence of that. I'm really honored to have been a part of it. Thanks again!

Edit: Oh and my talk is now up on Youtube. Woo!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk