Monkeys to the Moon! (MAGS winner)

Started by Radiant, Wed 31/08/2016 22:49:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

[embed=640,390]http://youtu.be/zQzQj7Sr_Lo[/embed]

Would you believe the MOON is a banana? Well, the monkeys do! And they're not going to take that lying down!

Using spare wood, electric eels, and gratuitous reed they plan to build a rocket to fly to the world's biggest banana! In space!

Control up to 25 monkeys as you scour the jungle for resources, build crafting workshops, breed more monkeys, and build The Rocket! Don't forget to defend yourself from hungry snakes. An RTS'like puzzle game made for August's MAGS contest.

Download here.

CaptainD

This looks just crazy enough to work...

Mandle

Holy Hell!!! This looks like a lot of fun!

But can we use one of the monkeys as a wrench?

Kumpel

Wow. This game is just awesome. Is this the first finished RTS game made with AGS? It's very rough on the edges (monkey KI for stone throwing is just terrible :D), but hell, it's a lot of fun!
Just one problem though:

Spoiler
My rocket is done but how to "complete the rocket"? I am stuffing it with bombs and ordering a monkey to complete it, but nothing happens apart from seeing him work shortly, then stopping and losing one bomb! (wtf) Haha I didn't notice there are more buildings to create before my monkeys can fly to the moon. Finished and totally loved it! The concept is brillant!
[close]

Radiant

As Mandle writes in the MAGS thread,

HOLY CHRIST!!!

A resource-gathering mechanical survival game in AGS!!!

Forget Factorio:

BANANATORIO FTW!!!

I haven't managed to finish the game yet, but I was stunned at how much there is to do, how well the interface works, how intuitive the game mechanics are, and how complicated the game gets after you birth 2 or 3 extra monkeys, and I believe you can attempt to control 25 total: WOOF!

This game is a tribute to how well and simply a game can work if the author really thinks out the coding structure ahead of time...

It probably also helps if you're the dude that created Heroine's Quest and have the know-how from that under your belt!

Seriously though: I'm going to be playing the absolute SHIT out of this game when I have the time!

cat

Great game so far! The tutorial was great.

Spoiler
I've build a rocket and that generator thing, but I can't build this spinner thing. Where can I place this? The game won't let me put it anywhere.
How can I use the torches against the snakes? I just produced lots of them.
I also have monkeys with weapons running around, but what does this do? Is this like the baskets that it improves a monkey stats?
[close]

cat

Now I got a crash when trying to save:

Spoiler

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An internal error has occurred. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.
(ACI version 3.3.0.1162)

Error: Save game directory overflow

OK   
[close]

Btw,
Spoiler
I've now build 3 generators and still can't build a spinner or launch the rocket. And what to do with the torches?
[close]

After a restart of the game, I finished it! This time the bug with placing the spinner did not occur. Final time: 37:44

Radiant

I'll go code my own saved game GUI to avoid the overload issue, which appears to be caused by AGS's ShowSaveGameDialog() function.

Spinners:
Spoiler
You should be able to place a spinner on open grass. If that doesn't work, please send me a saved game.
[close]
Torches:
Spoiler
Put down torches to keep snakes from eating there.
[close]
Weapons:
Spoiler
Weapon monkeys will chase off snakes when they appear.
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

The moon is definitey a banana. FACT.

Radiant

Aha!

Thank you, Cat. So the thing is, the game prevents you from building on the last tile of any particular kind of terrain, because you might need that resource (e.g. if you'd build on top of all trees, you wouldn't be able to harvest wood any more). I just forgot to make an exception for grass, which doesn't produce anything anyway. You can get around this by using the 'clear land' build option to turn any terrain into open grass.

Radiant

Quote from: xBRANEx on Fri 09/09/2016 22:15:33
A winner for me! A great game indeed! I haven't played it as much as I would like but it was awesome. The music is great too. The way it used the theme is also great with the moon as a banana.

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Fri 09/09/2016 22:01:01
I ended up playing this the longest and was amazed by how much you guys did in a month. I really loved the look of this game, and the rate at which things unlocked was perfect and kept me playing. The thing that kept me from finishing a playthrough was the resource and monkey management and I had a lot of trouble knowing what the mouse would select when I'd click. The music was also a bit repetitive; it totally fit the game but five minutes in I wanted to hear a different loop or at least be able to turn it down a bit.

Quote from: luisdementia on Fri 09/09/2016 15:33:00
I liked the game a lot! Great job.

Radiant

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 14/09/2016 18:27:24Cool concept, story, graphics, music and execution. Perfect in every way! Or almost... the tutorial tells met to add torches to keep the snakes away... but how do I make torches? (roll)

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 15/09/2016 15:42:29It's a complex and brilliantly coded RTS of the type I personally love and can't wait until I have more time to play it fully...

luisdementia

Congragulations for being the MAGS winner! It was a pleasure to take part in such an entertaining and fun game.

selmiak

Congrats on winning mags. This game really deserves it. I was about to vote for this game but still haven't played all MAGS games this month so it would have been unfair so I didn't vote yet and never will for this MAGS. Yay, congrats on winning!

Radiant

And a quick update for the new year; primarily to add our own saved game GUI. Enyoy ook!

cat

I just wanted to play the fixed version of Monkeys to the moon (I played the MAGS version back then that had some gamebreaking bugs) but I can't find an installer-free Windows version now. Is there one somewhere?

arj0n

cat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk