Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Sprouts of Evil by Slasher - 0 votes
• The Starry Sky Above Me by xBRANEx - 0 votes
• MINDBOGGLER by Ibispi and Babar - 1 votes
• Club of Evil by Dog Rat - 2 votes
• Graveyard by CaesarCub - 9 votes

Well done CaesarCub. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for November.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Sprouts of Evil by Slasher
Graveyard by CaesarCub
Club of Evil by Dog Rat
The Starry Sky Above Me by xBRANEx
MINDBOGGLER by Ibispi and Babar

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS SEPTEMBER

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: October 16th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Pure Evil
This month's guidelines were set by WHAM

It has been discovered (by someone or something) that EVIL is, in fact, a physical substance (liquid, slime, pills, pellets etc) that can be extracted from persons or inserted into persons (or animals, maybe? Plants? Machines? Bricks?) somehow. How much evil can there be in a brick, I wonder. Or a cat?

Rules:
> The game must be built around the premise described above
> The game must show or describe at least one sequence where EVIL is either extracted or inserted to/from someone/something
> Contestants are free to expand the theme at will (maybe something else can also be extracted / inserted? Good? Happiness? Love? Sorrow? Liberosis? Adronitis?)

Ending:  September 30th

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Radiant

Interesting concept, I may join again.

Something that came up in private discussion last month... how does MAGS feel about a logo screen, if you're MAGSing with a team that worked on prior games? Does this fall under prior material or is it more like a template?

Stupot

@Radiant - You mean just chucking the Crystal Shard splash screen at the beginning of the game? I can't see a problem with tha, myself. Does anyone have anything against this?

Mandle

A logo is fine I would say: It would seem a bit silly to say to someone: "Yes, you can have your logo but you must recreate it perfectly from scratch." (laugh)

Also, I would say that a logo is more part of the packaging for the game, rather than a part of the game itself: If you enter a homemade jam contest they don't disqualify you for not making the jar yourself ;)

VampireWombat

RIP Tasha Yar...

But yeah. This theme is already making me think of the first X-Files movie, the death of Tasha Yar in Star Trek: TNG, and to an extent Repo: The Genetic Opera and the Fifth Element.
So, there are many variations which could be done.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others come up with and even what I might come up with.

DBoyWheeler

Or maybe something similar to the Evil Energy from Mega Man 8?

Mandle

Slasher

If I get enough free time my game will be titled:

'Sprouts of evil...'

(laugh)

Funkpanzer

I'm in with a terrible game called 'Pith'! The storyline is finished and 2 of the 4 main puzzles are scripted, hopefully giving me more time to focus on sound and animations! :-D

Really looking forward to seeing where everyone takes this theme!

Crimson Wizard

This is such a nice topic, actually. If only I did not forget how to make games fast...
How do you people do this in several days? I am jealous :).

Radiant

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 07/09/2016 03:49:20
This is such a nice topic, actually. If only I did not forget how to make games fast...
How do you people do this in several days? I am jealous :).

CW, you're one of the best programmers we have. Focus on any game that's primarily about coding and doesn't require complex story or art, and you could probably pull it off in a couple days :)  It doesn't have to be an adventure game, for instance last month we had a racing game and an RTS/puzzle hybrid.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 07/09/2016 09:57:17
Focus on any game that's primarily about coding and doesn't require complex story or art, and you could probably pull it off in a couple days :)  It doesn't have to be an adventure game, for instance last month we had a racing game and an RTS/puzzle hybrid.

But I wanted to go to space make an adventure game!
Actually, I had invented a nice story overnight, but now the problem is how to make a very short game of it.

Slasher

QuoteActually, I had invented a nice story overnight, but now the problem is how to make a very short game of it.
Well, you have the scripting skills, Crimson which would definitely shorten the time taken to make a game. I'm the fastest one-finger typist around here (laugh)

You say you have a 'nice story'... that's a start....

My 'Sprouts of evil' idea is from an old tv comedy (won't mention title (laugh)) and another idea from a well know comedy sci-fi film (won't mention title (laugh) ) Put the two together and you have elements for an adventure game...

Of course once you have A and C you then just need to add all the elements of B.  Simples (laugh)

I, among others would love to see you produce a game, however basic.

3 weeks to go.....and counting down (nod)

Crimson Wizard

Typing a script is easy when you know what to script :).
The biggest problem for me is to convert a story into gameplay.
My first MAGS game was made in mere 5 days (although I had to use Roger sprites), but then I had a story that could be easily converted into sequence of puzzles. Now I do not... yet.

Mandle

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 08/09/2016 15:39:08
Typing a script is easy when you know what to script :).
The biggest problem for me is to convert a story into gameplay.
My first MAGS game was made in mere 5 days (although I had to use Roger sprites), but then I had a story that could be easily converted into sequence of puzzles. Now I do not... yet.

Maybe think outside the box of making a traditional puzzle-driven adventure game then?

Perhaps the story you have in mind is better suited to an interactive-fiction style, a simulation, or even an arcade-style where the story is unlocked through the between-level cutscenes?

We know you have the coding skills to pull off any kind of game genre...I'm just trying to brainstorm stupid ideas to trigger something for you...

A game made by the Wizard! My mouth is watering!

Cassiebsg

Plus, am sure you can click your fingers and get help for the art, if you ask around. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

You are now embarassing me... Scripting alone does not make a good game. I can script a bad gameplay, there will be wonderful script inside, but no one will know that because the game will be terrible and not interesting to play.

Slasher

That's negative thinking before you start Crimson.. look at me, it never stopped me (laugh)

I suppose some people were made to be scripter's and some people made to make games and a few made to script and make games.

When i was playing in bands you could give joe public a most intricate and complex song and get little applause. Then play a three chord rocker and have them clapping and cheering.. Life's a bitch (laugh)

Funkpanzer

There's always the "don't sleep for a whole month, most likely shortening your lifespan a handful of years" option!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk