MAGS September "Pure Evil" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/09/2016 00:14:45

Previous topic - Next topic

CaesarCub

Just make sure to get the latest version, I just had to make a small last minute fix :-[

Stupot

Quote from: Ibispi on Wed 28/09/2016 09:39:02
Hey, uh... Babar and I have been working on something and, uh... We may not be able to finish in time... so... uh...
Could we get an extension? Like a week? Or, if that's not allowed, then, half a week? Or, half of a half of a week?
Thanks.
A week is too far but I can extend until Sunday night (23:59 UK time) if that helps.

Nice looking entry, CaesarCub. I look forward to playing it.

VampireWombat

Thank you for the extension too. I had planned my game to be finished more or less the last minute tomorrow, but having the weekend to work on it means that I will actually be able to do some shading on my backgrounds, have better walk cycles, and make my GUIs not look like they were designed by a 4 year old.

Dog Rat

Hi again, guys. Well, I finished my first game: "Club of Evil". Don't expect much. Silly plot, easy puzzles, poor animations and almost no music at all (just in the title screen). But considering I did it in less than two weeks, I'm satisfied enough to put it here. Maybe in the near future I'll try to improve it.

Story: Nosferatu will tell us his story about how he discovered that he could not only drink people's blood but also the Evil inside them.

Download Link

DBoyWheeler

With the theme "Pure Evil", maybe if there were any remakes or "deluxe editions" of these games somewhere down the line, I can so see the possibility of one of the games having a cameo of our favorite cat-burglar-turned-paranormal-investigator, Trilby.

jwalt

Quote from: Dog Rat on Thu 29/09/2016 16:55:53
Well, I finished my first game: "Club of Evil".

Congrats! Trying to play it.

Spoiler
Think I may need the cross to get past the Vampiric Big Guy, but the pet rat seems to have made off with it. Did I miss something?

Other, minor things: Restore doesn't seem to list the saved games, but the load screen is working, once you can get to it. The info for the first inventory slot seems to be stuck on "Key." Seem to have trouble reentering the Cave after dining on Sofia. These may not be actual issues, just some comments.

[close]

Dog Rat

Thanks for the comments. The restore game dialog and the "Key" in the inventory were in my "things to fix" mental list. But I always forget about the things I put there. Both fixed.
Here's the new version.
About the other issues...
Spoiler

You don't need the cross to get past that part. Nosferatu is a vampire and hates crosses, so he won't get near one.
About reentering the cave, all I can think of is that you had your mouse set in Walk Mode when trying to get in. That always caused me some troubles I couldn't yet resolve. If it's any help, you don't really need to go there again.
You may experience a similar issue in the next room after the one you're in right now. I did my best trying to fix it but I'm not sure I achieved it. I'll investigate it a little more.
[close]

jwalt

Quote from: Dog Rat on Sat 01/10/2016 03:03:30
Thanks for the comments. The restore game dialog and the "Key" in the inventory were in my "things to fix" mental list. But I always forget about the things I put there. Both fixed.
Here's the new version.
About the other issues...

Appreciate the quick fixes! Looks like I'm just plain stumped. I posted a plea for help here:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53981.0

Mandle

I just finished Club Of Evil and...it was SO much fun!!!

It took me about 30 minutes to finish without any hints, just to give you an idea of game length...

I loved the:
Spoiler
Jerry Springer style last cut-scene: That was hilarious!
[close]

VampireWombat

Unfortunately, I've come to a realization in the last few minutes. Despite the extension, there's simply no way I can finish the game in time. There's simply too much left to do to possibly finish in 5 hours.
I do still plan to finish the game sometime in the future and I will expand upon what I was already planning to do.

I wish those still working on their games luck finishing by the deadline.

And I will probably try at least one of the finished games this afternoon.

xBRANEx

Hey, another game by BRANE. I didn't work a lot on this one. Just wanted to try the Tween module and I ended up with this game. I really like the idea I came up with and I finished the game because of the soundtrack I made, but it's a pity I didn't have more time to expand on the idea. I hope you'll enjoy the game and find something of value in it.

BRANE presents:

The Starry Sky Above Me

Game Link: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2095/

Ibispi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhzki5j5kbjwz3o/MINDBOGGLERGAME.zip?dl=0

00:03 as of the time I have uploaded it............. (laugh)

EDIT: added a screenshot

EDIT2: The game is called MINDBOGGLER. It is barely finished, a lot of the UI is not working... Because Babar was supposed to code the game and write all the dialogue, it ended up with me making the whole game in like 5 hours straight... and I just finished it. Babar didn't even code the main menu properly, but, at least the game can be completed now. :D

Stupot

Quote from: Ibispi on Mon 03/10/2016 00:03:53
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhzki5j5kbjwz3o/MINDBOGGLERGAME.zip?dl=0

00:03 as of the time I have uploaded it............. (laugh)

DISQUALIFIED!!!

Nah, just kidding. Have you got a screenshot?

Stupot

Well done everyone who made it. Commiserations to those who didnt.
The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Sprouts of Evil by Slasher
Graveyard by CaesarCub
Club of Evil by Dog Rat
The Starry Sky Above Me by xBRANEx
MINDBOGGLER by Ibispi and Babar

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS SEPTEMBER

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: October 16th

Mandle

WOW! Five games this month!

MAGS is really becoming consistently AWESOME!!!

I've played two, so here goes number three!

EDIT: Well... finished them all... I will write up some feedback later on when I've got the time...

EDIT: (FEEDBACK AND VOTE)

(Feedback and vote hidden to avoid spoilers)

Sprouts of Evil:
Spoiler
Exactly what we expect from a slasher game and exactly what he delivers: A fun game with some toilet humour and a ton of GUIS. Classic slasher...Not that much in the way of puzzles or challenges...A few tricky bits, and a load of laughs! I loved the square wheels on the VW... Well done mate...except that I actually LOVE sprouts...So tasty! Does that make me evil?!!
[close]

GRAVEYARD:
Spoiler
A beautiful game from a new (to us) pixel-art talent who could even rival AprilSkies... Everything about this game just reeks of game-dev talent... I've gushed over it enough elsewhere so I'll just leave this here...I'm pretty sure the author has already seen my feedback...
[close]

Club of Evil:
Spoiler
Another new dev just straight out of the blue...And with a first game this solid gameplay-wise, graphically, and even with a sardonic parody on mainstream media?! I had a ton of fun playing this game despite some confusing glitches... (Please add a *POOF* effect with a cloud of smoke and sound effect when changing bat/human form in a later version...)
[close]

The Starry Sky Above Me:
Spoiler
Lovely title and game that only had a very tacked-on reference to the theme... I tried shooting everywhere, including those messages from the company...Until I discovered right-click...Nice ending, although I thought at first that the sound of crickets chirping was a reflection on my performance...
[close]

MINDBOGGLER:
Spoiler
It seems like some drama happened during this game's dev-cycle, which is a shame because the story really had me interested and I still want to find out more about this time-overlapping world... I liked the ending "twist" but I didn't feel that it was quite earned yet... The drama had a lot to do with that I'm sure...
[close]

And so my vote must go to:

Spoiler
Club Of Evil!
I really thought I would be voting for Graveyard as a no-brainer for just how visually and technically brilliant it is, until I played Club Of Evil... It was a tough choice to make between the two, but in the end I gotta vote for Club Of Evil as it was the most fun I had playing any of the games...But...It was a 49%/51% kinda split...
[close]

None

I clicked the send vote link, and it just redirected me to the forum home page. Am I missing something? Nevermind, it decided to cooperate.

WHAM

I'll try and take an evening to play all of these over the weekend.
Will use this as an opportunity to do some twitch streaming testing / recording as well.

-W
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Shadow1000

My vote:

Spoiler
I had to vote for Graveyard. To me that's the clear-cut winner. Club of Evil was a GREAT contender and would have received my vote otherwise.

When I see a MAGS game that is so complete, so polished, has "extras" such as multiple characters, well-designed puzzles and had it been done as a stand alone game rather than a MAGS entry with a time constraint, it just says "vote for me!".

Well done!
[close]

Dog Rat

Thanks for the comments, guys. :-D
As for me:
Spoiler

Graveyard is indeed the best of the bunch and, like someone pointed out earlier, it really felt like the introduction to a bigger story. It would have been nice to have some more teamwork, but I understand that's not easy to make in such a short time. Also, art was really great. So there goes my vote.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk