AGS 3.4.0

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 15/09/2016 21:10:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Gord10

Quote from: Screen 7 on Tue 03/01/2017 18:14:09
Did you try the installer version of 3.4, or did you use the 2 zip files? Maybe the installer helps? (though if your ags is in x86 that sounds like you used the installer)..
I used the installer.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

MiteWiseacreLives!

Is anyone else having issues with saving sprites? An error with back-up sprite file. It comes and goes for no apparent reason, perhaps related to Win 10 updates or Avast antivirus???

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Mon 16/01/2017 08:09:28
Is anyone else having issues with saving sprites? An error with back-up sprite file. It comes and goes for no apparent reason, perhaps related to Win 10 updates or Avast antivirus???
Did you try the version I sent you earlier?

MiteWiseacreLives!

It throws an error msg and freezes on the splash screen. Are there some files missing from that package? I can get that msg as well once I'm at my computer.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Mon 16/01/2017 15:12:55
It throws an error msg and freezes on the splash screen. Are there some files missing from that package? I can get that msg as well once I'm at my computer.
What is error text?
Make sure you have the latest version of the editor, found here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54118.0
Then copy the new exe over original installation.

MiteWiseacreLives!

OK so replaced the files with the new ones, I did not clue in to this earlier, and AGS now fires up.
Got the same error message when trying to save after importing a sprite.
But now I seem to have broke my game:

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An error occurred whilst trying to load your game. The error was:

Unable to load the sprite file ACSPRSET.SPR. The file may be missing, corrupt or it may require a newer version of AGS.

If you cannot resolve the error, please post on the AGS Technical Forum for assistance.
OK   

it looks like the acsprset.spr file has been emptied (File size is zero), I'm going to try using the sprite back up (which is now questionable) to replace it.
Edit:
Alright, so I was able to load the game after using the back up sprite file and replacing the original.
But even with the new build and running it as an administrator I get this error when I save after importing a new sprite:
Error: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
Version: AGS 3.4.0.13

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at SpriteCache.saveToFile(SpriteCache* , SByte* , Int32 , Boolean )
   at save_sprites(Boolean compressSprites, List`1 warnings)
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.SaveGame(Game game, List`1 warnings)
   at AGS.Editor.NativeProxy.SaveGame(Game game, List`1 warnings)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.SaveGameFilesProcess(Object parameter)
   at AGS.Editor.BusyDialog.RunHandlerOnThread()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at AGS.Editor.BusyDialog.Show(String message, ProcessingHandler handler, Object parameter)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.SaveGameFiles()
   at AGS.Editor.Components.FileCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolBarManager.ToolbarEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolStripExtended.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Crimson Wizard

Alright, better not to use that test build for now then, looks like it broke more than fixed.
I may try to fix it, but I need to know if you are okay testing it out, which may take several iterations, and ofcourse using it only with expendable copies of your game.

Also, why are you running it as administrator, are there problems running it as a regular user?

BTW, you mentioned Avast antivirus before, it is known for causing problems with AGS.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Yah I have no problem testing it while I work with this little game, lots of assets to work on while the editor is being cranky.
I run as administrator because it's one of the things I tried the last time and the problem disappeared for a week or two.
I'll also look into a different antivirus, any suggestions? Are there ones that don't hate AGS so much?

Crimson Wizard

I would like to lock this thread, because there is a newer patched version of 3.4.0:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54118.0

It should be absolutely safe to update from older 3.4.0, so please do if you are still using unpatched one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk